Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Second mod of 3 done to The Beast

Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default Second mod of 3 done to The Beast

Mod 1 - painted mirror covers from AM. Done a couple weeks ago.

Mod 2 - Do something about that Shaker 1000! So I followed much of the guidance from everyone here on the forums and went with the Pioneer x940bt. Had it installed at the local Best Buy and the guy did everything perfect. Fit and finish...looks so much better than the S1000 HU! I have nothing but praise for how it looks. Sound > I'm running the stock subs and amps but replaced the Ford speakers with Focals and it sounds frickin awesome. I have this soundtrack from an outdoor show that we see occasionally where it's a prerecorded track with live action, so the sound is always the same. And it's a really loud show. Using that as my baseline, I've got it so it literally feels like I'm at the show live. It's just awesome. I sometimes have to tweak the sub levels for the style of music m listening to at the time, but with the custom EQ profile I've got setup, it's perfect. Tie into the phone over BT to Samsung Galaxy Nexus is perfect. Far far better than the 2010 Shaker 500's BT SYNC ever worked. Nav works really good too. My only complaint is I cant get it to stream BT audio and plugging in my Zune, it's not compatible so Im going to have to consider finally getting an iPod.

Mod 3 - Rear quarter window louvers. Cant say when that will happen. Just had surgery and some of those bills will be rolling in and I need to have another one probably early next year. Then one vacation and one family reunion plus holidays are coming up. Maybe that's what I'll ask for come Xmas time.

Power mods at this point...still not really considering any. I totally smoked a Lightning today and I've smoked everything I've raced except a liter bike that probably would be stupid power to me even though we were running even. Other than that, just loving every minute of this car (named The Beast) and so glad to be part of the GT500 family.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, do not mess with a liter bike in stock form. I would still recommend you look at getting the CAI/pulley/tune combo. It really wakes the car up!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidasUNT8
Yeah, do not mess with a liter bike in stock form. I would still recommend you look at getting the CAI/pulley/tune combo. It really wakes the car up!
I have the pulley puller (the same one from the guy who does the M90 pulley for up to 500hp), and the X3. I've read some things that indicate that even with the pulley puller that replacing it is not really a good at home project and might need a shop. I did see that AM and Steeda is claiming something like 90 rwhp with the tune and CAI swap. That's just insanity if that's true. I've done CAI's on both the 06 and then the 10 (before the M90) with Bama tunes and it was better throttle response, etc....but nothing like 90 rwhp. Good thing I bought that extra set of rear tires if I do it!

It is kinda lame that I have no mods worth listing in my sig
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

90rwhp for just a tune and cai is not impossible on these cars but definitely on the higher end of the spectrum..To give u a for instance ... My car was stock at 440 Rwhp; with ford racings cold air and conservative ford tune went up to 483 Rwhp... With Justin at vmp's tune it went to 516 Rwhp...(76rwhp from stock)
With smaller 2.6 pulley it rose to 544 Rwhp ... So tune cai and pulley I gained 104 Rwhp over stock... Save for the big gainer though.. Vmp TVS ... Stock 440rwhp... Now 676 Rwhp and 666 torque ...
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
90rwhp for just a tune and cai is not impossible on these cars but definitely on the higher end of the spectrum..To give u a for instance ... My car was stock at 440 Rwhp; with ford racings cold air and conservative ford tune went up to 483 Rwhp... With Justin at vmp's tune it went to 516 Rwhp...(76rwhp from stock)
With smaller 2.6 pulley it rose to 544 Rwhp ... So tune cai and pulley I gained 104 Rwhp over stock... Save for the big gainer though.. Vmp TVS ... Stock 440rwhp... Now 676 Rwhp and 666 torque ...
Nice numbers Cheftjpeck! I went the same route you did. Started out with the JLT 110 CAI/VMP tune/2.6 pulley and I was right at 550rwhp. With the VMP TVS as well with some supporting mods. Before just recently installing the lower 10% pulley, 3.73's, Longtubes, and o/r x I was at 650 rwhp. I'm going to get it dyno'd soon again. I'm expecting 715rwhp give or take a little now Good times!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 AM
stephen-2010gt500
1st Gear Member

The CAI/Pulley/Tune is the route I am planning for my 2010 GT500, can't wait to see the numbers from the base 540HP...
Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

VMP pulley kit...that is the one I have. Has anyone done the pulley swap themselves and did you use the VMP pulley puller? http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=338&parent=88 .... I bought this from someone here on the MF's for the M90 but never used it and kinda glad I didnt.

I've done pulley's like water and PS pumps before and should or will have the tools needed. My compressor is too wimpy to push this is I do make the plunge.

To boot - I have the X3 but prolly cheaper to get the tunes from Bama since it was tunes for life...has anyone used theirs instead of Justin's at VMP? Not knocking Justin - sounds like he knows his stuff well. Just looking to get max value.

Last edited by wcgman; 09-13-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Haha, a liter bike will make you feel really small and slow right away..

As for the pulley swaps, I'm not sure how it is on the stock eatons but I know it's not hard on the KBs.. Then again those aren't press ons.. I would imagine it's more of a pain to put the pulley on then it is to take off since it's press on..
Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Which Best Buy did you use? Would be nice to find one where the install guys know what they are doing.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CPTCO
Which Best Buy did you use? Would be nice to find one where the install guys know what they are doing.
The one on Mississippi and 225 in Aurora. Jeremy is the installer. If you can, ask to talk to Al the store manager and tell him that Earl from CES in Vegas sent you. He'll make sure you get a good deal and that Jeremy hooks you up. Don't let Jeremy's appearance fool you...he looks like a 6'4" Jesus, but he's cool as hell and so is Al the store manager.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Second mod of 3 done to The Beast