Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Looking to purchase 07-09 GT500, general impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 AM
AMGWTFBBQ

Hey, I've got an '09 GT500 coupe with 14,500 miles. Dark grey with black stripes. Very firm at $23,900. The car is in PERFECT shape. I'd like to sell it to someone who really appreciates these cars. Tires, brakes, everything is in excellent shape, sitting in a heated/cooled garage right now.

Give me a call if you're interested. My name is Russell. (704) 674-3272
Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Before I built my supercharged '08 GT I drove a few '08/'09 Shelbys for a comparison and frankly the only advantage compared to my supercharged 4.6L was a lot more torque at low RPM's. I actually like the way the supercharged 4.6L runs better. I definitely would much rather have a Roush Supercharged 5.0L than a '08 Shelby. I think the only real advantage to buying an '08 Shelby is that you can say, "I have a Shelby!" If you have to own a Shelby than that is the issue for you buying a car like Russell's might be the answer.

I just like want the best looking and running car! As I've said before, I think a "supercharged" 5.0L with Boss 302 internals would be my choice over the larger Shelby engine unless you want to build it to 700 HP! Call it the Supercharged Coyote Mustang with smooth running around town, good mileage and 600+ HP! Too bad Ford doesn't agree with me! I think Ford could sell many more of them based on CAFE mileage standards. I've gotten 27.5 MPG with the car below on the interstate.

I love supercharged Mustangs, but then what do I know, I'm not 14 to 25 yrs. old, but rather just an old guy consumer with the money ready to spend! That's my advice Ford! So, if you use my GREAT idea.... I expect Ford to send me one as payment for using my brilliant marketing idea! I'll even appear in your commercials to sell them to "Old Car Guys" with money!

I'm waiting to hear from you Ford Executives! Do the smart thing!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-11-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

This thread is getting too TEK...
Old 09-14-2013, 02:23 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Before I built my supercharged '08 GT I drove a few '08/'09 Shelbys for a comparison and frankly the only advantage compared to my supercharged 4.6L was a lot more torque at low RPM's. I actually like the way the supercharged 4.6L runs better. I definitely would much rather have a Roush Supercharged 5.0L than a '08 Shelby. I think the only real advantage to buying an '08 Shelby is that you can say, "I have a Shelby!" ![/B]

You obviously drove the wrong 08 Shelby's ..
I will disagree 100% ..,
For someone who has owned both (a supercharged 4.6 gt)
And a Shelby .. It is a wee bit more than just better torque at low rpm's

I am not going to start a debate with the reasons why because many have pointed this out over the years at nauseam. I'm not knocking supercharged gt nor am I puffing out my chest and saying mine is bigger than yours ..
Just stating that to claim the ONLY difference between the 2 models is low end torque and "Shelby" name is totally 100% BS ...
With all due respect
Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
You obviously drove the wrong 08 Shelby's ..
I will disagree 100% ..,
For someone who has owned both (a supercharged 4.6 gt)
And a Shelby .. It is a wee bit more than just better torque at low rpm's

I am not going to start a debate with the reasons why because many have pointed this out over the years at nauseam. I'm not knocking supercharged gt nor am I puffing out my chest and saying mine is bigger than yours ..
Just stating that to claim the ONLY difference between the 2 models is low end torque and "Shelby" name is totally 100% BS ...
With all due respect
No need for debate here! Of course the difference is "not" only "low end torque"!

My point was that in my opinion my Roush Supercharged 4.6L GT compares very well to the 08' Shelby's. I drove a few '08 Shelbys and timed one of them that ran fine in 0 to 60 times! While the top speed I can't comment on, the 0 to 60 times were very little different than the Roush Supercharged 4.6L (Two Tenths faster) I grant the Shelby wins easily in maximum speed!

0 to 80 acceleration is what I care about. If your GT was as quick as mine you would agree that if you make a small mistake with the average '08 Shelby, you'll be looking at the rear of a 08' Roush Super charged GT. Other superchargers I don't know about!

My intended point is that the small acceleration advantage from 0 to 60/70 an '08 Shelby has over a 4.6L Roush Supercharged GT is not major! The big advantage is in building the Shelby motor for maximum HP.

Bottomline: Buy what will make you happy without making you poor! My opinions often try to remind poor young guys that can't (or shouldn't afford) spending 65-70K on a Shelby can have a really nice Mustang by buying a clean, used 05-08 low mileage GT and adding a Roush Supercharger and a better set of struts and shocks at less than half the price!

I also wonder if you where using the Roush Supercharger on you GT or some other brand? Other brands may be different! I could not be happier with the Roush Supercharger! To my taste I liked drivng the GT 4.6L Supercharged a little better than the heavier engined '08 Shelby,
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

No need for debate here!
Then STOP trying to debate.
Your posts in this thread have NO bearing on the questions asked in the OP.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcon Fixer
Then STOP trying to debate.
Your posts in this thread have NO bearing on the questions asked in the OP.
WOW! I'm not debating, but rather expressing a "general opinion" about the subject as mentioned in the title of the thread! If the thread is not about "general opinions" about buying an '07 to '09 GT 500, or something else, it should have been worded differently! If a person suggests that a supercharged 5.0L GT at 575 HP is another choice a person can make when wanting a Mustang is certainly not spitting on anyone's GT 500! It is simply expressing an opinion on choices available when wanting to buy a nice Mustang! It was not meant to demean anyone else's car! I do apologize that I failed to notice you have an '08 GT 500 below your post when I responded and I must have hurt your feelings although I certainly didn't say anything negative about your car! Sorry, that was not intended! I was responding to the choices available with a given amount of money, not running down older GT 500's

You might consider that we can't all tip toe around with our opinions lest someone get their shorts in a knot or there is really no reason to have a forum except for cheerleading to make you feel good about your car! Evidently you feel no one should buy anything but a GT 500... which is I respect, but if you disagree with my opinion it seems you could simply say that you diagree without getting angry, or just have ignored it! Telling me my opinion is not welcome in the thread is not the best way to deal with the situation and seems just a tad dictatorial!

