Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Chuckdoc's Lowered Parnelli Edition!(pics added 4/17/08)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My New PJ Saleen (PICS)

PM me if you want a few details.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Boy Chuck, this has got to be a world record in posts Nice crotch-rocket too. Ididn'tgetinto motorcycles as I never felt I had the respect for the power and would end upusing all my lives in one crash [sm=crossbonesgif.gif].

I really wanted to chime in on your thoughts of lowering your car. I recommend you call Griggsand talk to Bruce. I realize I am quite biased as they did the work on the VIXN and not possible to convey how happy I am with the performance of thier suspension system. I wouldlove to take each of you interestedon a HWY 1 road trip up the coastand have not doubt you would be highlyimpressed [sm=hail.gif]

I am not sure where you live, but you can get their parts shipped and the website has very detailed installation instructions for all their components. I am sure your car handles now, but a "K" member, lower control arms and anti-sway bar will absolutely AMAZE you in the twisty's. Your car will not need frame support, as I did, and of course you already have Watts link and torque bar is probably fine. Your car will notcost near as much as mine to do, and will blow you away!

PM me if you would like some $$$ details.

Jazzer on dumping your ride to the weeds
Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Chuckdoc
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the info guys.\

Old 06-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Chuckdoc

I see what the Chuckster is up to. He waits until this post falls off the main page, and then posts something innocuous like...... Really, you don't say? or thanks for the info. I have heard it from reliable sources that he runs a computer program late at night that refreshes this page to increase the "hits" total.

I am onto you Chuckmiester [sm=bustedsign.gif]

Elliot "Jazzer" Ness
Old 06-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Chuckdoc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

I see what the Chuckster is up to. He waits until this post falls off the main page, and then posts something innocuous like...... Really, you don't say? or thanks for the info. I have heard it from reliable sources that he runs a computer program late at night that refreshes this page to increase the "hits" total.

I am onto you Chuckmiester [sm=bustedsign.gif]

Elliot "Jazzer" Ness
LOL Jazzer!!

I'd normally wait a few days to reply and bump my post but I had to give you credit early!

[sm=smokin.gif]
Old 06-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

take THAT, Doc!

Jazzer beatin' upChuck
Old 06-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Chuckdoc
3rd Gear Member

O.K., I'm adding some more 'content' to my post, to clear up any Jazzer post ***** implications!

The following is a multi-part ride report. I'm posting installments, kind of like a driving log (hehehe - I said log). I'll add to it asI have time, so it'll be easier to just stop by the 'Ultimate PJ thread' and see what's up, rather than write out a huge ride report that would take everyone's time up.

I just got back from a driving trip where I burned half a tank on a road trip to nowhere. I realized on the way back that it was money well spent...

6-24-07 Spavinaw and Jay
Part I

About half way down the stretch of twisties, you realize the back of your shirt is damp with sweat. Downshift, break hard and blip the throttle, set yourself up for the turn and attack. A quick glance at the speedo makes you wonder if she’ll hold, then you remember you’re driving a race tuned machine. The car stays composed and almost LEANS INTO the turn. Later, you’ll wonder what that means, but you felt it – an almost improbable flatness to the turn-in at a pace that boggles the mind. At times, you feel like you’re part of the machine – much like your motorcycle riding experience – yet the pressure against the seat side bolsters remind you that you aren’t totally articulated, but merely along for the ride. Thus goes the first few thoughts as you commit the impossible task of exploring the limits of the 2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen.

This is the first trip I've done where I knew the roads from my motorcycle experience. I've been on this road30 or more times on my Honda 919 and CBR1000. It's the only really curvy section of tarmac in this part of the state. Think of it as a 'redneck's tail of the dragon'. It's well maintained and usually has very limited traffic, even on weekends. On my sportbikes I can hold 50 to 60 mph in the most technical parts, there's even a nice switchback horseshoe curve that challenges the most crazy driver / rider out there.

More to come....

Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Chuckdoc
3rd Gear Member

Anyways....

