Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen HID or Retro Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:40 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default Saleen HID or Retro Fit

Getting my Car in a few weeks and would like your opinions. Saleen HID kit cost 800 and front what Ive read, its only an HID kit. Whats the difference with the Saleen kit from the normal HID kits you can get on ebay for about 150? Also with 800, i can just do a retro fit HID kit which IMO would look SOOO much better. Actually retro fit would only cost me 600 with parts and install. Which would you guys choose?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Hito

Default RE: Saleen HID or Retro Fit

the Saleen kit is DOT aproved. A retrofit kit is technically illegal
Old 09-22-2007, 10:34 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

ICIC i had no idea retro fit kits are illegal. May I ask why?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

well actually just read up on that and HIDs are illegal in general i guess unless it comes with the car. "off road use only". I could care less if they are illegal and cops wont even know the difference if they are DOT approved or not.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:03 PM
smoothy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

well actually just read up on that and HIDs are illegal in general i guess unless it comes with the car. "off road use only". I could care less if they are illegal and cops wont even know the difference if they are DOT approved or not.
Yeah, doesn't matter until you get in an accident and the insurance looks for a way to get out of paying. Having non-DOT equipment (especially if that equipment factors into the accident) could potentially cost you your claim (unauthorized/illegal vehicle mods)
Old 09-23-2007, 12:22 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Understood about the insurance thing, but isnt that pretty much avoidable if you take them off before the claims adjuster comes? Kind of like taking some of your aftermarket parts off before going to the dealer for warranty issues? Sorry if i sound like I am arguing with you but I am not.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:13 AM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

I think Saleens have their own ballasts which actually draw less current than the stock headlights, but I could be wrong. I love mine.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

Understood about the insurance thing, but isnt that pretty much avoidable if you take them off before the claims adjuster comes? Kind of like taking some of your aftermarket parts off before going to the dealer for warranty issues? Sorry if i sound like I am arguing with you but I am not.
I would get the lights anyway if you really want them as pretty unlikey this would be an issue you would lose claim over. If you do get in an accident and car is towed away to a yard somewhere, you will not have the chance to swap headlights.

Jazzy Kitty
Old 09-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Saleen#468
2nd Gear Member

ive never heard of the retro fit. do you got a link?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:47 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

sorry i dont have a link. but what a retro fit is just like headlights on high end luxury cars. Advantage is that it doesnt have that ricey look of aftermarket projecters, guves you the cut off line, and looks like a luxury car at night. theres this guy in Houston(where i live) that does retro fits for 450

Quick Reply: Saleen HID or Retro Fit