Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Have some questions about performance upgrades... 2000 S281 - SC.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Boostin S281
1st Gear Member

Default Have some questions about performance upgrades... 2000 S281 - SC.

I have 2000 Saleen with series 1 supercharger, chicane pulley, SVT focus fuel pump, Intake, 3.73 gears, H-pipe... That's it.

My buddy just purchased a 2003 Cobra... That thing is a beast... i mean it's so fast it's unbelivable... I love the supercharger sound.... So here are my questions...

Will the Saleen Series IV supercharger make any major difference to my car without messing with the engine at all? I don't want to do anything on the engine as far as cams or porting or any of that... I want to leave engine stock as possible.How much different is the Saleen series IV supercharger different from the 03 cobra one?

Anything else i can do to my car to make it as close as the Terminator Cobra? I just wish mine was fast like that and i've seen someone here that did a conversion but i don't have that kind of money now...

My other options was to trade mine for an 03 cobra, but then... it's not a saleen... i mean cobra's look nice and all, but i think my saleen looks much nicer.

Flame away with the answers.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Have some questions about performance upgrades... 2000 S281 - SC.

Stock 2003 Cobras can dyno up to around 375 rwhp stock. If your friend (or the owner before him) hasn't done anything to his....that's thepower you're feeling.

The Series IV is a twin-screws, while the Cobra's M112 is a roots-style blower.TheSeries IV will run cooler than theM112...but I don't think the PSI capacityis as great for the Series IV.

Throwing a Series IV on your 2000 will givethe motor more power potential than yourcurrent Roots Series I set-up. Keeping in mind though.....without getting into anymore work than a Supercharger switchout to the Series IV, your current mods. and some other minor external upgardes (e.g. MAF, TB, etc...)....you're probably going to be limited to/hitting right arounda2003 - 2004 Cobra's stock power output.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boostin S281

I have 2000 Saleen with series 1 supercharger, chicane pulley, SVT focus fuel pump, Intake, 3.73 gears, H-pipe... That's it.

My buddy just purchased a 2003 Cobra... That thing is a beast... i mean it's so fast it's unbelivable... I love the supercharger sound.... So here are my questions...

Will the Saleen Series IV supercharger make any major difference to my car without messing with the engine at all? I don't want to do anything on the engine as far as cams or porting or any of that... I want to leave engine stock as possible.How much different is the Saleen series IV supercharger different from the 03 cobra one?

Anything else i can do to my car to make it as close as the Terminator Cobra? I just wish mine was fast like that and i've seen someone here that did a conversion but i don't have that kind of money now...

My other options was to trade mine for an 03 cobra, but then... it's not a saleen... i mean cobra's look nice and all, but i think my saleen looks much nicer.

Thanks a lot guys.
The difference between the series I and series IV isn't that great HP wise (at least off the bat). Sure the setup is different and the series IV is better, but the difference in HP is only about 10 if I remember correctly (365 vs 375). For the couple thousand it'll cost to get a new blower, you might as well get a whipple or KB.

You can always get the upgraded intercooler from chicane to give you an extra 30 or so HP. That's the next route I'm taking.

By the way...what are your dyno #s right now?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Boostin S281
1st Gear Member

The thing is that car isn't stock... From what i've seen it has pulley, intake, TB with Maybe upgraded Chrome plenom or something, Short Shifter and Borla Catback... Still keeping stock pipe with cats... I think it's tuned also because the stock boost gauge goes past 10 and we don't know exactly how many psi it's boosting now but i think it's close to 15 or so...

I'm going to go test drive a 03 cobra stock one today and just see how fast are they stock compared to his...

How does the series IV supercharger sound? What's the limit on it, boost wise?

ORIGINAL: mills281e

Stock 2003 Cobras can dyno up to around 375 rwhp stock. If your friend (or the owner before him) hasn't done anything to his....that's thepower you're feeling.

