Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Can't believe it. I am stupid

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Default Can't believe it. I am stupid

Man...I am sooo PO'ed right now.

Got a new tune from JDM, and was getting ready to install it when the thought hit me that the last time I put gas in my car, I think I put 91 octane in there. Call JDM, they tell me to make sure I have a min of 93 in there before I start the car, which would mean draining the tank, or putting some race gas in the tank to "mix" with the 91, bumping it up a few octane numbers.

Soooo..I go and get 4 gallons of race gas, put it in, and get ready to start the car. Phone rings..its one of my buddies..we yap..and during the course of converstion he says "I thought all race gas was leaded".

Long story short..called race supplier, turns out the gas IS LEADED, at least according to the girl who answered the phone.

Now, the good news is, I have not started the car. Theres roughly 1/4 tank of gas in there now (which I would assume is mostly the race gas).

A Ford technician told me to pull the fitting at the fuel rail, jumper the pump relay, and pump the gas out. Refill with new gas (about 5 gallons), and repump out. He said I could also pull the backseat and the fuel pump and siphon any remaining leaded out if I thought the pump didn't get it all. He said the fuel pump would pump out 99.9% of the fuel.

Then change fuel filter, and put 93 octane in.

Question is...will that remove enough of the leaded to not harm my converters? I know leaded won't hurt the motor, but it will destroy O2 sensors and convertors.

Ford tech said it would take at least a tank of leaded to do any damage. I have read trace amounts of lead will mess it up.

Need some opinions guys.

Help?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If leaded fuel concern is ONLY for the converters, I would just remove as much as reasonable and install 93. You will not hurt the converters with the small amount of lead in the filter and lines.

You should have a "bad gas" tune in your programmer for just such an issue though. What if you are out on the road and have to go to Sams Roadstop Gas 'N Grub?

Jazzer on Sams runny eggs and watery fuel

EDIT: I didn't see the O2 sensors thing, but I still HIGHLY doubt would cause damage. I bet they don't even read lead as it is not in any acceptable D.O.T. fuel. I would recommend you confirm they would be OK or just remove them for a tank. Then, re-install them and clear codes.

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 12-01-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

First off...Not all race gas is leaded. Where did you get it? Usually the higher octane stuff like 110 or 115 is leaded. 104 is not.

If you did manage to get some leaded gas, it's not the end of the world. Drain the tank and fill it back up with 93. If you're really ****, you can change the fuel filter, but believe me, it's not as big of a deal as you're thinking.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:17 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sidewayz6.0
First off...Not all race gas is leaded. Where did you get it? Usually the higher octane stuff like 110 or 115 is leaded. 104 is not.

If you did manage to get some leaded gas, it's not the end of the world. Drain the tank and fill it back up with 93. If you're really ****, you can change the fuel filter, but believe me, it's not as big of a deal as you're thinking.
It is Renegade Racing 110 Octane, so I'm pretty sure its leaded.

After reading your and Jazzers reply, I feel better about the leaded fuel situation.

I has a couple guys at the Ford dealership tell me to drop the tank and flush it out completely.

I was thinking that flushing it out with some unleaded and gassing up as normal would be fine. Just was worried about he trace amount of leaded left in the system.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Bummer. Pro-110 is leaded.

Again...It's not that big of deal. The worst that will happen is that you'll burn up the O2 sensors. And then you're out $60 and about 15 minutes of work.

That's an inexpensive lesson in my book.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sidewayz6.0
Bummer. Pro-110 is leaded.

Again...It's not that big of deal. The worst that will happen is that you'll burn up the O2 sensors. And then you're out $60 and about 15 minutes of work.

That's an inexpensive lesson in my book.
Agreed.

I should have asked, and I deserve the fallout from it. And you are correct, it IS the Pro-110.

The O2 sensors I can live with. You don't think there'll be any damage to the cat-converters?

Honestly, its worth 20 bucks of gas to thoroughly wash the tank and lines out to minimize any leftover leaded. I am also going to pull out the fuel pump and make sure the tank is as dry as possible before refueling.

I think if I do that, there should be no left over leaded.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:50 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Unclemilti, sorry to hear about your situation. On the other hand, the way you set up the story and posted it, I have been laughing for 10 minutes. Freakin Hilarious!

I'm sure you'll flush anything harmful out as suggested. Good luck, Erik
Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 PM
orange04s281
2nd Gear Member

its easy enough to jump the fuel pump or remove it if it will give you piece of mind.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:10 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

You should be fine. I would maybe dilute the fuel some more (using 91-93) and just let it burn. For the small amount you have in there, I would not be concerned. I think it is too small of an amount to hurt the converters. The O2s may or may not be affected. I would say no. What happens is the lead contaminants/build up on the sensor.....killing it. If you do nee to change them......use ONLY Ford Motorcraft replacements!!

Casey
Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by unclemilti
Agreed.

I should have asked, and I deserve the fallout from it. And you are correct, it IS the Pro-110.

The O2 sensors I can live with. You don't think there'll be any damage to the cat-converters?

Honestly, its worth 20 bucks of gas to thoroughly wash the tank and lines out to minimize any leftover leaded. I am also going to pull out the fuel pump and make sure the tank is as dry as possible before refueling.

I think if I do that, there should be no left over leaded.

You're worrying too much. Just drain the tank. You don't need to dry it out. Even if, let's say there was a gallon of leaded left in the tank. By the time you fill it back up with unleaded, it would be so diluted that it wouldn't do any damage. You just don't want to run straight leaded through.

Quick Reply: Can't believe it. I am stupid