Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:34 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Default X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe

The previous owner of my 06 3V replaced the stock "restrictive" H-Pipe with a high-flow catted X-Pipe. I like the sound (even though it is a little too raspy at times). I've heard that the high-flow catted H-Pipes are deeper in sound (which is what I am looking for). Anyone tried both on the new-body Saleen's yet? Also does anyone know which is better for performance assuming both are catted?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe

This discussion has been going since the creation of man...ok, well maybe only since the S197's release in 2005 X pipes have always sounded pretty good while making better power/torque numbers (minimal gains however) on the 5.0 motors and the 4.6L 2v motors. However when the 3v came out it has long been discussed the X pipe sounded too raspy and pingyas compared to an H. So I think it is safe to say the H is the preferred pipe on the new 3V motors. Obviously some with X's on their newer cars will disagree, but if you are looking for opinions, I would go with what has been discussed in here (and over in the 2005, 2006, 2007... section) for over 2 years - H pipe.

The difference in power gains between X or H will not offset the sound difference that you are after. I have heard an o/r X with long tubes and it just sounds ILLEGAL as hell. It is also pretty raspy. My o/r H is borderline illegal sounding when you are on the gas, but at low revs and idel it is fine. Plus it has that deeper muscle tone you are after.

I think you just need to bite the bullet and change it out and judge for yourself - you will always be able to find a buyer for the pipe you don't want on ebay, in here, or locally.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Saleen#468
2nd Gear Member

i second that. i bought a catted slp x-pipe and sold it on stangnet and bought a pypes o/r h. it sounds good but its not as clean as the stock exhaust so im thinking about changing it back to stock. ive noticed no performance gain between any of the exhaust set ups.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Sounds like I need the H-Pipe. Anyone have a recommendation as to which one to get? I need a high-flow catted H-Pipe.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:18 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Anyone with an aftermarket H-pipe out there? Where did you all get urs?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Saleen05797
4th Gear Member

Hey man, sorry to be off topic but where did you get the bumper inserts? I bought some but they fit like ****
Old 05-31-2007, 12:21 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Saleen05797

Hey man, sorry to be off topic but where did you get the bumper inserts? I bought some but they fit like ****
sry to dissapoint u but the previous owner put them in and they look amazing
Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 AM
C_yru_s99
1st Gear Member

WELL.. Ill have to say I just installed some O B X longtube headers (CRAP CHEAP BRAND I KNOW). However direct copy of J B A Long tube headers (half the price) and so far they have been great. Point i am making (sorry for the ramble) if you want a great sound put some long tube headers on! I have the mufflers in stock pisition same bolt on positions for the exhaust and H- pipe. I was told the other day that the car sounds like a classic high horsepower car. LOL they told me it sounds like there should be flames shooting out the back! It does sound great! HP AND AWESOME SOUND! BEWARE of install if you go this rout it took me litteraly 20 (twenty) hours to install the bastards! Truly would have been easier to pull the enige mounts and rais the engine about 4 to 5 inches. OK OK SORRY thats my $.02.

H pipe X pipe all the same to me [8D]
Old 05-31-2007, 01:05 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: C_yru_s99

WELL.. Ill have to say I just installed some O B X longtube headers (CRAP CHEAP BRAND I KNOW). However direct copy of J B A Long tube headers (half the price) and so far they have been great. Point i am making (sorry for the ramble) if you want a great sound put some long tube headers on! I have the mufflers in stock pisition same bolt on positions for the exhaust and H- pipe. I was told the other day that the car sounds like a classic high horsepower car. LOL they told me it sounds like there should be flames shooting out the back! It does sound great! HP AND AWESOME SOUND! BEWARE of install if you go this rout it took me litteraly 20 (twenty) hours to install the bastards! Truly would have been easier to pull the enige mounts and rais the engine about 4 to 5 inches. OK OK SORRY thats my $.02.

H pipe X pipe all the same to me [8D]
How much did you pay for your headers and did you feel any boost in performance
Old 05-31-2007, 05:49 PM
C_yru_s99
1st Gear Member

i paid $450.00 for the headers self install. I am going on the dyno (custom) tune in a couple weaks. Ancrease in max hp? i feel some, but in the low rpm you can see the dif. def increase in lower rpm repsonse (starting at about 2500 is where it becomes noticed. while i was doingthe installwas cussing the the hell out of the headers. Now that there in it was worth every effort. IT IS WELL WORTH it.

Quick Reply: X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe