Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Steering wheel shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Bob D.
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steering wheel shimmy

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

My Mom used to give me castor oil because I was always out of line! [8D]

Jaz
Apparently it didn't help any!

ATM168, this is not a common issue or hard-to-solve problem, so not to worry. Follow the great advice above and you will solve this little annoyance pretty quickly. Welcome to the site, enjoy the car and let us know the outcome.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Hey ATM - I had/have this problem as well. I took my front wheels to my local tire shop and they said the balance was fine. After about 100-200 miles the problem went away. This happened again the next two years in the spring after getting the car out from being parked all winter. So apparently these Perelli are prone to developing flat spots over time, but the seem to correct themselves. So perhaps you recently bought the car from somebody that left it sitting for a couple months [&:] Drive it for a while and see if it goes away, or as suggested take the wheels off and take to a dedicated tire place to check for balance - might even have them dismount the tires and make sure the wheel is true.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:01 PM
ATM168

I drove it to work this morning and no shimmy at all, but on the way home it happend again.

Thanks for all your good advice, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:28 AM
torqjnky
2nd Gear Member

I sawa post in the pastthat mentioned rotor retaining clips being left installed on the front break rotors that may cause this. I have the shimmy occasionally (Extreme 20" 5-Spokes) so I removed my front wheels to check. No clips were installed, so I reinstalled, torqued the lugs and made sure all the tires pressures were the same and the shimmy went away. Keeping the air pressure correct in the tires keeps the shimmyat bayfor me.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:11 AM
ATM168

I also read something about the retaining clips left on the car, I'll give it a check. Thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Saleen2008

Wheel shimming.....I'm having the same problem. This is the second time its been to ford dealership so they can rebalance the tires. Mine has dunlop tires and the car doesnt sit at all. It gets drove about 250 miles a week. I don't think this is a balancing problem cause this is a total of three times its been balanced two times by the ford dealership and one time by another tire shop. It's at the dealership now to see if they can find the problem. Called the dealership today to see what was up with the car and told me that they balanced the tires again and they are still having the same problem . He told me that they are waiting on a responce from Saleen. Car has 4,800 miles on it>

Originally Posted by ATM168
So no one has had this issue?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:52 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Its probably the rims. Borrow a set of front stockers and I bet the problem goes away.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:59 AM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Mine has shimmyed since day one with 100 miles on it and now with 13,000 its a little worse but not much. Every Mustang I've ever had (5) was the same way. Although someone did tell me that having the tires "road force balanced" would help. I never tried it but he said it worked on his GT that had the shimmy.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:09 AM
ninja205
3rd Gear Member

Sometimes the tyre isn't sitting on the rim correctly (they have marks on them for alinement)
maybe worth checking that ?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:30 AM
A1SALEEN
3rd Gear Member

My car has had the shimmy from day 1... and i have Dunlop tires..... The rotor keeper should not should not change anything... the Saleen wheels have a relief machined into them for keeper clearance.... however I curbed one of my front wheels and replaced it with an after market one.. this wheel did not have the relief, so I ended up pulling the keepers out no change in the shimmy.... It's like Jason said drive it a couple hundred miles and it goes away...

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shimmy