Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Corrections to Projector & HID mod... (again)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default Corrections to Projector & HID mod... (again)

Well, I went back to the wiring board (for the third time now) and got the proper effect. This mod will allow you to have your low beams and high beams on simultaneously. This should work on 99-04 Stangs with Projector & HID headlights.

On my ORIGINAL post, the relay config worked perfectly, but there is an odd issue with the ballast (problem lies with momentary loss of power during switching). During testing, I cycled the relay many times and was fine, so I posted the results.

When I finally got the opportunity to actually USE the high beams for extended period (several minutes or so) and the high beams were turned off, the ballast would "lock-out' and the low beams would stop working altogether!. The only way to get the low beams back on, was to push the headlight switch off then immediately back on again, and this would "un-lock" the ballast so low beams would work again. I am mentioning all this in case someone did my mod, and had trouble.

The *NEW* and improved mod is as follows:

Above the brake pedal and to the left is a 18 pin (approx) connector and has a red with yellow stripe wire (heavy guage) at pin #15. You will need to piggy-back onto this wire and run to drivers headlight. You will connect this wire to the WHITE wire paired with the black wire from the Projector & HID relay installed with your new headlights. The ORIGINAL wire was light blue and came out of the HID headlight.

Now, whenever the headlight switch is pulled on, this new wire WILL have constant power, and not be switched on/off/on and create the ballast "lock-out" issue.

With this configuration, when the high beams are activated, you will retain low beams and not have an issue.

If you have any questions, or I left something out, give me a shout.

The Jazzer

P.S. I give a BIG thank you to Matthew at StangMods.com for having my back on this one

EDIT: 11/29/08. Links are dead

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 11-29-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:40 AM
stangmods.com
Banned

Default RE: Corrections to Projector & HID mod...

Man, I have to hire you as a consultant or something. I was never able to figure that one out. How much do you charge per hour

Matt
StangMods
Old 09-06-2006, 03:04 PM
UKSaleen
1st Gear Member

Hey,
I know this is for 99-04 Stangs but my '06 S281 S/C has the HiD's and I have found when using High beam, it makes hardly any difference to the pattern than the low beam. Is this the same problem you are fixing?

I thought it could be the vertical adjustment on the headlight.

Kev
Old 09-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: UKSaleen

Hey,
I know this is for 99-04 Stangs but my '06 S281 S/C has the HiD's and I have found when using High beam, it makes hardly any difference to the pattern than the low beam. Is this the same problem you are fixing?

I thought it could be the vertical adjustment on the headlight.

Kev

hey Kev. My Projector & HID headlights have two lights per side. The issue I was addressing is that once the high beams go on, the low beams go off. I think it is a waste of potential light that I would like to have. I can't drive with high beams on during oncoming traffic, so might as well have all the light available. But to your point, it is my understanding that when you install HID's for '05+ Stangs, you lose the high beam function because there is only ONE bulb in the light. That is to say, the ORIGINAL light that was supposed to be on your car, had two bulbs, one low and one high. When you "flash" the high beams, via to pass or whatever, BOTH bulbs would light. When you completely engage high beams, the low beam goes out altogether (if you park on a dark road and pay close attention, you will see what I mean). This is a DOT issue of max amount of bulbs that can be lit at one time. This is also why, the foghlights go off, when the high beams are activated as well. I made a post on this issue a couple weeks back and most items will probably translate to your '05:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1771035/tm.htm

unfortunately, I think you are stuck without high beam function

Jazzer
Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Bump due to some frequency of relative questions.

Jazzer