Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

For the 07-09 Peeps that have not done the Clutch/Flywheel TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default For the 07-09 Peeps that have not done the Clutch/Flywheel TSB

DOOOO IT.

Even if you have to pay out of pocket and you feel no symptoms.
Ours had some but the syncros were fine.

The reason for the post is the DIFFERENCE in behavior.
This clutch flywheel setup is AMAZING.

I can't even describe it.
Light as a feather, no troubles when starting up hill, no skids in rain.
It almost feels like an automatic as far as having NO ISSUES.

You will jump for joy, shat your pants on the way down, and then drive the car for eight hours with the turd in your pants not even caring just from the joy you get from the new ride.

Not only that, you wont have to worry about sometime in the future getting stranded on the road, or damaging the syncros later.

Without warranty, parts, install, and all will run you about 1800 which is WELL worth it. Consider it an investment towards the health of the vehicle in the future. Then ENJOY IT!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Don't get too excited yet, there are many many people that have had the tsb done and had problems down the road too, the 2010 clutch cannot handle the major torque/abuse that the older style can
Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I will say I remember when I had my tsb done it was better for sure... Clutch fried 40,000 miles later and now I have my mccleod rxt.. All I can say is WOW!! Even better than post TSB... So IMO, if you are going to replace your clutch and flywheel out of pocket... Then skip the ford one and jump to the mccleod rxt...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM
krshelbykr

Is there a lighter clutch feel after?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by krshelbykr
Is there a lighter clutch feel after?
Yes on the tsb
Yes x 1000 w the mccleod rxt
Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Yes x 1000 on the TSB too.

The new clutch is as light as friggin AIR.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Yes x 1000 on the TSB too.

The new clutch is as light as friggin AIR.
I assure you that the mccleod rxt is even lighter
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM
mickman
1st Gear Member

OK for all of us who are not intimately knowledgeable about this subject, what are you talking about ? I've never seen the TSB, have heard a little about clutch issues, but what are the details ?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:24 AM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mickman
OK for all of us who are not intimately knowledgeable about this subject, what are you talking about ? I've never seen the TSB, have heard a little about clutch issues, but what are the details ?
Clutches on the 07-09 GT500's are prone the shuddering/chattering when taking off. The clutch was redesigned for 2010, & there used to be a TSB allowing dealers to replace the the 07-09 clutches with the upgraded 2010 type. Then Ford supposedly looked at the parts they took off & determined that there was no abnormal wear, and that clutch shudder is "a normal operating characteristic" of this clutch. They're not changing them anymore, leaving those of us who have the older clutches to get them replaced at our own expense.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:04 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I have the original clutch. I was getting the shudder, etc... and after letting my wife drive it once when she had zero problems, I realized the problem was me. After all the mustangs we've had, this clutch is way different. I still revert to my old ways, but I find if I don't apply nearly as much if any throttle and then let the clutch out much faster there is no shudder. The characteristics of it are just way different. My father in law who's a truck driver puts it this way...clutch is in or out, no inbetween. That's very true on a big truck. I should let him drive the Shelby and not tell him about the clutch to see how he does given he's been driving manuals since God made dirt.

Quick Reply: For the 07-09 Peeps that have not done the Clutch/Flywheel TSB