It's about an hour drive out to the curves. This is a far better proposition in the PJ compared to a sportbike. For one, you have AC, radio, and a comfortable seat. The boring highway miles sped by quicker in the car. By the time I hit Locust Grove on Scenic Hwy 412, the curves were very inviting. I usually take these with a 70mph entry speed on the bike, long sweepers. I kept the PJ in 4th gear and inched into the first at around 55mph. I realized very quickly that this was not fast enough on these sweepers, so I went up to around 65. For the time being, this was a good compromise for these curves, which don't have driveway entries but have blind exits. The only thing you need to worry about is slow trucks, etc... The first few curves were great, and now theres another 15 min. or so drive until I hit the good ones in Spavinaw.

Saw 2 different cops on the way in. Luckily I was slowed down when they were around. Keep my fingers crossed.

Starting to hit the better curves on the top of the Spavinaw hill / mountain. The curves are back to back and medium to slow speed for 10 miles, then you slowly go through 'town', and make your way to Jay - a faster portion with medium to fast sweepers for 15 miles. At Jay you can turn around and do the whole thing again!

First impressions - I went into this thing expecting to 'phone it in' compared to the level of concentration required for the sportbike. I was mistaken.

Here's my thoughts during the first few turns: (hard left) Wow! This thing really holds! (hard right) O.K. - better turn the radio off, let's speed up the pace. (left, downhill right, decreasing radius left) HOLY CRAP! - At this point I'm turning the AC up higher because beads of sweat are showing on my brow. My posture has gone from a one-handed chilled pose to a 9 and 3 autocross hold, slightly leaning into corners and looking through the turns.

I quickly found that, barring any traffic, I could hold pretty much the same speed as my sportbike.

Let me repeat. The almost 4k pound PJ held speed and handled curves like my 2007 Honda CBR1000 Repsol edition which weighs in at the upper 300s.

Is it an absolute? Can this be translated to the track? No. But its safe to say that I felt comfortable and within my limit to carry 60 mph or so on these curves, the uphill leg felt better than the downhill - just as my motorcycle does. I will admit that with the lighter weight of the sportbike, you can carry up to 70 or 80 in some of the longer straights and brake for your entry speed. I didn't feel like goosing and braking that hard with the PJ, but the car felt totally planted. Thewere a fewportions where you crest a hill as a corner tightens, and that's the one place where the pucker factor went up. But the car handled it fine except for some lateral drift - nothing to upset my line at least.

Later in the drive I even tried to coax some understeer on a hard corner. The way the car's set up, it just turns in and squares the rear end around. No need to counter steer in an all-out drift. It just tracks along.

This is the part of the ride report that I go on the record as saying I have no business driving this car, nor will I likely get anywhere near it's limits at my current abilities. I have a renewed interest in track days and driving schools, because that is what will be needed in order for me to adequately put this thing to use.

All in all, I feel like I got as much enjoyment out of the drive as I do on my sportbike. It took a level of concentration equivalent to that of my sportbike and that is something I wasn't expecting until I hit the curves. Anyone owning a nice car like a Saleen, PJ, Extreme, 3V, whatever - please get your car out and 'stretch its legs' once in a while, you'll thank yourself for it.

Chuck
Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 PM
dotbomb
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like a good drive Chuck!

I would recommend people with stock 3 valves or SC's to upgrade the rear suspension before doing this though. Either with upgraded LCAs/panhard or swapping out fully to the PJ watts link. I didn't feel too comfy pushing corners hard before my upgrade.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

....All in all, I feel like I got as much enjoyment out of the drive as I do on my sportbike. It took a level of concentration equivalent to that of my sportbike and that is something I wasn't expecting until I hit the curves. Anyone owning a nice car like a Saleen, PJ, Extreme, 3V, whatever - please get your car out and 'stretch its legs' once in a while, you'll thank yourself for it.

Chuck
I have no doubt that many on this forum enjoy a good turn, but seems you and I are theonly ones to express it.

I am happy for you Chuck

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Chuckdoc's Lowered Parnelli Edition!(pics added 4/17/08)