Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Best exhaust for the 05+ saleen?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:29 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by david01130
Sounds like H is the way to go. How do you like your headers and H compared to just the H? Is it better to just go all out now and get headers along with the H pipe? Do you have any videos of your new setup? I think your youtube videos are just of the H pipe and it sounds pretty good although you have cams. How did the install go on your pacesetter longtubes?

The headers pretty much put the icing on the cake. It sounded good with just the hpipe but now it sounds really good. Right now my drive way is a sheet of ice but its suspose to get above freezing tomorrow so I'll try to get it outside and get a sound clip of it. The pacesetter headers are very nice for the price. Welds are nice, ceramic coating is really nice, and they fit really well. One thing some may not like is that the hpipe is not stainless steel. I've had aluminized mid pipes on several of my other cars and never had a problem with it so it doesn't bother me. The install wasn't that bad but I had done a previous header install on my 03GT.

Last edited by ScremnS281; 01-21-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:05 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

If you can afford to do the mid pipe and headers than do it. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

I agree, if your considering doing headers then you might as well do them to begin with and you won't have to buy another mid pipe.

Here is a short video. The car sounds better in person but you can get an idea..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzrAiUlQwh8
Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

god that sounds amazing with those cams. Thanks for the video. If I just got the midpipe I know Ill be wanting headers soon after so Ill probably get both instead of wasting my money on the longer midpipe like you guys said. The only thing is Ill be in San Diego in my crappy rental house with its crappy garage and Im afraid the install will be a bitch without my tools back home. Did you need to lift the engine at all for the header install? All I have with me are a wrench set and a ratchet + socket set and other basic tools. Is there anything else I should get? Hopefully Ill have something on the car within the next 2 weeks. With 450rwhp I want it to sound like 450rwhp

Last edited by david01130; 01-22-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by david01130
god that sounds amazing with those cams. Thanks for the video. If I just got the midpipe I know Ill be wanting headers soon after so Ill probably get both instead of wasting my money on the longer midpipe like you guys said. The only thing is Ill be in San Diego in my crappy rental house with its crappy garage and Im afraid the install will be a bitch without my tools back home. Did you need to lift the engine at all for the header install? All I have with me are a wrench set and a ratchet + socket set and other basic tools. Is there anything else I should get? Hopefully Ill have something on the car within the next 2 weeks. With 450rwhp I want it to sound like 450rwhp

I raised the engine and put prothane motor mounts in while I was at it. Some people say the engine will lean side to side with the stock motor mounts causing the headers to rub and the prothanes take care of that. I also removed the starter and the steering shaft. You will need 10, 13, 15, 18mm deep well sockets, 20 inches or so of extensions, and a swivel. Ratchet wrenches for the headers bolts help tremendously. A breaker bar is a big help too, I use my jack handle.

Haha mine sounds like it has 450rwhp but only has around 330
Old 01-22-2009, 05:03 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

On a related note, has anyone found away to eliminate or reduce the exhaust drone that seems to creep up around 2,000 rpm?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:55 PM
ultamax

OP: Have u looked at the Magnaflow Tru-X kit? I've wonder how it sounds on our cars; maybe matched well since it's the same manuf.

I had an x-pipe on my previous NA '05 w/ bullet-style Dynomax mufflers and it sounded gnarly. I even had several import guys asking about what system was installed, to my surprise.

I've been back and forth on adding something to my stock/Magnaflow Saleen system, but much of the time I enjoy the look on people's faces when they get walked on by a seemingly underpowered, quiet-ish car. However, last night while rolling out with my local club someone informed me after a spirited run in with a Hemi that the thing sounded great after the butterflies went wide open. On the other hand, I'm like you at times and want my 400/400+ car to sound the part.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by elburrito99
On a related note, has anyone found away to eliminate or reduce the exhaust drone that seems to creep up around 2,000 rpm?
The snow finally melted enough to go out for a drive today!! The headers eliminated the drone.. all business now!!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:42 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I know people have mentioned a drone, but thats when they had the cats removed. IF it becomes a problem just put hi-flow cats on.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM
rdeor
1st Gear Member

I really like my Kooks with the catted X pipe. I get complements everywhere I go.
I have to ask what is the diff. between an the X and an H pipe? Is it sound, more HP? I don't think Kooks offered an H.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best exhaust for the 05+ saleen?