Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

An Unfortunate Torque in the Road...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default RE: An Unfortunate Torque in the Road...

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

No in Virginia, you have to be at least 20mph over for the $3000 fine...she was only 16mph over
HOLY CRAPOLA!!!!!! Is this the fuss I heard about a couple months back re: new laws. This is outta control [:@]

Jazzer on what NWA was talkin' 'bout!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:50 AM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

I've done the option 2 before and it was worth it to get the points removed.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: AmyVCTexas

Just a little update following yesterday's pre-trial hearing on my speeding + no front plate tickets.

Just a refresher: received ticket while coming out of a toll booth from a dead stop (to throw 3 quarters in the basket -- I have no hand-eye coordination [8D]). Toll road speed limit is 60, except for "grace area" before and after booth, which is 45. Nabbed for going 61 in a 45 when leaving the booth. And just for grins, Officer Fife threw in a "no front license plate" charge as well.

Here were my options:

1. Plead NO CONTEST, take 3 months deferred adjudication and pay $220. License plate charge will be dropped
2. Plead NO CONTEST, take Defensive Driving ($25 cost) and pay $103. License plate charge will be dropped
3. Go to court on October 10 (Jury Trial). If I win, all charges dropped. If I lose, approx $7 zillion in fines, plus points on my license, resulting in higher insurance rates
4. Same as Option 3, but Judge Trial on October 4

Soooooo.... inquiring minds want to know: What Would You Do?

I, like the Polkster, like option 2. Does this mean that they will NO LONGER require a front plate on your car??????? Seems hard to believe. Or is there a fine associated with plate missing, and you will get out of paying that?

Bummer is, I think the "grace area" is probably too subjective by most persons standards, so a jury would probably see this portion of ticket as petty and find you innocent of this charge.

Judge Jazzer
Old 08-25-2007, 09:22 AM
AmyVCTexas
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

Just a little update following yesterday's pre-trial hearing on my speeding + no front plate tickets.

Just a refresher: received ticket while coming out of a toll booth from a dead stop (to throw 3 quarters in the basket -- I have no hand-eye coordination [8D]). Toll road speed limit is 60, except for "grace area" before and after booth, which is 45. Nabbed for going 61 in a 45 when leaving the booth. And just for grins, Officer Fife threw in a "no front license plate" charge as well.

Here were my options:

1. Plead NO CONTEST, take 3 months deferred adjudication and pay $220. License plate charge will be dropped
2. Plead NO CONTEST, take Defensive Driving ($25 cost) and pay $103. License plate charge will be dropped
3. Go to court on October 10 (Jury Trial). If I win, all charges dropped. If I lose, approx $7 zillion in fines, plus points on my license, resulting in higher insurance rates
4. Same as Option 3, but Judge Trial on October 4

Soooooo.... inquiring minds want to know: What Would You Do?

I, like the Polkster, like option 2. Does this mean that they will NO LONGER require a front plate on your car??????? Seems hard to believe. Or is there a fine associated with plate missing, and you will get out of paying that?

Bummer is, I think the "grace area" is probably too subjective by most persons standards, so a jury would probably see this portion of ticket as petty and find you innocent of this charge.

Judge Jazzer
I went for option 2 as you and Polk would have done. The additional benefit to this option is that it will bring my insurance rate down by 8% for the next 3 years. Then I can take it again and get another 8% discount.

It's a bit disgruntling, as I believe a jury would probably side with me on both counts. But I do remember sitting in for jury duty a few years back and the question was: Would you be able to find someone guilty of breaking the law even if you didn't agree with the law?? And fact is, I WAS guilty of breaking the law. Soooo.... decided not to risk it and took option 2. BTW the jury duty thing was a case against an 18 year old country kid whose gf lied about her age and turns out she was only 15. Parents sued for statuatory rape. If found guilty, he would have been labeled a "sexual predator" for the rest of his life. THANK GOD they gave me the boot and I didn't have to serve on that jury. In fact they couldn't find 13 people so the trial was dismissed.

Jazzer: they simply dropped the charge against me for no plate. Still must have it legally, though it will be coming off this weekend [8D]. Word is, they can't pull you over for no plate only, but can add that charge to anything else they might nab you for.

And... yes it's true, no hand-eye. I'm more of a "balance and feel" type person. Much better traits to have in the dark. (there you go Chuck -- one for you).

Old 08-27-2007, 12:57 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Word is, they can't pull you over for no plate only, but can add that charge to anything else they might nab you for.
On my drive back from North Carolina, I was pulled over for going 75mph in a 70mph zone. It was a woman state trooper and when she came up to the window, she explained that she wanted to check my tint to see if it was legal and said she pulled me over for no front plate. She knew I wasnt going fast enough for a ticket but just wanted to get me for no front plate. I explained to her I was on my way back from NC and I just had a new car-bra put on and that's why the front plate was in the trunk instead of on the car. Also, the tint was legal so she saw I wasnt breaking any rules thus far and I was very well-mannered and polite towards her. She talked to me about my summer job and where I was going to college. Since I had no points or anything on my license, she let me go with a warning. When she brought the warning to my window, she told me to slow down a little and be careful with my "beautiful car". Still no tickets in my daily driver Saleen! (knock on wood)
Old 08-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V
...Still no tickets in my daily driver Saleen! (knock on wood)
Maybe you should say, DON'Tknock on double-sided 3M tape!

Jaz