Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Cleaning the Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Cleaning the Engine

Amy, you shouldn't be at the point of needing degreaser. Just get a few rags, and a bottle of detail spray and just start spraying and wiping EVERYTHING that you can reach. You might even get a probe of some sort (stay away from this one Jazzer and Mickey [8D]) to use with the rag to reach those tight and hard to reach places. Once you are able to get rid of all the visible dust, dirt and grime - get a can of CD-2 Engine Detailer (only available online from what I hear) and soak all the black pieces and let it sit. Drive the car to let it bake in, then open the hood & enjoy All that shine that you see under my hood is a direct result of the steps I just listed. Just be prepared to spend some time on this project as the engine bay is full of intricate parts and crevices...its not like doing a quick detail spray to the body.

You can use Armor All or Tire Foam to provide the detailed shine under the hood, but those products do not bake on like the CD-2 (it is specifically for engines) thus it does not build up near as much dust or grime like tire foam does.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 PM
AmyVCTexas
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

Amy, you shouldn't be at the point of needing degreaser. Just get a few rags, and a bottle of detail spray and just start spraying and wiping EVERYTHING that you can reach. You might even get a probe of some sort (stay away from this one Jazzer and Mickey [8D]) to use with the rag to reach those tight and hard to reach places. Once you are able to get rid of all the visible dust, dirt and grime - get a can of CD-2 Engine Detailer (only available online from what I hear) and soak all the black pieces and let it sit. Drive the car to let it bake in, then open the hood & enjoy All that shine that you see under my hood is a direct result of the steps I just listed. Just be prepared to spend some time on this project as the engine bay is full of intricate parts and crevices...its not like doing a quick detail spray to the body.

You can use Armor All or Tire Foam to provide the detailed shine under the hood, but those products do not bake on like the CD-2 (it is specifically for engines) thus it does not build up near as much dust or grime like tire foam does.
Terrific info, Sowaxeman. Thanks! If her engine can look as good as #92's, I'll be very pleased.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I have no doubt your engine can look just as good as mine with a little attention to "detail" and a liberal coating of the CD-2

Here is a link to where I last bought my can: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/p-21...5-oz-4516.aspx