Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

test drove

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:51 AM
xxkillafrogxx

Default test drove

ok... i have a 99 v6 5 spd.... my friend just got a 03 yellow svt cobra - auto - dunno y, but anyways he let me drive it... and i was not impressed at all... to me it felt weak... i test drove my other friends car a few months ago... he got a new evo 8 and that thing would throw me back in my seat stock... the cobra didnt do that at all.... is this normal? i felt like i was driving maybe a GT mustang. i hope somethings wrong with his car - not to be a jerk or anything but i was just really disapointed.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:12 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: test drove

Ok somebody took a automatic gt, and put cobra body kit with it. The cobra do not have automatics. No way in hell. Do me a favor open up the hood and look for a HUGE SUPERCHARGER>.........LOL. I have a 99 and it throws me back in the seat. The 03's are supercharged. That means it will jerk you fricking head off if your not paying attention. Go back to this guy open the hood. Then laugh in his face if it is not supercharged.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:27 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

did he try and tell you that it was a Cobra? Cuz if he did, he is completely BSing you or really has no clue about mustangs. Noone would take a real cobra and put a auto in it I don't think[>:]. Call him out and tell him to open the hood... betcha it doesn't quite measure up to the hype.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:51 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

^+1
Old 10-02-2006, 04:40 PM
xxkillafrogxx

thanks guys... i was gettin really worried cuz i love stangs... and im lookin to getting a cobra or saleen hopefully next summer... - got my other baby - brand new gixxer 6 haha... sooo... i was wanting to test drive one and he said he was gonna get one... so he got an 03.

anyways... he pulled in it was zinc yellow and im like not bad... it just had alil hood scoop - thought the cobras had a huge scoop... then i seen the cobra on the side by the door... the bad end said mustang - i thought the cobras said cobra - bottom of the back bumper ya know? so hes like u wanna take it for a test drive im like hellz ya. the inside was alot diff than my 99 v6 lol... so i start out and i give it alil gas and im like... umm... ok its takin off slow.. hes like floor it, so i do and it just slowly gets up to speed im thinking... wtf i feel no jerk back to pull me in my seat. i took it for a few miles and like i said i was not impressed at all... i didnt open the hood up.. he told me theres a super charger in there but he also told me he was gettin a 6 spd. - i dunno if that was a diff cobra or not... cuz i went to sit down im like... auto ? hes like ya... im like... o.. ok. 1. i didnt think they made em in autos... 2nd i thought they had a cobra in the back bumper instead of mustang... i knew they had the snakes on the side... and i thought they had a snake replacing the mustang in the front grill.... no snake was anywhere inside the car.. .thought the seats might have a snake etched into the seats like the pony is on the v6's and i wasnt sure bout the fog lights i thought they made em round ??? his looked like a GT fog lights more square-ish lol. anyways... thanks for clearing this up... i was gettin worried thinking the cobras suck major. and i didnt hear the supercharger - dunno if he put a kit on or what but if it was supercharged it was a real weak one. and to tell u the truth if his was a GT it was kinda slow too lol... it would suprise me if someone took a reg. 03 stang... put a s/c on it... put the snake on the sides... and said it was a cobra.... dont get me wrong i could def. tell alil difference between his and mine, but it felt like u throw a couple mods on a v6 and thats what it felt like. so i dunno... next time im gonna take a better look... under the hood... etc. lol... thanks once again

and one more thing... he dont really know bout mustangs... he is always askin me... will a cobra beat a corvette... will it beat this... or that. so enough said.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:32 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

the gt's r fast...most likely it was a v6 lol
Old 10-02-2006, 05:33 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkillafrogxx

thanks guys... i was gettin really worried cuz i love stangs... and im lookin to getting a cobra or saleen hopefully next summer... - got my other baby - brand new gixxer 6 haha... sooo... i was wanting to test drive one and he said he was gonna get one... so he got an 03.

