Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Ford Dealerships Closing

Old 01-29-2009, 04:14 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctann
That I did not know. Here's a link to a news article. I was actually going to plug Novato Ford in my last entry, looks like their competition just went down by one... After Swanson Ford shut down, it took me ages to find another Bay Area Ford dealership I trusted (Fremont, "Friendly", Capitol, you can keep them all...). I hope that Novato and San Francisco Ford (owned by the same guy) can stay in business...

Chris.
Have you tried Fronteir Ford in Santa Clara? I have been going to them and they are pretty good. Dont go to Capital. Worst dealer in the country. Fronteir owns a few dealers (Fronteir infinity, etc.) hopefully they wont be going anywhere.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 PM
mikebna
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by esanger
My local dealer isn't showing any signs of closing, but given the level of service I have gotten from them in the past I could care less if they close (no offense to those that would lose their jobs, but they treat their customers like crud)..
Neither was ours, we bought a brand new MKZ on 12-30-08 and went to take the finance guy some stuff last night and the whole place was a ghost town, even the furniture was gone....they are sending the poor guy to their Suzuki store.

mike
Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Jonsey
4th Gear Member

A Dodge dealer near my house closed down and a Chevy dealer near work closed down as well. The dealer I bought my car from still had 3 NEW PJ's last time I was there. That can't be good.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:39 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I have seen a couple of ford/GM/Chrysler dealerships close in the last year. Don Reid Ford closed all his dealerships and someone on the GM side closed 11 stores.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:19 AM
A1SALEEN
3rd Gear Member

I have seen 2 ford dealers close in the last 6 months near my area
Old 01-30-2009, 05:37 PM
ctann
1st Gear Member

So here's a question - when these dealerships go under, especially suddenly like San Rafael Ford, what happens to the cars? A dealer "owns" the cars right, although possibly on borrowed money. I guess they go to auction, right? Or are new cars treated differently? Someone, somewhere will be trying to recover the equity in these unsold vehicles, and that means there could be some *stellar* deals around. I think this type of auction is dealer-only, but in this environment, I wonder just how hard it would be to sign up and go pick up a Saleen, Roush or GT500 for a song...

Chris.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I think SR Fords cars were "Ford" owned, and probably went back to a warehouse somewhere or distributed among other dealers???? Novato Fords cars are already owned by the dealer and is doing quite well.

Jazzer
Old 01-30-2009, 11:19 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Depends on the dealer. I know when the ones in my area closed they did auction them off in one day. GT's sold for "slightly" under cost which wasn't that great of a deal. If you had the cash in hand it was okay, but if you had to finance it wasn't that good.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 PM
AL_TOON
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikebna
The largest Ford Dealership in our area has closed it's newest store. It was built less than two years ago in Bullheadcity, AZ close to Laughlin,NV. The employees were either laid off or sent to work miles away from where they now live probably without compensation for the extra travel!

Seems as though it had huge losses and the owner may even lose the property due to the economy.

It's too bad because I had started taking my Saleen there for service because I had been lied to too many times by the one here in Kingman, AZ.

Have any of you guys seen any of this happening in your areas?

mike

I need to check my window sticker but that might be the dealer where my car came from.

the nearest dealer to me closed. Mel Clayton ford in central phx. same dealer was around for 70 years. they closed/retired sold part off.

bill heard chevy closed down there store.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Originally Posted by ctann
So here's a question - when these dealerships go under, especially suddenly like San Rafael Ford, what happens to the cars? A dealer "owns" the cars right, although possibly on borrowed money. I guess they go to auction, right? Or are new cars treated differently? Someone, somewhere will be trying to recover the equity in these unsold vehicles, and that means there could be some *stellar* deals around. I think this type of auction is dealer-only, but in this environment, I wonder just how hard it would be to sign up and go pick up a Saleen, Roush or GT500 for a song...

Chris.
How it works today, I'm not sure? But, back in the day, dealers did not have to "buy" vehicles outright from the manufacturer. They paid what is called "flooring". Basically it is short term financing of the new inventory.

When the credit crunch really hit, GMAC stopped all GM dealer financing.....flooring. At this point, dealers have to pay for the new cars on the lot! (or if possible, find finance somewhere else)

I posted awhile ago on Ford closing dealers. It has been going on for some time. An interesting tidbit...... A friend's cousin was a top accountant at Ford, retired a few years ago. Ford called/hired him back to head up closing of dealers across the country. As what exactly happens to the cars, not sure. Parts inventory go back to Ford or if the dealer has a sister owned store, goes there. Shop equip. , racks, lifts, etc. are sold at auction.

Check this out.........The world has WAY to many new cars right now!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Dealerships Closing