Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Recall Notice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:26 PM
dotbomb
3rd Gear Member

Default Recall Notice

So I got a recall notice today for my car regarding a 5th percentile unbelted female passenger. I guess they want to reprogram the Restraint Control Module.

My question is, since the seats have been modified by Saleen what is our procedure for getting this addressed?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 PM
127shtry127

Default RE: Recall Notice

Was it a Saleen based recall or Ford based recall?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Chuckdoc
3rd Gear Member

I've heard that this is an issue that is very difficult to address with aftermarket seats (or even Saleen recovered seats). Some have said their dealership doesn't know what to do with this. I'm standing by as I don't think this is a likely scenario with me (most kids will be in the back seat and definitely with a seatbelt on).

Old 03-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

I am ignoring it as smallkids will never ride in the front seat. Then again I never drive the car either.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

Ford recall.I saw it on the evening news.Que sera sera though since Isold my 06.

Not to refresh any squirlly ideas but if your passenger seat airbag indicator flickers when you drive your car with or without a passenger in the seat you have a 50% chance it will not deploy anyway in an accident. Remember, it's not the light that is malfunctioning, it's the sensor that has been disturbed during the Katskins swap.

I prefer a 4 point, harnesses and a Momo myself.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:11 AM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Say When
Ford recall.I saw it on the evening news.Que sera sera though since Isold my 06.

Not to refresh any squirlly ideas but if your passenger seat airbag indicator flickers when you drive your car with or without a passenger in the seat you have a 50% chance it will not deploy anyway in an accident. Remember, it's not the light that is malfunctioning, it's the sensor that has been disturbed during the Katskins swap.

I prefer a 4 point, harnesses and a Momo myself.
Marcus --
That's a 50% chance that the passenger airbag won't deploy, not the driver's airbag, correct?

Either way, when my wife sits in the seat, the light sometimes comes on. I guess it's nice that she's 5'7" but light enough for the car to think she's a kid. But far more importantly, I don't want the passenger-side airbag function turned off when I'm driving her around town.

--Stu
Old 03-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

Honest to god, the easist way to safely fix this issue is to switch your driver and passanger seat cushions. The driver side one is already broken-in in most cases so the sensors will detect someone of lighter weight easier. Plus you get a fresher plusher seat to sit in when you drive!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 AM
AL_TOON
2nd Gear Member

my girlfriend's **** are so big she hates wearing a seat belt. lol
Old 03-25-2008, 03:43 AM
127shtry127

ORIGINAL: Red_Devil

Honest to god, the easist way to safely fix this issue is to switch your driver and passanger seat cushions. The driver side one is already broken-in in most cases so the sensors will detect someone of lighter weight easier. Plus you get a fresher plusher seat to sit in when you drive!
You're way out to lunch on this! It is imparative that the OCS get recalibrated when the new leather and seat pad are installed. The issue isn't that kids don't sit in the passenger seat. The issue is that you may have somebody in the passenger seat that weighs 150+ lbs but the sensor doesn't setect >53 lbs due to increased stiffness in the seat cushion as assembled. The sensor is meant to be calibrate as built.

I believe the Ford recall addresses the RSM (restraint control module) and will reprogram it to fire the airbag so the force isn't so strong. The Saleen aitbag light is a totally seperate issue. Look into Roush 2005 recalls and you'll see the same issue-albeit addressed on their seats.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:26 AM
ninja205
3rd Gear Member

Very doubtfull I will receive a recall notice being across the pond, but having read up on the problem it would seem there is only a possibleproblem if a small/lightweight person is sitting in the front seat with the seat as far forward as possible, maybe overkill slightly on the recall just 'incase' something happens perhapsto avoid a lawsuit??

Quick Reply: Recall Notice