Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Dumb questions about engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Atencio

Default RE: Dumb questions about engine

ORIGINAL: mills281e

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....but, I believe Dyno Drag Racing is simply how your car dynos (the numbers it produces as well as what the power curve looks like) coupled with modeling applied to see how these numbers translate into a quarter mile time. The only way an auto tranny should hurt you is that it will make relatively less hp than the same car with a manual tranny.
My friends chassis dyno has staging lights so you can get reaction times as well as dyno numbers.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies!
Well, I feel a lot better knowing that I can reply with something I already know....
"Saleen takes the 3-valve, 4.6 liter V8 and tweaks it with filters and pulleys and a custom exhaust so that it puts out about 330hp."

My favorite reply about the supercharger is, "I'm already afraid of losing my license as it is -- ha ha." (which leads people to think I drive a whole lot faster than I do. But in my state, going 25 over the speed limit is a felony.)

When asked about the automatic, I always tell them I special-ordered it since I drive it every day. Then they're jealous.

I found info about the Dyno Drag Race. Sounds like fun... http://www.appalachianperformance.co...topic.php?t=41

You do a pull, get your estimated time for the 1/4 mile, then give them an estimate of what you think you'll do for the next two pulls. Points are scored for any variance between the actual time and what you guessed. You get double points for going faster than your guess, but LOW SCORE WINS! In other words, it's a test of consistency, not speed. Is it an unfair advantage, then, to have an automatic? If I were to race this way, would I "ease" into it a little, then hit the gas as hard as I can, or just floorboard it from the get-go? I don't know much about starting from zero. My thrills have always been from when I'm cruising along at 70 with the rest of traffic and I decide to take off and leave 'em.

Well, gotta go sell some BERNINAs for a couple of hours. (NOT Vikings, Jazzer.. you just like spelling Husqvarna ). Hopefully, I will be able to leave somebody else in charge and sneak out to the dyno race.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

Well, I made it to the race! It was actually a lot of fun. There were all kinds of cars and even a truck. The most fun to watch were the souped up whatever-it-was (the hood was missing, and it was some kind of import) with the crazy turbo that kept breaking down (they had a computer attached on board, so they were just there to get a $40 tune, really), the monster truck that left about a pound of tire rubber behind, and the brand-new Solstice (which actually had the best 1/4 mile time, although not the highest speed). When I left, a Mustang was in the race lead because he apparently comes to every race they have, so he knows exactly how to shift, etc. Interestingly, the driver is deaf.

There were a couple of automatics, so I found out it was okay to run them. They counted reaction time, by the way. I learned a lot by just watching the dyno and standing around talking to the guys. I found out that I know a lot more than I thought I did! I was actuallyable to hold a decent conversation with a couple of Mustang guys there. In fact, I was all, like, "yeah, they changed from a 2-valve to a 3-valve back in '06." Thanks for making me look super-cool.
[sm=joke.gif]

They want me to come back to the dyno day in a few weeks to see what baby can do. (the car, Jazzer!) I'm definitely going to try to make it, but I think it's a work day -- boo hoo... I think I could give a lot of those cars a run for their money.

This could be bad... I think I'm hooked!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ncponygirl
In fact, I was all, like, "yeah, they changed from a 2-valve to a 3-valve back in '05."
fixed!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:28 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PolkThug

In fact, I was all, like, "yeah, they changed from a 2-valve to a 3-valve back in '05."
fixed!
Awww, shoot!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 PM
acdc163
2nd Gear Member

Hi Robin, could I get your number? just joking, nice car
Old 02-10-2008, 05:52 PM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acdc163

Hi Robin, could I get your number? just joking, nice car
Hey, Amy, isn't it funny how they're all "just joking?"
Thanks for the compliment, ac/dc, hubby likes the car, too!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:28 PM
AmyVCTexas
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: elburrito99

Nice! It's been far too long since I've seen some double entendre from Amy.
Well gosh Stu, thanks!

Hey, Amy, isn't it funny how they're all "just joking?"
I hadn't noticed that!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Make sure you keep us posted with your times!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

No such thing as a dumb question.