Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Cold Startup RPM's too high???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 PM
JimIII@JDM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by unclemilti
Mine does the same thing, too.

Its absolutely unecessary added strain and wear on the motor.

I called JDM, and was told "its normal", when obviously if sft's tune was changed, its not normal.

All my other vehicles rev to approx 1500 rpms when cold.

Eric..we may need to call JDM and ask that our tunes be revised.
If anyone has questions regaurding this please call and speak with me Jim JR. first. My father is very hard to reach sometimes and i can help answer your questions! Thanks alot!

JimIII

Last edited by JimIII@JDM; 01-15-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:21 PM
JimIII@JDM
1st Gear Member

Eric and Danny's tunes have been updated for the same idel strategy we used on Carls car. Hope you guys like them better, just let us know!

Just so everyone knows we are not commanding this in the tune. These cars have a high idle during cold start stock from Ford. Its much more evident in cold weather during a cold start and with cars that are running more boost. When your spinning the supercharger at a higher RPM even at idle its letting more air in past the blades. Thats what makes it ramp up so high too. We then have to change the tune to back it down. There is nothing wrong with this, i have never seen any problems directly related towards this in over 3 years experience with the Saleen series VI supercharger. My car even with out a blower starts up high, this morning it was 19 degrees out and i didnt hear my idle drop down untill about 5 minutes after i warmed it up. It too starts up over 2000 RPM then drops to 1500 or so and hangs there untill some heat is in the motor.

If you want to talk about excess stress on the motor then ask me about my 400+ 1/4 mile passes a year and my 4.56 gears that keep me over 3000 RPM for cruising at 75 mph on the highway! Everyday 30 miles each way to work and back home!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimIII@JDM
Eric and Danny's tunes have been updated for the same idel strategy we used on Carls car. Hope you guys like them better, just let us know!

Just so everyone knows we are not commanding this in the tune. These cars have a high idle during cold start stock from Ford. Its much more evident in cold weather during a cold start and with cars that are running more boost. When your spinning the supercharger at a higher RPM even at idle its letting more air in past the blades. Thats what makes it ramp up so high too. We then have to change the tune to back it down. There is nothing wrong with this, i have never seen any problems directly related towards this in over 3 years experience with the Saleen series VI supercharger. My car even with out a blower starts up high, this morning it was 19 degrees out and i didnt hear my idle drop down untill about 5 minutes after i warmed it up. It too starts up over 2000 RPM then drops to 1500 or so and hangs there untill some heat is in the motor.

If you want to talk about excess stress on the motor then ask me about my 400+ 1/4 mile passes a year and my 4.56 gears that keep me over 3000 RPM for cruising at 75 mph on the highway! Everyday 30 miles each way to work and back home!
Jim Jr- thanks for taking the time (and Jim Sr) to revise our tunes.

I'd be interested to see if you guys logged the differences between the 435 tune, 475 tune, and JDM tunes as related to startup rpms.
I don't recall my startup rpms changing drastically from my stock S/C tune to the 475 tune..if anything, it may have been a couple hundred rpms over the 1500 rpms or so with the Saleen tune.

But with the 3.2 pulley Air kit and JDM tune my startup rpms went to almost 2500 rpms..a noticeable increase at least on my car. Not blaming anyone....but I just preferred my startup to be a little less aggressive.

Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

I agree, def. different than my 475 tune. While it may not be a big deal to most, for me this car is probably as close to a "exotic" sports car I will ever own so I want to take care of it as best I can...
Old 01-15-2009, 03:47 PM
JimIII@JDM
1st Gear Member

That start up strategys are all the same, but if you noticed in the kits you mentioned they all run a different boost level. The 435 kit comes with a 4.00" pulley the 475 kit gets a 3.875" there is not much difference at all. Then you go to a JDM kit with a 3.40" pulley and open air kit. Your drawing in way more air than the car ever did.

When you add things like smaller pulleys for more boost, open air filter kits, throttle bodys, cams, etc...things that increase your air induction are going to create this high start up idle on an electronically controlled throttle body. We have to make changes in the tune to combat the high start idle speed. Its only for a split second and i gaurantee wont cause any problems, its just a small issue.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimIII@JDM

jim i certainly can not comment on your car but a can tell eric and danny that it was 15 out this morning and i started the car just to see if a few degrees colder would make a difference the car lit right up, didnt make it passed 1100 rpm and calmed right down so im sure they will be very happy.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Jim, a little OT but have you guys run any tests against the Techo Air Kit and the Saleen Extreme?? That $419 special seems real nice (would that include a tune mod??)...
Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Freezing cold with stock pulley, mine goes up to 1500 and will sit there for a little while. (tuned at SuperTune)
Old 01-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Radiating

mine was dyno tuned at brenspeed and don't seem to have this problem.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:14 AM
JimIII@JDM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by esanger
Jim, a little OT but have you guys run any tests against the Techo Air Kit and the Saleen Extreme?? That $419 special seems real nice (would that include a tune mod??)...

WE have done testing and they both produce the same power, the Saleen 08 Extreme air kit will handle more power however because of its bigger mass air flow sensor. The Techco kit utilizes the stock sensor. But we have used the techco up to 540 RWHP safely. IF you never see yourself going past that then it is a great deal and id go for it!!