Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Used 05+ Saleen Buying Guide - Year/Model & Things to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
calshamus

Default Used 05+ Saleen Buying Guide - Year/Model & Things to look for?

I've started research into buying a used 05+ Saleen. I'm a working man who wants to realize my dream while maximizing my dollar. My top line is $40K-$45K. I definately want one supercharged and stout, but not necessarily an "SC".

I would like some input on some things:
1. Changes from year to year that might influence deciding on a particular year.
2. Things to look out for:
a) Check VIN to ensure true Saleen and model.
b) If non-SC already upgraded to SC look for X. (I know bad setup can destroy a motor)
c) Look for know posted issues here: https://mustangforums.com/m_4295442/tm.htm
d) Mileage considerations? Under 30K? 20K? 10K? Why?
3. Buying an SC vs. buying non-SC and then upgrading.
a) Can you simply bolt on a supercharger to a non-SC or do you need other engine mods?
b) Suspension differences from SC/non-SC?
c) Other differences with Brakes, drive shaft, transmission, clutch, shifter, etc. from SC/non-SC?
d) Pro/Cons for buying SC/non-SC?
e) If you own one now, what would you have done differently? (Upgraded/downgrade XXX option for XXX reason)

I have two thoughts on this:

Considering I can buy a non-SC for ~$10K cheaper, would it be better to buy and upgrade? $10K is a lot of money for upgrades and customization. I think there might be some real advantage to this approach. Plus, in general, wouldn't the non-SC motor have less stress on it? Also, I like the Tungsten Grey which I can't seem to find on an SC model. I know the resale on a non-SC that has been upgraded with a supercharger is not great, maybe this is the best option (but rare). For $10K I could add a supercharger, upgrade other engine components (get close to an extreme?), upgrade the rear end, etc.

As for the pro-SC view, everything is done and warrantied - guaranteed *problem-free Saleen happiness with proper resale value.

Really appreciate you thoughts on this? I think this thread will be helpful for some time.

Cal
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Used 05+ Saleen Buying Guide - Year/Model & Things to look for?

One of the big questions you have to ask yourself is:

How important is 'exclusiveness' to you?

If the answer is more important than not, then go with the SC. If it isn't too important, then go with a basic used Saleen (you can get them pretty cheap) and mod it up yourself.

You will have more of an appreciation of your "dream car" if you put some of your own wrenching in it. Although, if you can wrench on it yourself you probably already knew that!

I personally wanted a car that not many people had when I bought my Extreme. It is a great conversation piece, and an absolute thrill to drive. I had my fun when I put the Saleen supercharger on my 2006 gt and modded it up, after that I had the need to see what 'all the way' would do.

Unless you plan on taking it to the track or road course, you will probably never really functionally USE the upgraded suspension, bigger brake kit, extra horse power achievable with the forged internals. 475 hp is more than enough to "have fun" on the street.

Just my last 2 cents. I spent the rest of my sense on an incredibly sweet ride! [&:]
Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Dodge the year 2005.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

^^Why [&:] My 2005 has been trouble free
Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: calshamus

I've started research into buying a used 05+ Saleen. I'm a working man who wants to realize my dream while maximizing my dollar. My top line is $40K-$45K. I definately want one supercharged and stout, but not necessarily an "SC".

.........regardless, you should be able to find either model for well under $45k

I would like some input on some things:
1. Changes from year to year that might influence deciding on a particular year.
..........nothing major that should be a deal breaker if you are going to do some of your own wrenching.

2. Things to look out for:
a) Check VIN to ensure true Saleen and model.
..........we can't do this onefor you as the Saleen book is only currenty up to 2003. You will need to call Saleen for this.
b) If non-SC already upgraded to SC look for X. (I know bad setup can destroy a motor)
c) Look for know posted issues here: https://mustangforums.com/m_4295442/tm.htm
...........Most of these issues are trivial and easyfixes (if not already fixed) The real MAJOR problems showed up onsome of the 2006E cars, which it sounds like you are not in the market for.

d) Mileage considerations? Under 30K? 20K? 10K? Why?
............this is totally your preference based on value and exclusivity. Anything over 10k for a collecible car IMO would be considered HIGH mileage and the price should reflect it. If you are buying an SC model, then higher mileage MIGHT concern me a bit.

3. Buying an SC vs. buying non-SC and then upgrading.
a) Can you simply bolt on a supercharger to a non-SC or do you need other engine mods?
.............you sure can, but some minor mods might be necessary and definitely a gooddyno-tune
b) Suspension differences from SC/non-SC?
..............non that I know of, although most SC's got the Max-Gripdifferential and most got the big brake upgrade
c) Other differences with Brakes, drive shaft, transmission, clutch, shifter, etc. from SC/non-SC?
............none, except what mentioned above
d) Pro/Cons for buying SC/non-SC?
...........this is totally subjective. I bought a n/a and love it.
e) If you own one now, what would you have done differently? (Upgraded/downgrade XXX option for XXX reason)
...........not a thing

I have two thoughts on this:

Considering I can buy a non-SC for ~$10K cheaper, would it be better to buy and upgrade? $10K is a lot of money for upgrades and customization. I think there might be some real advantage to this approach. Plus, in general, wouldn't the non-SC motor have less stress on it? Also, I like the Tungsten Grey

.................Tungsten was a 2006 color, and MAYBEa 2007(not totally sure, thought it was replaced with Alloy), so youwon't find a 2005 in TG. However 2005 had Mineral Grey as a single year color option (which I just so happen to be partial to [8D])

which I can't seem to find on an SC model. I know the resale on a non-SC that has been upgraded with a supercharger is not great, maybe this is the best option (but rare). For $10K I could add a supercharger, upgrade other engine components (get close to an extreme?), upgrade the rear end, etc.

As for the pro-SC view, everything is done and warrantied - guaranteed *problem-free Saleen happiness with proper resale value.
............if you into resale value and collectibility then go SC. If you don't care about those aspects, then buy a used n/a and mod it up yourself for the savings

Really appreciate you thoughts on this? I think this thread will be helpful for some time.

Cal
I've provided some of my input above.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
calshamus

I don't think mileage is as important on an n/a, so I think I can even get one in with ~15K miles in the high $20K's, which give me possibly $20K to play with. $20K can make a very exclusive Saleen. I envision a hybrid Saleen beast with touches of Rona3l3.

Cal
Old 05-16-2008, 10:23 AM
calshamus

After researching, I'm definately going n/a and upgrading. I also like the Mineral Gray the best, so 05 it is. Now to find the right one at the right price...

Cal
Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM
cobraT
1st Gear Member

I have an '05 Mineral Gray, but not for sale. Only thought thru my research is an '07 and up has the upgraded PCM over the '05-06 model years. For tuning this is a plus. For Steeda's new adaptive program this is a must. Still working on this issue. Is it possible to use an '07 PCM in a '05-06? I like idea of that Steeda is taking with this software as it retunes itself.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:39 PM
calshamus

How much is an 07 PCM?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Saleen05797
4th Gear Member

I would definitely buy an N/A and upgrade. Many more options, you can do it how YOU want, and more bang for the buck like you already know. Good luck in whatever decision you make!

Quick Reply: Used 05+ Saleen Buying Guide - Year/Model & Things to look for?