Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

2007-09 GT500 calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:47 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Default 2007-09 GT500 calipers

Does anyone know if these calipers were used on any other car? I have an 07 GT and want to upgrade to the 14" Brembos, but since they are for a Shelby that instantly makes them more expensive. I see the same pad is used in Brembos from different manufacturers, but I doubt that means the caliper is the same. For example the Cadillac CTS-V calipers, almost brand new are 300 a pair while chewed up or broken GT500 Brembos are 500+ a pair. Even the 2015 Mustang 4 piston calipers are cheaper new. I've tried finding cad drawings or schematics for OEM calipers but haven't found any.

If anyone can chime in I'd be grateful, or if someone knows of a good set of 14" Brembos for sale in good condition please let me know, otherwise I might just pull the plug on a set of 2015 4 piston calipers and CNC machine a bracket to make them fit. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:01 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I'm looking at a brake upgrade myself and I have found out a couple things while looking.

First off, as far as I have been able to find, the caliper used on the Shelbys with the 14" front brakes is the same one used on the 11-14 GT's with the Brembo package. I have also found that parts stores are now carrying remanufactured Brembo calipers (sans powdercoating and crossover line) for a really good deal, like less than they go for on ebay typically.

Also, I have really been looking at the 2015+ GT calipers because they clear 18" wheels, and they are generally cheaper than the Brembos. I have read some guys have fit them up, you have to use a Shelby or '11-14 GT 14" rotor, and they bolt to the spindles but may require a small spacer (one guy said he used 9/16" flat washers and it was about perfect). The only thing I haven't found a good answer on with them is the brake line situation. Apparently the Brembo lines don't quite bolt up due to a difference where the banjo bolt goes in, and I haven't seen whether or not the 2015+ flex lines are a direct swap or not.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Eric62

What is different about the 2015+ calipers? I have the Shelby Brembo 4 piston calipers with 14 inch rotors under my 18's and they fit fine.

As for availability.... IF you can find rebuilt Brembo's and IF they actually HAVE them rather than just listing them on the website... They are a bolt-on to 2005 to 2014 Mustangs with the original brake lines and the addition of a 14 inch factory rotor. I waited for 5 months for Cardone rebuilts from Carid with no result. I just went ahead and bought the $1100 kit.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:27 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eric62
I waited for 5 months for Cardone rebuilts from Carid with no result. I just went ahead and bought the $1100 kit.
Well, actually now that I think about it I should have mentioned that in my original post...they're cheap if you can get them, which was what I suspected might be an issue. Rock Auto shows them but I don't know what their availability is. I tried to buy some a couple years ago off there just to see if it would work and a message popped up saying they were selling them on an exchange basis only. I just thought maybe there was a little more availability nowadays.

Anyway- I was always told the Brembo 4-piston calipers wouldn't fit 18's, so if they will that's news to me. The 2015+ 4-piston calipers are a little different design and, as I said, don't have the external crossover hardline like the earlier Brembo calipers did. I just thought they had smaller outside dimensions, because they are standard on the GT's which come with 18" standard wheels, optional 19's and 20's.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Eric62

The 14's fit inside most 18 inch wheels and they certainly do mine - 18x10s 46mm offset Cobra Replica wheels all round - although a few won't. But I still run a 10mm spacer at the front for tire clearance mostly. Its the 6 piston 15 inch rotor Brembos that won't fit most 18's. I hear they do fit some.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:15 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but since I solved the problem I thought it might help someone out there:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...afford-it.html