Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

JLT Big Air carbon fiber on an 07

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default JLT Big Air carbon fiber on an 07

Got the unit for christmas and finally got around to installing it with an AM tune. So first and second gear, flooring it is just pure insanity and stupidity. Even with the TCS on... But man it's fun.

No I didnt do the pulley swap and not planning to.

The one thing that I will comment on is that I had to cut away part of the heat shield to get it to fit, then after struggling for probably 30 minutes trying to get the air filter to attach, gave up and assembled the whole thing outside of the car. In simplest terms, the heat shield install was a disappointment and the poor fitment. Also the air filter simply is way too tight. I ended up having to use a flat blade screwdriver to get is over the carbon fiber tube.

But it looks great and with the tune, mucho power. Only reservations is that the install sucks and the filter is way too tight for the tube.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 AM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Cool. I use the JLT plastic big air and had no issues with the fit. They really make a good product. I know you said you weren't going to do the pulley swap, but if you think it's fun now.... It would really wake the car up. The combo the VMP sells with the pulley/tune would be a nice upgrade to your combo IMHO. Regardless, congrats on the new power!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:32 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT500Steve
Cool. I use the JLT plastic big air and had no issues with the fit. They really make a good product. I know you said you weren't going to do the pulley swap, but if you think it's fun now.... It would really wake the car up. The combo the VMP sells with the pulley/tune would be a nice upgrade to your combo IMHO. Regardless, congrats on the new power!
I have the vmp pulley swap tool...just nervous about pulling it and potentially screwing up the the SC.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Do it! Pulley swap!!! That was the best mod ever for my 03. Are you worried about messing up the install, or the extra boost? The install really isn't bad at all as long as you are careful and pay attention.

Also, +1 on JLT intakes. I've got a C&L on mine now because I got a deal, but my last two Mustangs had a JLT. That GT500 kit they have looks great.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:42 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I have the vmp pulley swap tool...just nervous about pulling it and potentially screwing up the the SC.
First one I did I was nervous about messing up something too. It's actually very easy, and not much can really go wrong. Just take your time and you will be gone. I really do recommend the VMP tune also.... Best mail order tuner in the biz for GT500s in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:25 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I haven't done tune or pulley yet either for the same reason. 1st and 2nd are so sideways to the point I wonder if the TC works at all. Congrats on the install. I have always been leery about pulling out sharp instruments and cutting. Sadly, I'm not the most mechanical person around......that part of my man card is somewhat lacking
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

I must say that the JLT is NOT something that I would recommend.
To use the word "Fit" to describe it is not a good idea.
If it weren't for the other things I got to go along with it, it would have been returned in a heartbeat.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:24 AM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

I did the JLT as well on my 09. Had it on & off a few times, & it seems to get easier each time.
I have to say, the difference you felt with CAI/tune will be felt all over again with a pulley swap. 1st & 2nd are utterly useless with the stock 285 Goodyears.