Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Have some questions about performance upgrades... 2000 S281 - SC.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Have some questions about performance upgrades... 2000 S281 - SC.

ORIGINAL: Fallstar01

I've dynoed over 400 rwhp and torque with my series IV on pump gas. I've seen 408 rwhp, 411 torque on Sunoco pump gas.

I had 327 rwhp 346 torque with just a catback. That's probably in line with the 375 bhp or whatever they claimed.

Here are my upgrades:
Chicane pulley (best bang/buck upgrade)
Chicane intercooler (a bit expensive but very solid quality. I only got it because my stocker broke, you could just fill gaps around the stocker with a torch and some scrap metal for similar gains.)
Full exhaust (bassani: midlength headers, catted x-pipe, baffled rear) (Great sound/quality but over priced).
CAI/MAF/TB (noticable gains)
I bumped up to 42# injectors and a bigger fuel pump just to be safe.
I'm running TR6 plugs and I'm generally happy with them but the stockers were adequate.

If I were to make any other change, I'd go for some coil packs and maybe an open Cobra R hood to let the heat out. There are lots of little tweaks you can make (change the front-mount heat exchanger like the one LFP makes, get an ice box for cool intercooler water before a race, even port the SC intake) and you can stack that on top of things like ported heads, etc... I could probably hit 450 at the wheels if I just kept working on these things.
Good post, Fallstar. How much of a gain did you see with the Chicane Intercooler?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Boostin S281
1st Gear Member

Well so far i'm still using my series I SC... I'll probably get the series IV down the road...
I had a talk with the guys here in st. louis that are porting SC's etc... Steigmeir.com i believe the website is and they said i could have mine ported and would make around 25-30 more hp... It's 395 though... so i might do that first...

By the way, evilgloo, I put myCatted h-pipe back on... The exhaust is still somewhatloud, I can hear my Sc... but it's still notas loud as yours... I mean it's much nicer now, but still not loud enough...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eviligloo

I've dynoed over 400 rwhp and torque with my series IV on pump gas. I've seen 408 rwhp, 411 torque on Sunoco pump gas.

I had 327 rwhp 346 torque with just a catback. That's probably in line with the 375 bhp or whatever they claimed.

Here are my upgrades:
Chicane pulley (best bang/buck upgrade)
Chicane intercooler (a bit expensive but very solid quality. I only got it because my stocker broke, you could just fill gaps around the stocker with a torch and some scrap metal for similar gains.)
Full exhaust (bassani: midlength headers, catted x-pipe, baffled rear) (Great sound/quality but over priced).
CAI/MAF/TB (noticable gains)
I bumped up to 42# injectors and a bigger fuel pump just to be safe.
I'm running TR6 plugs and I'm generally happy with them but the stockers were adequate.

If I were to make any other change, I'd go for some coil packs and maybe an open Cobra R hood to let the heat out. There are lots of little tweaks you can make (change the front-mount heat exchanger like the one LFP makes, get an ice box for cool intercooler water before a race, even port the SC intake) and you can stack that on top of things like ported heads, etc... I could probably hit 450 at the wheels if I just kept working on these things.
Good post, Fallstar. How much of a gain did you see with the Chicane Intercooler?
I was stuck in the low 370s before the intercooler but I got it tuned at the same time as I finally got the mid-length headers (already had the x-pipe and catback). It's hard to say where the 30 rwhp came from but the intercooler definitely did just that. It kept things noticeably cooler which makes it a bit safer. I'd like to think that with a little more spark, I'd be in great shape. The intercooler, as compared to the stocker is different in the following ways.
1.) it's fins are not quite AS tight. They're tight, but i think not so much as to be a restriction which is a good thing.
2.) It actuallyhas a lipto sit between the supercharger and the intercooler. So it basically takes the place of the current gasket that's there (I used it anyway between the intercooler and the SC). The only thing that stinks is that I had to drill my own holes. Chicane should pre-drill them IMHO but it would stink of they did and it didn't line up quite right.
3.) Because of the lip, there is 0 chance of uncooled air getting around it. The way the standard one sits, it's easy for some air to get around it on both ends.
4.) It's aluminum, not copper. Not really sure it matters but unfilled, it was slightly lighter in weight than the stock one.
5.) It hasn't broken on me. (like I said the stock one broke on me and I passedmuch ofthe fluid through my engine and tail pipes andtripped the fuse on the intercooler pump. It happened in a few moments and there was no damage, no loss of performance or compression. Nonetheless is wasenough to make me paranoid.)
6.) It works, I can say that the air is substantially cooler than that with the stock setup.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
04#231SC
3rd Gear Member

Hey Fallstar that is a good write up on the Chicane Intercooler. There are a few of us considering that as the next Mod so that detail helps.

Thanks for posting.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

Just one more quick note.
A cheap 75mm TBand aBig Ol' filter on the end ofa lightning MAF will do wonders for these boosted cars. It'scheap, simple, and makes power (note, will need to bere-tuned.) I went with a polished TB and a CAI but a friend of mine went the cheap way and hisgains wereevery bitas good as mine.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

A cheap 75mm TBand aBig Ol' filter on the end ofa lightning MAF will do wonders for these boosted cars. It'scheap, simple, and makes power (note, will need to bere-tuned.) I went with a polished TB and a CAI but a friend of mine went the cheap way and hisgains wereevery bitas good as mine.
Why do you recommend the TB? I thoughtit onlynets you like 5 hp?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eviligloo

Why do you recommend the TB? I thoughtit onlynets you like 5 hp?
5hp on a stock plenum, not on on the SC's inlet. It makes more of a differences when your SC is furiously sucking the air in than just with normal aspiration.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a Series IV. Which of course[/align]I already did. And have regretted it ever since. I had/have all the upgrades[/align]installed at the time. And my dyno numbers are the lowest that I've ever seen on[/align]these boards. I talked with Steigiemier about porting my blower. And they first of all told[/align]me that it's not worth it on a Saleen @ $575.00 and only a 10-15hp gain at best. Mynumbers came from a Mustang Dyno. And have a REAL hard time believing most of the numbers that I see on these boards. I am considering building my engine,then topping it off with a Kenne Bell 2.6. I would sell my Series IV for real cheap if I go that[/align]route.[/align][/align]