Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Roush vs. Saleen Help me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:22 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
Saleen is faster quicker and better cornering than both Roush (track pack, stage 1-3 blackjack etc) AND Shelby (Shelby GT CS6 GT500 Super Snake GT500 KR) for the money at all price points.

This is mainly because Saleen had a dedicated tuner JDM and is the best handling mustang out there from the base model (though one of the hardest to drive).

HAHA!!! I just fell out of my chair!
Where did this info come from?

Look a both pros and cons of each car, and pick which one fits your personal driving style the best.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:19 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

There seems to be more aftermarket support for Saleens (JDM, Chicane, etc.), than Roush. But I don't own a Roush, so I'm not familiar with the vendors who support Roush products. I think it comes down to personal taste more than anything.

If you can, give yourself 60-90 days (or more) to buy a used one. You're more likely to find an outlier (i.e., a car that is selling for several thousand lower than the normal market value). Could be someone going through a divorce, losing a job, or who just found another car and needs to sell his/hers fast to buy the new one.

Check ebay, craigslist, performance autosport, and saleenls.com. On ebay, you can set up a search that will email you listings that hit your designated parameters.

I had listings of GT500s and Saleens emailed to me for 9 months by ebay before I found my S281SC at a ridiculous deal. Did the same for my wife's Tahoe (4 months) until a listing come through for a 1-year old vehicle with low miles for 1/2 off of MSRP.

The financial markets suck, which means there are deals to be had out there.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:04 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

What do you want out of the car?
Fun street car? Fun 1/4mile? Road course/ auto X?
300hp? 400hp? 800 hp?

Lots of Saleen owners here to ge reviews from.
Read up on fnsweet.com to see what Roush owners are saying about cars they own, aftermarket goodies (if needed) and over all ups and downs first hand.

First hand info is a great tool when shopping for a car.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:20 PM
seriousetoyz
1st Gear Member

I want somthing I can drive everyday with no problem but take 1/4 mile track ever now and then and maybe try a road course out, with out being a turd...
Old 09-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by david01130
be careful on those the second one is NA and the third is a gt with the saleen stuff put on. The first one seems legit. That reminds me, make sure you email saleen to see if it really is a legit saleen with an SC if it is advertised with one. While I was searching for one at the beginning of this year I came close to buying one that was said to be supercharged from the factory but really wasnt and one that was originally silver but painted black
What do you mean the 3rd on is a GT? Obviously on the 3v you'd have to put on the supercharger AND the JDM upgrade, but two of them are supercharged. I know REAL saleens with low miles sell all the time at a cost of about 32k when you reach 500hp, but i guess you have to be careful. Don't trust links from people who took 30 seconds to look them up and do your own research lol.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
HAHA!!! I just fell out of my chair!
Where did this info come from?

Look a both pros and cons of each car, and pick which one fits your personal driving style the best.
There are NO cons to Saleen besides being a death trap in the rain due to the tires/firm suspension, but most sports cars are like that.

look:

29k is about the lowest you can get a Shelby or a Roush for. For that money you buy a Saleen supercharged and upgrade it to 500hp.

Shelby GT, Roush Stage 3, and the Shelby GT Supercharged will all be beat in 1/4 mile, 0-60, cornering and top speed (Saleen has the largest diameter tires and the most hp to get up there (hp= top speed, tq = 0-60)).

45k is about the lowest you can get a gt500 for.

For that you can either buy a Saleen Extreme or a supercharged and do the conversion, and have enough money left over to upgrade it with a 590 hp kit, at that price point the gt500 with the 600hp package gets owned in every aspect too, as well as every Roush that i know of.

at 60k you can get a saleen 3v and pop a 302 engine upgrade (stroker kit) from Saleen/JDM with a supercharger, and their (JDM's) upgrade. At that point it puts out somewhere near 800hp and beats the Super Snake (725hp).

