Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

2005 saleen 281 sc emission problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 01:53 PM
smed
1st Gear Member

Default 2005 saleen 281 sc emission problems

Hey, i,m new to this site, i use to own a 99 cobra, loved it but once i saw the new Saleen it was time for something new. I ordered a 2005 281 sc in January and i was told that i would probably have it in ten weeks. Just talked to my dealer last week and he said that Saleen was having a hard time making these cars emissions legal. So he said i would be waiting another 8-10 weeks before i will get my car. Motortrend just had an article in there new issue about the N/A engine not passing emissions. Does anyone know anything about this. Is it true that none of the supercharged cars have been delivered yet. My dealer said they won't be available until April at the earliest. I'm dying to get my car hope this isn't true.
Ed
Old 03-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 saleen 281 sc emission problems

I just talked to a friend at Saleen about this today. Right now, it looks like April 1 is the target ship date for the s/c's. They have had a few certification issues they have been dealing with, but everything is going fine. They are a little behind, but you should see your ride by mid April. All the issues they have had with the s/c car are to be expected with any new project. Hey, I won't see mine 'til June or July, so don't feel too left out.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

Hey Bird.

Who is your connection at Saleen? As of yesterday Saleen only has ONE S/C car operational. They are waiting for a LOT of parts from Whipple at the moment. Yes, they have shelves full of the new VI's but incomplete. Not one S/C has been prepared on the assemblyline for production yet. If someone is waiting for an S/C don't hold your breath. The yellow "E" car released a few weeks back was all zip ties and double back tape. I hope that they are able to get what they need from Whipple and start pumping S/C
s out soon but it does not look promising. I hope I'm wrong. There is NO pre production "E" car even being driven or tested at the moment. I wish you still had your Berylillium car to hold you over.

Cheers

Old 03-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Hey Bird.

Who is your connection at Saleen? As of yesterday Saleen only has ONE S/C car operational. They are waiting for a LOT of parts from Whipple at the moment. Yes, they have shelves full of the new VI's but incomplete. Not one S/C has been prepared on the assemblyline for production yet. If someone is waiting for an S/C don't hold your breath. The yellow "E" car released a few weeks back was all zip ties and double back tape. I hope that they are able to get what they need from Whipple and start pumping S/C
s out soon but it does not look promising. I hope I'm wrong. There is NO pre production "E" car even being driven or tested at the moment. I wish you still had your Berylillium car to hold you over.
I know a few different people from Saleen. I get a lot of help and info from Sean in new cars. The Whipple stuff is being done as we speak, and they will be shipping them soon. They are about a month out. They are actually building the first E car right now, which will be the magazine test car. It will be blue in color. That E car will the the model car for the rest of the new E cars. Yeah, Sean told me that yellow car was just a thrown together car, and the 'real' E car will look different. They had promised ford they would get an E car for that show. It wasn't an E car. And, I wish I had the beryllium too . I miss it. The thing I miss most were the huge brakes.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:15 AM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

Ahh, Yes Sean is a nice guy.

I hope that they can get Whipple in gear for what they need. It's not much from what I hear but nothing can be started on the S/C cars beofre they get it. The blue looks good by the way.
I was having a hard time from that "sighting" (that white car on that other thread). Thank God that thing was a fake. I remember your orange car. It was something. Did you hear about the black S351 that a dealer here in So.Cal (remains nameless) blew up on the freeway hot-roddin it at 165 mph? It's a shame you can rarely trust a dealer anymore.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I caught the tail end of that story about the black S351 from a dealer in California. It's a shame. I heard from Saleen that 15% of the new E cars sold were wrecked within the first 6 months. As was the case with the S351, the E car's twin screw, low end torque was probably the usual culprite.