Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Cold Startup RPM's too high???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Default Cold Startup RPM's too high???

It's only about 35 deg here in Alabama in the morning and I decided to start up the car. Upon startup it immediately revved up to about 2200 rpms and then slowly settled down to around 1K. 2200 seems a little high for initial rpms on a cold engine. I would think that revving that high when everything is that cold would put unnecessary stress on the engine..
Thoughts??
Old 01-14-2009, 11:34 AM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by esanger
It's only about 35 deg here in Alabama in the morning and I decided to start up the car. Upon startup it immediately revved up to about 2200 rpms and then slowly settled down to around 1K. 2200 seems a little high for initial rpms on a cold engine. I would think that revving that high when everything is that cold would put unnecessary stress on the engine..
Thoughts??
myself and many others have gone threw this with new tunes, i had jim sr readjust my tune so now on cold start it goes to about 1500 for a split second and come right down, my concern was the same as yours and it seemed it took some time for jim sr to make it right!! but im sure he has got it down now!! also it isnt just jdm, others have had simular results with other tuners.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Thoughts??
Mine does the same thing, too.

Its absolutely unecessary added strain and wear on the motor.

I called JDM, and was told "its normal", when obviously if sft's tune was changed, its not normal.

All my other vehicles rev to approx 1500 rpms when cold.

Eric..we may need to call JDM and ask that our tunes be revised.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by unclemilti
Mine does the same thing, too.

Its absolutely unecessary added strain and wear on the motor.

I called JDM, and was told "its normal", when obviously if sft's tune was changed, its not normal.

All my other vehicles rev to approx 1500 rpms when cold.

Eric..we may need to call JDM and ask that our tunes be revised.
mine would go to 2000 rpm and stay there for a second or two before it dropped, the other day it was 15 degress outside and i needed to get my quad out so i had to start my E!! i would not have even started it had the tune not been corrected, especially since jim sr is dead against using 5-20 mobil 1 and claims it throws off the vct because its to thin, so now on his recomendation im using a motorcraft semi syn thats 10 - 30 and would definately be thicker and harder to pump up on such a cold start. speak with sr directly because sometimes you can receive the wrong info when it goes threw a few people.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:05 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sftdyna
speak with sr directly because sometimes you can receive the wrong info when it goes threw a few people.
I have noticed that....
Old 01-14-2009, 07:22 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

If its only at 2200 for a second, it is fine...the motor is just very cold...now, if it stayed at that rpm for more than 5 seconds, you would have a problem
Old 01-14-2009, 08:03 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06Saleen3V
If its only at 2200 for a second, it is fine...the motor is just very cold...now, if it stayed at that rpm for more than 5 seconds, you would have a problem
i think it also has to do with the fact that our cars didnt do it before the tune!! and maybe just maybe some of us would like it to not do it after the tune!!! my car hung at 2000 for a sec or two but still took its time coming down, 2200 is even worse!! worse then that is getting the wrong info about it being normal. contact sr he will make it right, he did for me.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:34 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sftdyna
i think it also has to do with the fact that our cars didnt do it before the tune!! .
Yeah, I think that is my main issue with it...it didn't do that until this last tune...
Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Spoke with Jim Sr. this morning. JDM is going to tweek my Stage II tune and send me a new one that will alleviate the issue.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
sftdyna
2nd Gear Member

Spoke with Jim Sr. this morning. JDM is going to tweek my Stage II tune and send me a new one that will alleviate the issue.
also spoke with sr on this topic and he was actually waiting to address the issue with all those concerned.

Quick Reply: Cold Startup RPM's too high???