Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

S197 Saleen vs Roush video

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:02 AM
dvf1973
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: S197 Saleen vs Roush video

If you like the roush look buy a Parnelli Jones they are so sweet!

um I like the parnelli jones cars but um it doesnt look like a roush to me.. a roush looks like a roush to me... kinda like me saying saleens are ugly but if you like them you should buy a bullit... cause they are awesome...

but yeah my heavy ugly slow,misgeared,dumb,hairy piece of **** car would never beat another car based on almost the exact same scale,platform, cause its so fat and dumb and ugly. you know when i drive down the road in savannah every single person looks, asks questions, takes pics, makes comments, must because its such a crappy ride
Old 03-01-2008, 09:25 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: saylene
......If you like the roush look buy a Parnelli Jones they are so sweet!
Or just buy the one you like??

As for the comment in the video about knowing the gear - he lost me on that one as well. The Roush shifter comes with various *****: Onesays Roush across the top of the handle, one is blank and one does have a gear map, and the Roush name across the side. None of that would matter when looking down. A good driver would know what gear the car was in by feel of the motor, or just by putting a hand over the stick and feel were it was.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 PM
127shtry127

Nobody has posted that the Saleen seemingly is overpriced relative to the 427R at a $10K premium. Everybody wants to see the Extreme against the P51 however the P51 is only $2K more than the Saleen used in the video. Wouldn't that be a more fair comparison?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:28 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I wish they would actually weigh the cars and do dynoes and point out more specific advantages and dis-advantages particular cars have. The Motor Trend comparison this month between the Roush(2), Shelby(GS), and the Saleen 3V seemed to list the real numbers in a complete way. Saleen needs to make sure they are giving the power they promise for that money. Erik
Old 03-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Chuckdoc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 127shtry127

Nobody has posted that the Saleen seemingly is overpriced relative to the 427R at a $10K premium. Everybody wants to see the Extreme against the P51 however the P51 is only $2K more than the Saleen used in the video. Wouldn't that be a more fair comparison?
When is Roush gonna drop a blueprinted or rebuilt motor in a Mustang? They seem to prefer bolt-ons and stop there.
I for one would love to see some Roush engine technology make it onto the s-197 platform. They have the know-how, they have the tools, they build Nascar motors for Christ's sake....

Anyway, kind of off the subject, but for what goes into a 302 Extreme over the vanilla 4.6L P-51, one would expect a price difference. Am I way off?

To put it another way, if the P-51 had a blueprinted, rebuilt, 5 or 6 liter V8 that Roush had produced, people would line up to get that car and pay Saleen Extreme prices. IMHO.

p.s. - and I'm talking about more than just forged internals. I'm talking about going up on displacement the way Roush knows how...
Old 03-01-2008, 04:07 PM
127shtry127

ORIGINAL: Chuckdoc

When is Roush gonna drop a blueprinted or rebuilt motor in a Mustang? They seem to prefer bolt-ons and stop there.
I for one would love to see some Roush engine technology make it onto the s-197 platform. They have the know-how, they have the tools, they build Nascar motors for Christ's sake....

Anyway, kind of off the subject, but for what goes into a 302 Extreme over the vanilla 4.6L P-51, one would expect a price difference. Am I way off?

To put it another way, if the P-51 had a blueprinted, rebuilt, 5 or 6 liter V8 that Roush had produced, people would line up to get that car and pay Saleen Extreme prices. IMHO.

p.s. - and I'm talking about more than just forged internals. I'm talking about going up on displacement the way Roush knows how...
The difference is that Roush does due dilligence in running durability testing and strictly follows federal emission regulations.

The stroked 4.6 litre to 5.0 develops too high of piston speed for the engine to handle reliably. The walls between the cylinders are too thin and will distort-maybe not during standard use, but when pushed to the limit say at the track for an afternoon you're asking for trouble.

Saleen goes through all the motions with blueprinting and so forth, but look at the history of complaints with their Extreme cars. The more they touch the more that ends needing fixing. A friend of mine has a Superformance cobra with a Roush crate engine. Drop that engine in as S197 and it will eat any Extreme for lunch.

I do love the look of the PJ car however. Great throwback look and awesome exhaust note.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:29 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I like that Roush leaves the motors alone for the most part. The blower combined with a good suspension is where it's at (for me). It you want a 1,200 hp car, most guys would just build it themselves. I know I loved starting with the entry level car and being able to make it my own.
If you want a Roush motor, there are plenty of crate motors they offer - up to the 588.