Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

LFP Heat Exchanger

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Default LFP Heat Exchanger

Well the next mod is headed to my house as we speak. I ordered a Saleen LFP Heat Exchanger and Intercooler expansion tank (powdercoated black to match the car and blend it in under the hood).

I thought about going with the stenciled saleen logo on the front of the heat exchanger....but opted to keep it low key.

Should be a fun install. I can't wait!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:15 PM
StangKing
2nd Gear Member

Very nice....its a easy install..should take less then a hour...but man does it look great....
Old 09-18-2008, 07:08 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangKing
Very nice....its a easy install..should take less then a hour...but man does it look great....
How much power do you figure it added, Stangking? Or does it just help you keep the power you already have?

Did you also get the bigger intercooler reservoir?

I'll have to post before and after pictures.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 AM
StangKing
2nd Gear Member

to be honest I didnt notice any differents in power...It keeps the temps way down..thats for sure.. and yes I got the super tank as well..its a very nice piece...looks great..I had to make some adjustments to get it to fit right..but it was real simple.. If you have the canton overflow tank..if not its just take off and put on type of install...
Old 09-18-2008, 07:03 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Very nice Igloo! As Stangking mentioned, along with one of your initial impressions, upgraded HE's/reservoir tanks help you hold onto the power you have by getting cooler fluid to the intercooler.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Well I got the heat exchanger last night. I'm still waiting on the expansion tank to come back from powdercoating.

So I sat down to install it. I strongly believe that if you're going to install something its very important to unscrew at least one panel that you don't need to unscrew. So I got that out of the way early.

So here's what last night looked like:

1. Get tools and jack up the car

2. Unscrew unnecessary panel

3. Look around for oil pan

4. Find oil pan...but forget where you put the wrench while you were looking for oil pan.

4. Find wrench and put back in the toolbox

5. Get socket set out and search for correct fitting socket

6. Get annoyed when you have to use two different sockets to get 1 bracket out because of two different bolt sizes

7. Place socket back into box and forget which one you were using (this is a very important step).

8. Unscrew heat exchanger

9. Spend 5 minutes looking for the socket you just used so you can unscrew another bolt

10. Tug at heat exchanger and swear up and down that you have no idea how its still being held in place. Look for flashlight.

11. Discover a small screw behind the fans that is singularly making your life miserable. Throw screw across room.

12. Unscrew hose running from intercooler reservoir to heat exchanger. After the coolant starts pouring all over your hand....realize that the oil pan you found in step 4 is across the garage. Dive for said oil pan and prevent an Exxon Valdez-like spill.

13. Cut yourself on some plastic from the cushion that you're sitting on that has nothing whatsoever to do with the heat exchanger (optional)

14. Realize that the heat exchanger they sent does not have any holes drilled for anything.

So that's where I'm at right now. It was getting too dark to see anyway....but I'm halfway there.

Hey Stangking....did yours come pre-drilled with holes or did you just have to match up the holes from the old heat exchanger and drill them? I was a little worried about drilling holes to mount the fans since there are some fins behind this one (there are no fins behind the saleen one, just open space).
Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The only issue I have is with step 11. You don't throw it across the room, you throw it directly into the ground and it bounces up and hits you in the eye OR scratches your car. THEN, it becomes impossible to find as it went into the Pyracantha bushes. You next spend 1 hour looking for it with a flashlight that has 3/4 dead batteries as the hardware store is now closed. You find it only after 3 recovered Super ***** you lost in there 25 years earlier and THEN you find no holes to mount new equip.

Jazzer
Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 AM
StangKing
2nd Gear Member

yeah I had to drill the holes...dont really worry about the fans..because the org. screws off the fans will work great..just drill them right into the fins..they are very small,and it will not leak..The hardest part was drilling the holes on top,to mount the heat exchanger to the bumper support...Now thats the fun part....Did you take off the front facia??
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangKing
The hardest part was drilling the holes on top,to mount the heat exchanger to the bumper support...Now thats the fun part....Did you take off the front facia??
Nope. I just unbolted the bracket, unscrewed the heat exchanger, and dropped it right down. No need to take off the front fascia from what I can tell. Did you take off yours? if so, what for?

Last edited by eviligloo; 09-24-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:11 PM
StangKing
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I took my off,but I was also painting it..

Quick Reply: LFP Heat Exchanger