Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Shelby Gt Guidance Please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 PM
3 tons

Default Shelby Gt Guidance Please...

I've been thinking about a Shelby Gt, 2007 with 4.6 24v and manual transmission, but don't really know much about this model stang. I have no idea how much they originally cost (over a standard GT) when new, yet they seem to be essentially a minor trim variant over the standard GT (??). Also, whether today worth the additional cost over a pre-owned 4.6 GT. Unlike the Shelby 500, not sure about whether it will hold its value or ever become a 'true' classic.

Advice Appreciated...

3 tons
Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The Shelby GT is a true Shelby modified car. It started as a stock spoiler delete GT and was shipped to Vegas where it was upfitted with what became the GT/CS appearance package, Shelby hood scoop, Ford racing CAI, a shelby specific tune, borla axelbacks, lowering springs and a hurst short throw shifter. you also got your choice of color of either black/silver or white/silver.

It will always hold its value as they were only produced for retail sale for two years(three if you count the 2006 Hertz cars)
Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 PM
3 tons

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
The Shelby GT is a true Shelby modified car. It started as a stock spoiler delete GT and was shipped to Vegas where it was upfitted with what became the GT/CS appearance package, Shelby hood scoop, Ford racing CAI, a shelby specific tune, borla axelbacks, lowering springs and a hurst short throw shifter. you also got your choice of color of either black/silver or white/silver.

It will always hold its value as they were only produced for retail sale for two years(three if you count the 2006 Hertz cars)
PNYXPRESS, I greatly appreciate your informed comments, yet I've never even driven the newer generation Mustangs...So I'm also curious about how one would rate the overall performance...Though (at 62) I'm not a fast driver, would you say that the performance of the 2007 4.6 is still somewhat impressive by todays standards?? Sorry, but I just really have no practical idea....

Thanks,

3 tons
Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

In 2011 when the GT's came with the 5.0's the old 4.6 3 valves really took a backseat performance wise, but they are still decent.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3 tons
would you say that the performance of the 2007 4.6 is still somewhat impressive by todays standards??
I would say yes, my stock 4.6L still impresses me with its low end torque and the SGT is supposed to have more tq and hp plus a steeper rear gear so added get up and go.

The SGT comes standard with the most popular mods, so you really just have to enjoy the car.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 AM
3 tons

Thanks again for this valuable info!

Best Regards,

3 tons
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Ive seen less of these than I have GT500's if that is of any consequence to you.
I LOVE them too.

They are my favorite 4.6 stangs.
I think they will definitely become classics along with the GT500's.

The GT500 has a TON more power with its 5.4 engine and supercharger....and room for growth, but the Shelby GT is an EXCELLENT car if you are looking for a unique 4.6, in fact that's as unique as it gets for factory.

They did not come with much more performance than the 4.6 GT, but they did come with some, and the looks of the Shelby GT.... HELL YES.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I had a 2005 GT and when I drove my 2008 Shelby GT for the first time I was amazed at how much better the Shelby was, even with the same basic engine.
The suspension improvements (the convertible didn't get the shock upgrade that the coupes got), the intake and tune made it completely out-handle the stock GT.
I drove a 5.0 the first year they brought it back. Was that 2011? The Shelby would still run circles around the 5.0 on a road course, though probably not a drag strip.

I browse eBay once in a while and today I saw one SGT coupe that is in pretty much factory stock as they come. They want about $28,000 but it's got enough mileage on it that it should go for lower, about $25,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WE-FINANCE-2008-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-PREMIUM-SHELBY-HURST-5-SPEED-NAV-XENON-21K-/151071091327?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item232c89ea7f
My vert has about the same mileage and I'd want about $30,000 should I ever find another car I'd like to own better, which doesn't seem likely.
The Shelby name will help it hold it value a bit better than a stock GT.

If buying one used you really need to have it looked over by a Shelby expert. There are a lot of clones and ones that are missing key components. The guys on teamshelby.com are usually willing to help.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 AM
3 tons

This is a fantastic forum and I thank everyone for educating me...So I thought that you'all ought to be the first to know...BOUGHT IT !!

Best Regards,

3 tons
Old 06-30-2013, 01:10 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3 tons
This is a fantastic forum and I thank everyone for educating me...So I thought that you'all ought to be the first to know...BOUGHT IT !!

Best Regards,

3 tons
PICS!!!! and congrats.

Quick Reply: Shelby Gt Guidance Please...