Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Question about intercooler & engine temp in Saleen S281 SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Snwbrder4777

Default Question about intercooler & engine temp in Saleen S281 SC

I finally got around to racing my car against a friends bone stock 97 Cobra. We were pretty even at first. The more we raced the slowermy car got. I'm guessing this is from the car heating up. I was looking on Ebay and they sell an aftercooler from LFP for around $300. I have been looking all over the internet and have not found any other intercoolers for my car. Does anyone have any suggestions on ccooling down the car or any info on this or other intercoolers. I also wanted to get the Chicane Ripp Air Intake kit which should also help lower the engine & intercooler temps. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:53 PM
saleen556
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Question about intercooler & engine temp in Saleen S281 SC

What year is your car?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

What year Saleen do you have?

Chicane makes an intercooler, LFP makes a heat exchanger/aftercooler and "ice box" (intercooler fluid tank that you can actually put ice in) and Water Wetter makes radiator/intercooler fluid that runs a bit cooler than antifreeze (just watch the ratio you use it in if you're in an area that gets cold.....as it will freeze before antifreeze will).

That's rough when you're running a 305 hp car (97 Cobra) and getting hit with heatsoak. You can't take anything away from the Cobra though either.....I loved mine, it pulled hard all the wayup to its 7000 rpm redline andits aluminum block/heads got rid of heat like a champ [8D].
Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Snwbrder4777

It's a 2002, sorry I forgot to include it.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Snwbrder4777

I have to have the front bumper repainted so since they are going to have it off I figured I would try and change the intercooler. I live on Long Island in NY so it does get really cold here in the winter. Does anyone have any idea how much the Chicane intercooler is since there website is funky and outdated. I found this out when I tried to call them and the lady informed me that she didn't really know anything and the website information is incorrect for most products.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

talk to casey at haney motorsports. he can get the chicane intercooler.

I can't recall how much it was off the top of my head, but PM him and he can tell you.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:24 PM
saleen556
1st Gear Member

What kind of temps are you seeing? I have an 02 as well and have been having issues also. I still have the stock resevoir and intercooler pump but have the Gords heatexchanger with the saleen fans. Mine has been getting up to 160-190 this summer and is now waiting for a new pump to see if that helps. I was told the larger resevoir wouldn't help on the street as it's main benefit is to add ice at the track. If your actually considering replacing the intercooler (under blower) you may want to consider swapping to the KB or saleen series 4. The stock series 2 doesn't make much power even when you turn the boost up.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Does anyone have any idea how much the Chicane intercooler is since there website is funky and outdated.

It runs around $750 and is around a 7 hour job (according to Joe at Chicane).

+1 on 556's comments.....you'll be somewhat limited by the Series II, but it will cost you some dough to upgrade to a KB or Series IV.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Snwbrder4777

Saleen556, did you get the new intercooler pump yet? I went to the mechanic today and was told that the intercooler pump on mine was shot and not circulating properly. I was told that this is very common with Saleens and not many people are aware of this.Unfortunately, Saleen is the only company that makes a replacement. Do you remember how much you paid for it? I will now have to order one. Mymechanic told me to also change the heat exchanger at the same time since it has to come off anyway. I was thinking LFP or Gords, but i heard the Gords has to be modified to fit properly. I also wanted to do the Chicane Ripp Kit. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:36 AM
saleen556
1st Gear Member

You are in luck. I got this pump and it only took 3 days for delivery.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Water...spagenameZWD1V

You can order the Gords H/E with the modded brackets to fit a GT. I think it was like $80 extra. If you know someone that welds it can be done to the cobra H/E. As for the Ripp kit I had it and it sounded really cool but didn't add much HP. FYI there is a guy over a modularfords with a KB 1.7 F/S less than $3K. I definetley recommend that route over trying to get much out of the series 2.

Quick Reply: Question about intercooler & engine temp in Saleen S281 SC