Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

How much is to much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:39 AM
Pachy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How much is to much?

Kevin i had what you have plus meth injection,LT headers and Ford GT fuel pump,It ran like hell, but only lasted 1 month[]I/m not saying it can't be done..just be careful.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:03 AM
daydark
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kc10kevin
That about what I am shooting for (430-440). I got the following items waiting to be installed (self) on my ride:

3.4" JDM Saleen pulley - $149
JDM CAI - $200
Extreme intake tube - $98
39# injectors - $150 (on EBay - 03 Cobra takeoffs)
SCT2 Tuner and 2 tunes from JDM - $385 (Stock and 3.4" pulley)
90mm Lightning MAF - $75 (EBay)
MAF conversion adaptor - $39
New Belt - $69 (Holy cow is that expensive!!)

Total $1165

Not bad when the Saleen 475 kit cost $999 and I will (supposably) get more horsepower to the wheels.

Jonsey, what kind of RWHP are you getting with your setup? Looks like mine will be similar.
I made 450HP/426TQ on JDM's street tune (with stock exhaust). However, I ran out of fuel at 5300 RPM, and so I can't do a full pull to 6300 until I get my new fuel pumps installed (dual GT500 pumps).

With the mods you are getting, you will *easily* make 450-475HP, depending on your exhaust setup and other mods. If you are shooting for only 430HP, you shoulda gotten the 3.6" pulley, cuz you're gonna make 450 at a minimum. Keep in mind that JDM has sold over 500 of their stage 2 kits (with 3.4"), and has yet to hear a report of a motor popping. Jim Sr. is the best in the nation for tuning the 3v's with the Saleen series VI blower.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:05 AM
Pachy
2nd Gear Member

Mine popped[]...but i live in a commonwealth.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:16 AM
kc10kevin

Daydark, thanks for the information, really appreciate it. I did have a question about the fuel pumps though. Any idea how hard itis to change out? Can I do this myself or should it be done by a shop? KB Boost a pump a good idea?

I heard about Jim from this forum and had to go see him since I live about an hour away. I agree that he is the best at 3v Saleens and was even out at Saleen headquarters a couple of weeks ago to show them how to tune (at least thats the rumor i heard).

I'm actually really torn about what to do about the pulley. I have the 3.4" in my garage and Jim swears that I will not have a problem as long as I am smart about it especially since he has over 500 in the system without a pop. (of course Patchy is the exception). Please don't take this as a roast Patchy, but I heard and read that you did a little more than the JDM Stage II and were pushing a lot more RWHP.

Anyway, my goal is to stay around the 450 mark. If I end up throwing something, I'll just have to build up the bottom end. "Pay to Play!!!" Right?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:16 PM
daydark
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kc10kevin

Daydark, thanks for the information, really appreciate it. I did have a question about the fuel pumps though. Any idea how hard itis to change out? Can I do this myself or should it be done by a shop? KB Boost a pump a good idea?

I heard about Jim from this forum and had to go see him since I live about an hour away. I agree that he is the best at 3v Saleens and was even out at Saleen headquarters a couple of weeks ago to show them how to tune (at least thats the rumor i heard).

I'm actually really torn about what to do about the pulley. I have the 3.4" in my garage and Jim swears that I will not have a problem as long as I am smart about it especially since he has over 500 in the system without a pop. (of course Patchy is the exception). Please don't take this as a roast Patchy, but I heard and read that you did a little more than the JDM Stage II and were pushing a lot more RWHP.

Anyway, my goal is to stay around the 450 mark. If I end up throwing something, I'll just have to build up the bottom end. "Pay to Play!!!" Right?
Yes you can change them yourself in about 2 hours. The pump is just below the back seats, easy access. Some people are running the KB BAP; but it is more of a "patch" on a problem, instead of a solution. If you are truly never going to want more power, the BAP wouldn't be a bad choice, but everyone really likes the GT500 pumps, and I believe they are the best way to go.

If you get the pumps, you will be fine on the 3.4" pulley. I have personally talked with members of m.o.d.u.l.a.r.f.o.r.d.s.com with over 500 passes at the track on the JDM stage 2 kits and stock bottom end, and none have had a problem. If I were you, I'd go for it, and get the GT500 pumps to have the confidence that you did it right.