Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

A late Christmas present

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:43 PM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Talking A late Christmas present

She's here! I am now the proud owner of S302E 08-011! She's an absolute beauty, the only 2008 Extreme in Speedlab yellow (and as far as I know, the only 2008 Mustang in yellow). Still waiting on all the paperwork so I can get the registration, so had to content myself with a quick lap around the block. Can't wait to get her on the road! :-> Pics will be up shortly...

So, a couple of questions or you Saleen types out there. The Engine Bay plaque lists it as S302E ID#001. The bumper number is 11, and the dash plaque is 011/200 (although I know they only made 32 2008 S302Es, not the
200 they expected). Is the difference between the ID and the Saleen number because the first 10 are "press cars"?

And, I did my first mod! OK, I am a big believer in keeping cars like this original, but when I first popped the hood and put the support rod up, and I saw that the rod was sitting right on the aluminium of the hood underside, I quickly made a little padding so that it wouldn't start to scratch. Thats about all I plan to do to the car! ;^>

Oh, one other mod needed - the car came with the lug wrench and air-compressor in the trunk, but just sliding around loose. I need to find a good place and way of tying them down - any suggestions?

Finally, the car comes with an iPod adapter, but although I found the "support plate" in the center console, I couldn't find the Ipod plug - can anyone give me a hint as to where it is hiding?

I was also thrilled when I found the Skip Barber gift certificate in the glove box - It expires April 1st, so I'd better hurry up and get my 1000 break-in miles done... Anyway, I'll report back when I've actually had a chance to drive this beast...

Cheers,
Chris.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:12 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Sounds amazing!! Post some pics ASAP please!!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OH, no.... Don't tell me you did the "aluminum hood rod protector mod"???? This is a BIG NO NO and your value just fell through the floor

Glad to see a new S302 "E" owner here! Looking forward to some pics, so welcome aboard.

Jazzer
Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM
tonylop33
1st Gear Member

Congrats! In this economy you probably got a deal. Every Saleen I have ever seen has the engine tag match the bumper number. Maybe it was a type-o that slipped by. Red Devil may be able to answer better than anyone.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Saleen does NOT produce their first few cars with the lowest bumper numbers. They do this so that they can reward their favorite customers with the lowest numbers upon request. So for example the first car they make may very well have the 11 15 etc bumper number.

Now I'm not sure if the bumper number and engine number and the actual production slot have anything to do with each other so that would be the difference that is important.

Uhh post some pics. I have ways of making you do that if you don't... just kidding.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Congrats Chris! Have fun doing a lot of smiling every time you get in the car/drive the car/get out of the car.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 AM
jdivad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctann
So, a couple of questions or you Saleen types out there. The Engine Bay plaque lists it as S302E ID#001. The bumper number is 11, and the dash plaque is 011/200 (although I know they only made 32 2008 S302Es, not the
200 they expected). Is the difference between the ID and the Saleen number because the first 10 are "press cars"?
Congrats, sounds great!

Looks like a typo happened with your serial plate(s).

Old Saleen Inc... pre-2008... had the quirk of skipping production numbers or "saving" numbers. It appears(ed) that New Saleen Inc, circa 2008-2009, would start at 01 and work their way up.

Contact Customer Service and give the the what's-what and see what they can add or inform. Whether you have the 01 car or 11. If need be, they can do a claim to stamp-out a correct plate for your E.

Does the window price sticker say #11?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:36 AM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the welcomes! She is just so photogenic, it shows up my poor photography skills! Here is one I posted over in the photo section, more to come!

Originally Posted by Legion5
Saleen does NOT produce their first few cars with the lowest bumper numbers. They do this so that they can reward their favorite customers with the lowest numbers upon request. So for example the first car they make may very well have the 11 15 etc bumper number.
Interesting - so the 32 2008 S302Es produced may not be bumper #1- bumper #33 (skipping number 6)? Mine was produced in 02/08 according to the engine-bay tag - could that really have been the first one produced? Exciting, already a little mystery!

Chris.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

ctann,

Congratulations -- and Merry Christmas!

As jdivad mentioned, contact customer service and they'll help you sort out your number discrepancy... this is not entirely uncommon.

As for number assignments, traditionally the low numbers have been put in the executive/press fleet, or saved for special people, but they quit doing a lot of that starting in 2008. Beyond those exceptions, a dealer will generally have the option to select a number of his desire, especially if a customer pre-orders a specific number and it's available. Other times the dealer will just take what's available when they need it. So the question still remains, if there were 32 built, are there numbers higher than 33? So far the highest number I've seen is 21.

While you've got customer service on the phone, you might ask them generally what the number distribution looks like.

Again, congratulations -- she's a nice looking ride!

Oh, and I see in your album that it's a Scenic Roof, too!

Last edited by Jim D.; 01-05-2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Added Scenic Roof comment
Old 01-05-2009, 05:52 AM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

congrats brother, you will love the extreme!!! its just a whole other animal.

Quick Reply: A late Christmas present