The Series IV is a twin-screws, while the Cobra's M112 is a roots-style blower.TheSeries IV will run cooler than theM112...but I don't think the PSI capacityis as great for the Series IV.

Throwing a Series IV on your 2000 will givethe motor more power potential than yourcurrent Roots Series I set-up. Keeping in mind though.....without getting into anymore work than a Supercharger switchout to the Series IV, your current mods. and some other minor external upgardes (e.g. MAF, TB, etc...)....you're probably going to be limited to/hitting right arounda2003 - 2004 Cobra's stock power output.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Boostin S281
1st Gear Member

Very interesting.

I have to look at my dyno sheet, i don't remember of the top of my head what the numbers are...

ORIGINAL: eviligloo

ORIGINAL: Boostin S281

Thanks a lot guys.
The difference between the series I and series IV isn't that great HP wise (at least off the bat). Sure the setup is different and the series IV is better, but the difference in HP is only about 10 if I remember correctly (365 vs 375). For the couple thousand it'll cost to get a new blower, you might as well get a whipple or KB.

You can always get the upgraded intercooler from chicane to give you an extra 30 or so HP. That's the next route I'm taking.

By the way...what are your dyno #s right now?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Correction....looks like the Series 1 Supercharger puts out 350hp stock.

Others are the same:

Series II is 365. Series IV is 375.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Boostin S281
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mills281e

What else would i have to do to make more hp if i get series IV? How much would the stock engine handle and how far can i push it? the whole car only has 17k miles...
Maybe you can give me some kind of list of mods?
Also, how does a Series IV SC sound? The Cobra one whines like crazy... i love that sound.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Additions to a Series IV would be similar to what Igloo and 04SC have listed in their mods.
1. Chicane pulley
2.90 mm MAF (Lightning or SCT)
3.75 mm TB
4.Upgraded fuel pump
5.Not sure what injectors you're currently running....stock may be good for a while though
6.Chicane Intercooler (optional)
7. LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank (optional)
8. good/betterconducting plugs (optional)
9. SCT chip (or whatever your tuner uses) & tune (a must )

You'll hear good and bad things about Long Tubes on modular motors. Keeping in mind a quality set of Long Tubes with installation is some dough (e.g. more than the Chicane Intercooler with install).

You can always port theSeries IVas well. Not sure how responsive these cars are to cams, but that's also always a more invasive option after the above are complete.

Stock internals should be ok up to around mid 400's.

Whine is pretty solid on a Series IV I believe. I'll try to get some "Igloo-like" cockpit footage/soundofmy Series V under full throttle (it and the Series IVare both twin-screws...shouldn't sound too much different).
Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Boostin S281
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot bud...

I'm in the process of getting the TB and MAF
I bought TR6's The other day... Do i have to remove the SC to install these spark plugs?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

I've dynoed over 400 rwhp and torque with my series IV on pump gas. I've seen 408 rwhp, 411 torque on Sunoco pump gas.

I had 327 rwhp 346 torque with just a catback. That's probably in line with the 375 bhp or whatever they claimed.

Here are my upgrades:
Chicane pulley (best bang/buck upgrade)
Chicane intercooler (a bit expensive but very solid quality. I only got it because my stocker broke, you could just fill gaps around the stocker with a torch and some scrap metal for similar gains.)
Full exhaust (bassani: midlength headers, catted x-pipe, baffled rear) (Great sound/quality but over priced).
CAI/MAF/TB (noticable gains)
I bumped up to 42# injectors and a bigger fuel pump just to be safe.
I'm running TR6 plugs and I'm generally happy with them but the stockers were adequate.

If I were to make any other change, I'd go for some coil packs and maybe an open Cobra R hood to let the heat out. There are lots of little tweaks you can make (change the front-mount heat exchanger like the one LFP makes, get an ice box for cool intercooler water before a race, even port the SC intake) and you can stack that on top of things like ported heads, etc... I could probably hit 450 at the wheels if I just kept working on these things.

Quick Reply: Have some questions about performance upgrades... 2000 S281 - SC.