P.S., I may be buying a new GT 500 myself soon ... but I don't think everyone has to agree with my opinion, or shut up! There are other great choices in Mustangs!

Sorry if I offended you!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-16-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:59 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

WOW! I'm not debating, but rather expressing a "general opinion" about the subject as mentioned in the title of the thread! If the thread is not about "general opinions" about buying an '07 to '09 GT 500, or something else, it should have been worded differently! If a person suggests that a supercharged 5.0L GT at 575 HP is another choice a person can make when wanting a Mustang is certainly not spitting on anyone's GT 500! It is simply expressing an opinion on choices available when wanting to buy a nice Mustang! It was not meant to demean anyone else's car! I do apologize that I failed to notice you have an '08 GT 500 below your post when I responded and I must have hurt your feelings although I certainly didn't say anything negative about your car! Sorry, that was not intended! I was responding to the choices available with a given amount of money, not running down older GT 500's

You might consider that we can't all tip toe around with our opinions lest someone get their shorts in a knot or there is really no reason to have a forum except for cheerleading to make you feel good about your car! Evidently you feel no one should buy anything but a GT 500... which is I respect, but if you disagree with my opinion it seems you could simply say that you diagree without getting angry, or just have ignored it! Telling me my opinion is not welcome in the thread is not the best way to deal with the situation and seems just a tad dictatorial!

P.S., I may be buying a new GT 500 myself soon ... but I don't think everyone has to agree with my opinion, or shut up! There are other great choices in Mustangs!

Sorry if I offended you!
LOL... Have you ever written a post without bold and or underlines? Or even one that is less than 3++ paragraphs?

For the record I'm not offended by your "opinions" just disagree with them..

PS: for the record the op never even asked about a gt or 5.0... He asked for info and comparisons of a 07-09 gt500 and 03-04 cobra.. Not that any of this matters since thread is a year old

Last edited by cheftjpeck; 09-16-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Im going to beat the dead horse here. I've owned 2 '97's (1 6c and 1GT vert), an 06 GT with a bunch of toys bolted on, a 10 GT with even more toys and a Roush M90, and right now I own an 07 GT500 as well as an 07GT 'vert with Ford Racing supercharger and full suspension.

The Shelby is in my opinion the best out of any of the mustangs I've ever had the pleasure of owning. It is the fastest I've owned in a straight line, but the 07 GT vert with the FR suspension definitely feels more planted in the corners than even my Shelby.

The 07 vert with the FR supercharger doesn't feel anywhere as brutal or fast as the Shelby or the '10 that I had with some suspension, M90 and 4.10 gears.

The only thing I would trade my GT500 for is another GT500. I can't say how the Roush factory cars feel as I've never driven one, but my 10 had the M90 and roush springs and control arms but still wasnt as nice as the GT500 in my opinion. That's not to say it sucked. It most definitely did not suck. It was a blast to drive and I really enjoyed every minute, but it still wasn't as fast nor did it have the baseline potential.

As for "reminding" the younger guys on here that they need to be fiscally responsible, that statement seems ridiculous given that we own mustangs to begin with. Fiscally responsible people do not own mustangs. They own cars that are completely about utility like a gas sipping Honda or Toyota that is white with 13" wheels. I personally think that coming on here and asking advice about money is just something that you shouldn't do. If you have to ask someone if you can afford it, then you probably can't to begin with.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
LOL... Have you ever written a post without bold and or underlines? Or even one that is less than 3++ paragraphs?

For the record I'm not offended by your "opinions" just disagree with them..

PS: for the record the op never even asked about a gt or 5.0... He asked for info and comparisons of a 07-09 gt500 and 03-04 cobra.. Not that any of this matters since thread is a year old
Wow! I'd hate to see you when you are offended! Yikes!

After all this, you actually are telling me: "Not that any of this matters since thread is a year old!" LOL! I guess I'll have to pay more attention to the dates on posts! But isn't it strange that you still somehow needed to jump in and tell me I should not have posted my opinion, how many paragraphs I should write, and when I can use bold type or underlines! I have to wonder what would else you have criticized if it had actually mattered!

Here's a deal for both of us! (in bold print) How about we let it go now and move on, but we agree that neither of us needs tell the other what we can post, how many paragraphs it is allowed to be, or even when we are allowed to use bold type or even underline! Fair enough? How about we let people have different opinions and not be upset by them! Again, I didn't realize my opinion was being offensive and so out of place in this thread! It's a good thing I didn't suggest someone look at a Boss 302 or I'd have to be hunted done and killed! Yikes!

By the way, I looked up your car! Very nice!

I'm done with this and I hope you are too!!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-17-2013 at 01:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase 07-09 GT500, general impressions...