Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

2013 GT500 Stock Clutch Vs McLeod RXT - An Inside Look From Lethal Performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Default 2013 GT500 Stock Clutch Vs McLeod RXT - An Inside Look From Lethal Performance

Some of you may have the itch to make more power right away like us. Whether you're going just bolt ons, or big blower, the stock clutch is only going to take you so far before it's time to consider a different option.

As we normally do with our Lethal cars, we turned to our friends at McLeod Racing once we noticed signs of slipping with the stock twin disc. With the power continued to be turned up, we knew this would be inevitable.

Take a look at the comparison between stock and the coveted McLeod RXT:

Name:  DSC_0365.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  3.07 MB

Even side by side, you can tell the McLeod clutch is a no games set up, ready to help hone up to 1000HP.

While the car was at Power By The Hour, and up on the lift, we took a few shots as we mounted the clutch. You can see the discs are fresh and ready to race!

Name:  DSC_0389.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  3.09 MB
Name:  DSC_0391.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  3.54 MB
Name:  DSC_0392.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  3.39 MB
Name:  DSC_0395.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  3.52 MB

The version we chose to run with was the Mcleod 2010-2013 GT500 Sprung Hub RXT StreetTwin Disc Clutch Kit.

You can view all of the available McLeod options here: 2013 GT500 McLeod Racing Clutches

Ah, much better.

Name:  DSC_0396.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  3.54 MB

All in all, the McLeod RXT is the perfect choice for an GT500 owner looking for a significant upgrade over the stock twin disc clutch. Consistent and smooth release feel, matched with tremendous power support, for a reasonable price? There really isn't anything like it out there.

Name:  DSC_0510.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  2.87 MB

One other thing since we're on the topic, a lot of you have given us feedback on the stock shifter tolerating hard shifting on the track. Not an uncommon complaint with the newer Shelbys, but we have the fix for this as well.

Name:  m5lp_1211_13_2013_gt500_bolt_ons_let_it_eat_.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  36.9 KB

2013 GT500 Barton Shifters have always lived up to their reputation. Flawless build quality, fit and finish. These shifters matched up with the McLeod clutch is a pretty nasty combo. Jeremy Martorella, our driver, is not typically a fan of short shifters, but was quite impressed with the performance.

Should you have any questions about anything mentioned or other parts on the site, feel free to give us a call, email, live chat or PM!

877-2LETHAL
Lethal Performance.com
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Great write up!!! I agree the mccleod rxt is hands down the best clutch out there.. Feel, shifting smoothness etc.. Just have over 1000 miles in mine now and with over 676 Rwhp and 666 torque.. I feel comfortable that I made the right choice.. For the price.... Best investment
Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Default RXT

Is there a big difference between the sprung and standard RXT clutch in the chatter noise they might make?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM
TheLockNLoad
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info! And where do I get that sweet A&W tool?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
Great write up!!! I agree the mccleod rxt is hands down the best clutch out there.. Feel, shifting smoothness etc.. Just have over 1000 miles in mine now and with over 676 Rwhp and 666 torque.. I feel comfortable that I made the right choice.. For the price.... Best investment
I'm in the same boat with you... I Have a few thousand miles on mine at this point and it holds like a champ. ~725rwhp. Just wish the tires had as much holding power as the RXT does haha..
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidasUNT8
I'm in the same boat with you... I Have a few thousand miles on mine at this point and it holds like a champ. ~725rwhp. Just wish the tires had as much holding power as the RXT does haha..
LOL... Yeah if ya solve the tire issue let me know.. I'm about to switch out of the BFg kdw 2 on back to the continental extreme contact dw
Old 02-20-2013, 05:07 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
LOL... Yeah if ya solve the tire issue let me know.. I'm about to switch out of the BFg kdw 2 on back to the continental extreme contact dw
Good choice on tires. I have those Continentals and am quite satisfied. The ride and comfort is great; as good or better than stock. And they're lightweight. Turn-in isn't as sharp as the stock tires, but not bad at all. Good grip, too.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

I was thinking a Spec. Stage1 with Spec aluminum flywheel for my GT, it's Boss/92 tune with 410 at the ground, bomb proofed rear and suspension, welded tubes Alloy's Yukon LCB, with Swarr-bar. I plan to do typically 10-14 passes a day and maybe 4 trips to the Drag Strip a season.

My Tech at the shop says McLeod is the way to go, but he's full bore Nos 10sec auto type.
I wan't a D/D I can still parallel park and not get one large thighed on. I don't see F/I in my future but I will pull 450 wheel or around 500 at the crack N/A soon. Which Mcleod model is best for me. They are pricey but may hold up better then a Spec. $250ish.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlueFrank68
I was thinking a Spec. Stage1 with Spec aluminum flywheel for my GT, it's Boss/92 tune with 410 at the ground, bomb proofed rear and suspension, welded tubes Alloy's Yukon LCB, with Swarr-bar. I plan to do typically 10-14 passes a day and maybe 4 trips to the Drag Strip a season.

My Tech at the shop says McLeod is the way to go, but he's full bore Nos 10sec auto type.
I wan't a D/D I can still parallel park and not get one large thighed on. I don't see F/I in my future but I will pull 450 wheel or around 500 at the crack N/A soon. Which Mcleod model is best for me. They are pricey but may hold up better then a Spec. $250ish.

Thanks
I have the Mcleod RXT with about 730/740rwhp. It drives like a stock clutch and I really couldn't be happier with the performance of it. With your power level you could get by just fine with the RST, which is the RXT's little brother. Supports up-to 7xx rwhp/tq I believe. The pedal feels really light on these things and the bite is not too aggressive
Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Thanxs Adidas, I'll check-out the RST on AM and Summit.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT500 Stock Clutch Vs McLeod RXT - An Inside Look From Lethal Performance