anyways... he pulled in it was zinc yellow and im like not bad... it just had alil hood scoop - thought the cobras had a huge scoop... then i seen the cobra on the side by the door... the bad end said mustang - i thought the cobras said cobra - bottom of the back bumper ya know? so hes like u wanna take it for a test drive im like hellz ya. the inside was alot diff than my 99 v6 lol... so i start out and i give it alil gas and im like... umm... ok its takin off slow.. hes like floor it, so i do and it just slowly gets up to speed im thinking... wtf i feel no jerk back to pull me in my seat. i took it for a few miles and like i said i was not impressed at all... i didnt open the hood up.. he told me theres a super charger in there but he also told me he was gettin a 6 spd. - i dunno if that was a diff cobra or not... cuz i went to sit down im like... auto ? hes like ya... im like... o.. ok. 1. i didnt think they made em in autos... 2nd i thought they had a cobra in the back bumper instead of mustang... i knew they had the snakes on the side... and i thought they had a snake replacing the mustang in the front grill.... no snake was anywhere inside the car.. .thought the seats might have a snake etched into the seats like the pony is on the v6's and i wasnt sure bout the fog lights i thought they made em round ??? his looked like a GT fog lights more square-ish lol. anyways... thanks for clearing this up... i was gettin worried thinking the cobras suck major. and i didnt hear the supercharger - dunno if he put a kit on or what but if it was supercharged it was a real weak one. and to tell u the truth if his was a GT it was kinda slow too lol... it would suprise me if someone took a reg. 03 stang... put a s/c on it... put the snake on the sides... and said it was a cobra.... dont get me wrong i could def. tell alil difference between his and mine, but it felt like u throw a couple mods on a v6 and thats what it felt like. so i dunno... next time im gonna take a better look... under the hood... etc. lol... thanks once again

and one more thing... he dont really know bout mustangs... he is always askin me... will a cobra beat a corvette... will it beat this... or that. so enough said.
I'll try to clarify some more up cuz he is clearly has no clue... at all. For the 03/04 Cobra's, they did not have hood scoops. They came stock with the two heat extractor hood vents. You will find those on all 03/04 Cobra's unless the owner has modified that. Now the 99 and 01 Cobra's, I think they did have the hood scoop, but I'm not as up to date on them so I'm sure someone more familiar can speak up on that. The 03/04 Cobra's did have the 'cobra' written on the back bumper. Apparently he put the cobra badges on the sides next to the door. Trust me... if he had a supercharger in that car, you would know it. Especially the stock eaton. You can deffinetly hear the whine of it clearly and is unmistakenable. The 6-speed came stock... to my knowledge, no cobra has ever came stock with an auto. The front seats did have the cobra emblems on them, unless he got the car with the pony seats in them. Rare but can happen. Did the back bumper have the small cut outs for where the dual exhaust comes out at or was it straight across? If it has the cut outs, then it could be a GT. If it had the other style of bumper, then it could be a 6er. Did it even sound like a V8? My best guess is that he has a GT and is posing as a Cobra. I call [sm=bs.gif]

Take a ride in a 'real' cobra. Trust me, it will throw u up against the seats and take your breath away. Especially even a lightly modded one. They easily make about 450 rwhp with just a couple of quick mods. And 03/04 cobra's > 04 and older vettes most of the time. Now the newer vettes, different story. Gotta mod up the cobra's a lil to hang with them then.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:33 PM
xxkillafrogxx

i didnt get to look at the rear bumper... but it did sound good ill give him that... lol... sounded like a gt - or a v6 aftermarket exhaust... the front end was the same as mine (v6 style) it had the fog lights just like a GT (one was burnt out too lol) the only way u could tell it was a cobra was from the side - seeing those badges. im def. gonna have to look at the engine cuz that thing was slow for a v8/cobra so he says... i notcied the gauges though it had speed markers at 10...20...30...40...50 etc. and i noticed his milage color was more of a greenish vs mine is more of a bluish green - dunno if u can tell by that, but the seats they had to of been put in cuz they had NO logos on em... the head rest was weird black/yellow and the head rest was stickin out at the top and went in on an angle as it led down to the seat itself - wasnt a big fan of the head rest but the seats were pretty comfy i didnt say anything to him cuz i wasnt 100 % sure bout the things i mentioned seats/back bumper/fog lights etc. esp the 6 spd. im thinkin i swear they made em only in manuals... but now that i know this im def. gonna ask him lol. and i never did hear the s/c he asked if i heard it im like... not really... hes like floor it... so im like... sounds good - meaning the exhaust lol cuz i love the sound of gt/cobras etc. sounds so mean. but i just find this funny i hope he still has it next yr and i hope i get one and ill b like wanna race? should b even eh cobras... both s/c only diff. is urs is auto mines manual lol.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:40 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

From the sound of it... if you get a real 03/04 cobra, you will be so far ahead of him... he won't even be able to read the word "COBRA" on the back of your bumper. Did his car have dual exhaust or did you look? If it wasn't dual, this its no doubt a V6.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:43 PM
xxkillafrogxx

it was dual exhaust... but im just wondering if it was an aftermarket exhaust or not... i mean it was just alil faster than my v6... so he might of gotten an aftermarket exhaust and got a gt bumper ya know? i still think GTs would be faster than what i drove, lol... like i said i wasnt impressed at all. it felt like i was driving my car only with a few more mods... i just have an intake on mine lol. im def. gonna check next time to see the engine that way i know 1 if its a v8 engine... 2nd i wanna see this cool "super charger" under it that produces all this HP that threw me back in my seat. lol

Quick Reply: test drove