Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Porsche Emulating Saleen Design?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:53 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Default Porsche Emulating Saleen Design?

Anyone else think that Porsche has recently been taking design lessons from Saleen? I started to notice this a lot recently as I've seen Porsche 911 Turbos/GT2s/GT3s around town (you can't throw a stick in L.A. without hitting a Porsche) with more and more vents all over their bodywork. Then I came across this pic today on autoweek.com:

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ef=V4&CRED=

The vents all around the exhaust just scream Saleen to me (whether it is the '94-'99 cars or the S7). As for the wing, I don't know if that's more Saleen (didn't some old 351s have a double wing?) or more like something out of The Fast And The Furious...

Old 12-07-2007, 02:14 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Porsche Emulating Saleen Design?

I seriously doubt Porsche, a high-end German engineered auto company, would take ideas from a small American sports car auto company...I think you have it the wrong way...just my 2 cents
Old 12-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

The air must be mighty thin in LA if you think that Porsche has taken[/align]ANY style idea's from Saleen...[/align]
Old 12-07-2007, 02:28 PM
A1SALEEN
3rd Gear Member

I think Mickey is right... I have owned porsche's and still own a porsche... look at the 930 slan nose turbo cars in the 80s and the 924 turbo hood... i think the car with the bigest vents would have to be the ferrari testarossa.... witch is a great car.. i drove one not that quick .... but it was very very fast.... and sounded like no ther car in this world
Old 12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Maybe Saleen is stealing German aerodynamic designs???? Germans have been better than the US market in regards to air flow for years.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Chuckdoc
3rd Gear Member

I think it's just both cars 'S7 and Porsche' are designed for improved airflow and downforce. Sooner or later the elements will be similar. the same holds true for most sports cars. Look at the profile of Vettes, Vipers, Farraris, etc... For that matter, most sportbikes are near carbon copies of each other due to design constraints.

Err.... I changed my mind. Porsche is SO copying Saleen. [&:]

Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Bob D.
2nd Gear Member

I agree with chuckdoc--the designs look similar because both are based on race-proven pieces that actively contribute to the car's performance, not just look "cool" or whatever.

Having said that,and having owned severalmodels of Porsches over the years, I think that the benefitsof Porsche design/engineeringare often way overhyped for real world driving. For almost any driving not done on a closed circuit,I get way more smiles per mile from the Saleen.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

Yea,

I can see what Burrito is saying about that new picture of that GT2. Maybe Porsche is not exactly emulating Saleen's design but it's very obvious that Saleen made it OK to use a shi* load of vents on a body kit functional or not.

Just look at the S7.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I think you guys are missing the point. The Germans were doing that WAY before any Mustang had vents on it. If one is copying the other, Saleen is riding the coat tails of Porsche.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

Shows us some pics.

I'm not missing a point nor defending anything or anyone.

I have never seen a production Porsche with 14 vents in one bumper before. Has anyone else?

No big deal really. The original poster saw a similarity and lots of vents and made an observation. Don't get me wrong and I'm German, currently own a German car and have owned others.

Saleen's idea of engineering is double back tape and zip ties. Far from engineering anything at all compared to Porsche.

That's about it.

Quick Reply: Porsche Emulating Saleen Design?