Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Steering wheel shimmy

Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sowaxeman
Not sure what to tell you....I am just reiterating what the TSB (#STSB08-009) says. I know from experience my shimmy is due to flat spotting, as after about a 50-100 mile jaunt it goes away considerably. I once had my front tires balanced, but it was done cold (I took them in off the car) not hot as per the TSB. The tire shop said they were in balance and didn't touch them. Perhaps one more trip to the dealer or to a reputable tire shop that can put the spins to them IMMEDIATELY when you arrive...while they are still hot??
* low profile ultra high performance tires in general are prone to flat spotting on cars not driven for long periods of time, in hotter climate states it is seen way more often!! even on cars of less performance and new suv vehicles on dealer lots, i went threw the whole tsb flat spotting issue and it improved the shimmy but didnt get rid of it. with 2500 miles on my car i put brand new pzero pirelli in the 305 35 20 rear and 275 35 20 fronts on my car and it still had that same shimmy, thats when i went to my friend and we rebalanced them the way we use to and problem solved.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Saleen2008

Originally Posted by sftdyna
* low profile ultra high performance tires in general are prone to flat spotting on cars not driven for long periods of time, in hotter climate states it is seen way more often!! even on cars of less performance and new suv vehicles on dealer lots, i went threw the whole tsb flat spotting issue and it improved the shimmy but didnt get rid of it. with 2500 miles on my car i put brand new pzero pirelli in the 305 35 20 rear and 275 35 20 fronts on my car and it still had that same shimmy, thats when i went to my friend and we rebalanced them the way we use to and problem solved.
I'm going to see if they will balance them like the way your are saying and if they can get to it right when I arrive so they will still be hot. I took it down the highway today and I didn't know if people were looking at the car or the seat shaking like h_ll. My son even asked why the car was shaking.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

There's a link to the "Flat Spotting on Tires" TSB on this page for anyone who wants it for their files: http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthr...?t=3343&page=2
Old 12-30-2008, 07:34 AM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Saleen2008
I'm going to see if they will balance them like the way your are saying and if they can get to it right when I arrive so they will still be hot. I took it down the highway today and I didn't know if people were looking at the car or the seat shaking like h_ll. My son even asked why the car was shaking.
if you actually have a vibration that the seat is shaking that bad you got some problems!!! is it worse at the steering wheel or in the seat? if its the seat your rears are worse than the front, a vibration that bad would leed me to believe either you have the worst flat spotted tires in history or a bent wheel, start from scratch with over inflating the tires and run that bitch hard get them f...in hot!! if you see some improvement then the tires are starting to come back to shape and maintain over inflation to see if it gets better if you still have a problem balance as i have desribed and cross your fingers. also when balancing watch every tire spin and look for a hop, if you see one use a straight edge close to the wheel and determine where the hop is , at the wheel or the tire, keep us informed brother we will get this resolved.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Saleen2008

Originally Posted by sftdyna
if you actually have a vibration that the seat is shaking that bad you got some problems!!! is it worse at the steering wheel or in the seat? if its the seat your rears are worse than the front, a vibration that bad would leed me to believe either you have the worst flat spotted tires in history or a bent wheel, start from scratch with over inflating the tires and run that bitch hard get them f...in hot!! if you see some improvement then the tires are starting to come back to shape and maintain over inflation to see if it gets better if you still have a problem balance as i have desribed and cross your fingers. also when balancing watch every tire spin and look for a hop, if you see one use a straight edge close to the wheel and determine where the hop is , at the wheel or the tire, keep us informed brother we will get this resolved.
FINALLY......Took it to a tire shop "not the Ford dealer" and they finally got me fixed up. I told them to balance them exactly how you had it done and it fixed it. They didn't have a stall open when I got there so I asked how long will it be they said 10 minutes I said I'll be right back. I took the car for a ten minute drive and came back and pulled right in with the tires hot. Well what it all came down to was that all four was out of balance but the back was real bad. Now I don't have to hold the seat when someone passes me on the highway. Just wanted to thank everyone one that helped me out with this.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:25 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Saleen2008
FINALLY......Took it to a tire shop "not the Ford dealer" and they finally got me fixed up. I told them to balance them exactly how you had it done and it fixed it. They didn't have a stall open when I got there so I asked how long will it be they said 10 minutes I said I'll be right back. I took the car for a ten minute drive and came back and pulled right in with the tires hot. Well what it all came down to was that all four was out of balance but the back was real bad. Now I don't have to hold the seat when someone passes me on the highway. Just wanted to thank everyone one that helped me out with this.
there you go brother, i new one way or another we would get it right!!!! now listen the party not over just yet, even though my tires were replaced , when i run my car hard and get them real sticky there have been times when i would pull into my garage on a cold concrete floor and not use the car for a week or two and the next time i would take it out there would be a little shimmy, but fearr not... five minutes of highway and its gone!! so just be prepared in the event this happens to you, i cant tell you how glad i am that we made it right!!! when i first got my E i had alot of questions!! everyone here jumped in and did what they could do for me and im just glad i was able to pass it foward.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I love it when a plan comes together