Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Fuel pump for VIXN recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default Fuel pump for VIXN recommendations please

Coming up on 60K and want to stay well ahead of failure point of gassy pump. Seems to me the S197 has a trap door to access/replace pump under rear seat or trunk, but don't recall seing one in my ride. Pretty sure I will have to drop the tank so hoping you pepes can give me a little insight on do's/dont's for install.

Is there a better or more reliable pump than stock unit? Will replace fuel filter for the second time while I am under there.

..... thoughts?

Jazzer

EDIT: Just looking at your site, Casey, and see you have a couple upgrade pumps for my ride. The SVT Focus and the one popuar in Cobras. It says some modification needed. What mods are needed?

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 09-22-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Unfortunately, the only way to access the fuel pumps in an 87-04 Mustang is by dropping the tank.

While it's out, look at a sumped and baffled tank, too. (I've got a tank from www.glennsperformance.com)

I'd recommend a dual Bosch pump setup. (044 pump)

I've got them on my Cobra and expect them to support the 800+ hp the car should make through twin 60's.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Nice set up Big.

Jazz, I would recommend the Focus pump for your current set up. It is a simple "plug and play" replacement. The GT pump does require modifing wiring and hoses. From our testing, slight flow gain over the Focus pump is not worth all the time and effort to install it.

Let me know if you want to order one, I will hook you up.

Casey
Old 09-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Saleen05797
4th Gear Member

I love that set up!

Hey Jazzer, I think you need some type of forced induction to compliment/go along with all these mods you are doing
Old 09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

I would go with the focus pump as Casey recommended. Jazz you are slippin slowly into the world of "go fast" parts
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

I'm not a big fan of spending money twice. If you're going to pump up the power, I'd recommend you save some cash and do it all at once.

It's a much bigger up front investment, but it pays off in the end.

If not, the focus pump is a great alternative. It'll support roughly 400 hp and it's plug and play.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

No plans to upgrade power. Just installed the JTL as I had credit from a vendor. Big Top, your system is sweet, but WAAAAAYYY to much for me to worry about.

Jazzer
Old 09-23-2008, 09:52 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

+1 on the SVT focus pump. It's cheap....and its all you'll need.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Got it all installed

Directions left a little to be desired though as dealing with the filler neck was a PITA and all the vent hoses had minimal slack once tank was on ground. I also had some issues with PH bar as the Griggs set-up is MUCH more involved than the stock S197 as I have a LARGE frame directly in front of tank.

Got it out, but needed a buddy to help as putting back in place was difficult (maybe I should have run it lower on fuel ) Installed a new filter while under there as well. The previous one I installed had only 20K on it, but seemed like a good idea. Be happy you S197 guys have an access and don't have to drop the tank

Jazzer

New tranny on the way next month
Old 10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Glad to hear you got it installed! You are good to go for a long time now. Next time, give me a call. I am happy to walk you through it.

Casey

Quick Reply: Fuel pump for VIXN recommendations please