Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen quality control???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:03 AM
sf49er

Default Saleen quality control???

As alot of you know i'm getting ready to order an 07 Saleen. After reading some of the posts regarding QC i'm quite concerned . My question for you current Saleen owners is the QC really that bad or is it an issue with the dealer from whom you purchased the car. Secondly has anyone talked with Bill Tally and brought these QC issues to his attention.Finally i thought i read on this forum that Saleen has cash flow problems, is this correct ? I certainly hope that all of you whom have unresolved issues put them in writing and forward them to management at Saleen.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 AM
walc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen quality control???

My issues, after 1 month and 1000 miles, are due to Saleen; not the dealer. Specifically, rear quarter window trim blowing off and an improperly installed front strut.
I'm sure Saleen already knows about the poor quality control, due to the warranty claims it receives. I'm not going to waste more of my time, in addition to getting repairs, writing letters to tell Saleen what it already knows.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:46 AM
AmyVCTexas
3rd Gear Member

In answer to your questions sf49er:
Question 1: IMO, the answer is YES on both counts. There have been (and still are) issues with dealers and issues with Saleen.

Question 2: I believe Bill Tally is a regular reader and participant of this forum. He is one of the positive aspects of the situation because he cares and he takes action. Sometimes that is enough, sometimes not.

Question 3: Regarding cash flow problems, the only people who could confirm this are Steve Saleen and his accounting people. The problems with Saleen's QC and their dealer network have led many to surmise that there are cash flow problems. When service issues become a consistent theme, it is natural for those affected to wonder why and develop some theories. Cash flow is a reasonable theory, but not necessarily the answer.

Question/comment 4: I have put my issues in writing to both Saleen and the dealer, as well as Ford and the BBB.

All of that said, in fairness I can also say that when my car is not in the shop, it is a tremendous joy to drive. These are truly special automobiles that have generated a great deal of enthusiasm among owners and passers-by. Just spend a few minutes reading the forum and that becomes obvious. There are issues with the dealers and issues at Saleen and IMO both are ultimately Saleen's responsibility. I for one am not frustrated to the point of regret for having purchased the car, nor would I tell someone such as yourself not to purchase one. The best approach might be "expectation management": as you are already doing, become as informed as possible and expect some bumps after the purchase. It's kind of like building a house from scratch: there are lots of frustrations and aggravations along the way, and at times you wonder whether you did the right thing. But when everything is complete, you are happy because what you ended up with is a custom product that is one of a kind and truly your own. You just wish it hadn't felt like being in labor (or as one comedian said, passing a bowling ball throug a garden hose) for several months beforehand.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:51 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

My problems with my car when it was new were Saleen related - but very minimal. The process of getting them fixed via the dealer was actually more painful than the original problem [&:] My car is an EARLY build for '05 and I don't seem to have any of the "Saleen" issues that several have complained about: front suspension popping, gears grinding, steering wheel badge, side skirt fitment, etc.... (yes I know a couple of those are Ford issues).

I'd find it hard to believe Saleen is having cash flow problems considering all the cars (especially E's) they've sold the past couple years [&:]

Bottom line is - the problems IMO are NOT that bad. Order the car without reservation because you will enjoy the hell out of it
Old 11-01-2006, 10:56 AM
06SALEEN1246
1st Gear Member

95% of all my problems were due to SALEEN the only problem that wasn't anything to do with SALEEN was the AC vents extremely loose...You couldn't even position them without falling down ...Ford put in a new set...Even though that was overlooked after the first Month in the shop...The paint chip in the SALEEN rear spoiler should ave been noticed at the factory...the rear corner piece that I'm now waiting on SALEEN to send was done at the SALEEN factory. Instead of replacing something they broke they did a bad patch job that was making it stick out on the corner.....This was descovered when I was getting the paint match and fixing what the idiot paint shop my dealership used. My HID headlights pointing at the road was due to SALEEN my dealership didn't know how to adjust them I had to figure out online how and do it myself....Not programming that the car has cruise control in the computer was because of SALEEN name an 06 GT that doesn't have cruise control in any model? and explain this one....That took a month after sending the computer back and fourth...If I didn't have nearly $2000 in my aftermarket SALEEN SC hood I'd contacted a lawyer on a lemon law...Not to mention $600 in insurance payments I've loss from being without my car....from the car being in the shop waiting weeks for parts from SALEEN...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:00 AM
06SALEEN1246
1st Gear Member

When your car comes in I'd inspect everything from top to bottom...test drive it and if you find any problems what soever make sure the dealership repairs them first so you don't have to wait months without your car like I'm having to do....
Old 11-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

I had the boost guage bezel come off, glued it back on. That has been it.

If people are expecting perfection, which I see some of you are, you will be dissapointed. No car has ever been perfect that I have ever owned. Every manufacturer has issues with a small amount of their production. A small percentage of Saleen owners are on this board and a percentage of them have had problems but not all.

I do feel for all those who have issues and are getting sloth like responses. I am not sure if you owned anything else it would be any better. The Porsche boards were excatly the same as this one and for what you pay for a 911 you would expect better too.

Unfortunately, owning a sports car is a pain in the butt sometimes.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:54 PM
dotbomb
3rd Gear Member

Most of my issues have all been Saleen related to start with. Then trying to get them fixed I had a couple problems where the dealer dropped the ball. Luckily in my case I live close to Irvine and just dealt with Saleen directly when that happened and their service was top notch.

I have heard the rumor of cash flow problems from many sources. Nobody will ever know for sure since it is a privately held company.

edit: The one issue I had that was not Saleen related was my bad fuel pump. The dealer replaced that no hassle and did a good job.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:11 PM
06SALEEN1246
1st Gear Member

I feel after I get this last part fixed my car will finally be ready for me to enjoy....I've inspected a lot of things on it...including the window louvers and everything else looks sound If it wouldn't of been for the paint chip or flake in the rear spoiler...I doubt I'd ever found the broke piece on the corner spoiler from SALEEN even though it didn't fit quite right...it was close....The paint issue has been on going for 2 months the computer problem took about a month....
Old 11-01-2006, 05:27 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06SALEEN1246

I feel after I get this last part fixed my car will finally be ready for me to enjoy....I've inspected a lot of things on it...including the window louvers and everything else looks sound If it wouldn't of been for the paint chip or flake in the rear spoiler...I doubt I'd ever found the broke piece on the corner spoiler from SALEEN even though it didn't fit quite right...it was close....The paint issue has been on going for 2 months the computer problem took about a month....

I hope everything is to your satisfaction!

These are great cars once you get them to where you are happy.

Quick Reply: Saleen quality control???