If you do all the suspension mods it will then beat every car on the planet including the S7TT which beats the Enzo. (Steve Saleen's personal car is a Saleen Extreme 302 with the JDM power pack and every suspension upgrade and he's tested his car against the s7TT head to head with two independent drivers). While the Super snake will be beat in every aspect, the Enzo will probably be able to have a faster top speed and better handling above 150mph.

So for 60k you're beating 1550k cars.

Some one asked about the reason for this scenario and the main one is that Saleens depreciate faster than those lending companies. For example Steve Saleen's car MSRP wise costs about 150k before the appearance mods but you can duplicate it with a used saleen before the appearance mods for 60k or less.

Last edited by Legion5; 09-26-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:58 PM
seriousetoyz
1st Gear Member

You guys are amazing for all this is info, considering this is prob the 100th thread on this lol. I can see there is no honest clear cut anwser but saleen seem to have a leading edge. I am not looking to add anything to the car at all for atleast a couple of years. How is the warentee with saleen?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

just get a roush stage 2 and put the tvs2300 on it.. The Ford Mustang GT TVS2300 ROUSHcharger price is $5,899, but you can upgrade your existing ROUSHcharger system for $4,999... so i think its a better deal to get one thats not supercharged and then do that.. or get a GT for even cheaper, make it look like whatever you want and put this on it.. this supercharger is supposed to get you 500rwhp with just a tune and is good for 700+

by the way i like saleens look more and was actually planning on getting a saleen body kit and supercharger in the future.. but this tvs2300 sounds promising
Old 09-26-2008, 04:00 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
There are NO cons to Saleen besides being a death trap in the rain due to the tires/firm suspension, but most sports cars are like that.

Shelby GT, Roush Stage 3, and the Shelby GT Supercharged will all be beat in 1/4 mile, 0-60, cornering and top speed (Saleen has the largest diameter tires and the most hp to get up there (hp= top speed, tq = 0-60)).

1/4 mile: Roush S3 Drag Pak wins. (Street legal 11s right off the showroom floor)
Skid pad: Roush S3 Trak Pak wins.
Road course: Roush S3 Trak Pak wins.
Big HP Numbers: P51 Roush is right up here with 510hp (@motor).

Even according to Saleen owners, Saleen is known for overrating HP numbers.
HP to weight is what matters, no over all dyno queen crap. Saleen's over sized wheels seem to be hurting no helping ...again, according to Saleen owners.
Boasting about custom JDM tunes for Saleen is ignoring Roush using custom in house tuning. Talking about JDM and other aftermarket Saleen upgrades and pretending like Roush upgrades aren't out there is ignorant. In fact JDM was one of the 1st doing post production work with the Roush TVS blowers on 3V cars. Along with that, most Roush owners pick up more Roush post production parts for their cars.

I don't want to turn this into a mud throwing contest more than I just did (and I'm sorry for taking it there), but a least be fair with comparing Saleen to Roush, please. Both Saleens and Roushs are made for being fun street cars. Biggest difference is Roush also caters to a more track oriented group these days with the "Track edition" S3 cars.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:14 PM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMichael
just get a roush stage 2 and put the tvs2300 on it.. The Ford Mustang GT TVS2300 ROUSHcharger price is $5,899, but you can upgrade your existing ROUSHcharger system for $4,999... so i think its a better deal to get one thats not supercharged and then do that.. or get a GT for even cheaper, make it look like whatever you want and put this on it.. this supercharger is supposed to get you 500rwhp with just a tune and is good for 700+

by the way i like saleens look more and was actually planning on getting a saleen body kit and supercharger in the future.. but this tvs2300 sounds promising
Here's a Nice Run with a TVS Roush Supercharger upgrade. This car is featured in the latest MM&FF magazine!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot0nIKjI690

Again for those on here with abit of common sense and a limited ego, we can make most any car run fast if you want to. It doesn't matter what brand it is so check the ego's at the door please.

Last edited by 07_427R; 09-26-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Roush vs. Saleen Help me!!!