Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Roush and GT500 Owners / Drivers Chime In!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:39 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

My first problem right off the bat with the Roush cars is that they have no book value listed in any of the major pricing bibles, namely NADA. To me, that is ridiculous. I also am not crazy about the 18" wheels and weird (imo) frontends on them.

Even at that..I'd pick a Roush over an 09 Shelby. BUT...thats an 09.

If we are talking about the 2010.....the 2010 Shelby just kicks ***..looks, and I'm sure performance and handling wise from what I've read. I am strongly considering dumping my Saleen and picking up one of these when the time is right. I love the colors and the aggressive stance, and Shelby hit it right with the new body style.

Quality wise, I don't think ANY of the "specialty" Mustang builders hold a candle to what Shelby puts together, whether its an 09, or the new 2010. Also, as Polk said..you aren't going to beat the 5.4 forged motor-it is simply a beast when you start tuning and tweaking it.

I would doubt you'll have to spend much money, if any at all to get the '10 Shelby to handle as well as the Roush..so to me it makes it a no brainer if you can wait till the 2010s come out..
Old 01-31-2009, 02:14 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Well, I had a chance to drive a Roush 427R at the dealership this AM (they absolutely refused to let me test drive one of the ten or so GT500s on the lot - oh well), and I was pretty impressed. Very tight feel, loved the shifter (it looks too tall in the pics, but it was just right), and the car pulled pretty well (though I did not get it in the higher RPMs). Downside to the car I tested was the alignment was off (or the steering wheel was crooked!! lol), and it did not have the Roush big brakes. Overall, I was impressed though.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:18 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Don't purchase anything until you test drive it. Try another dealer.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S281 E
Don't purchase anything until you test drive it. Try another dealer.
Absolutely - I'm glad I test drove the Challenger SRT-8. What a disappointment that car was...
Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Why wouldn't a dealer let you test drive a car? That's stupid.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:30 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Why wouldn't a dealer let you test drive a car? That's stupid.
I agree... this dealership also had about 10 GT500s on the lot.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 AM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

The Shelby GT500 is amazing for what it is, a mass-produced, fully-warrantied car with lots of horsepower out of a big (and heavy engine). It has unlimited hp potential, but at a big price. It is very, very nose heavy. That means nothing in a straight line 1/4 mile, but it's a serious issue when you're trying to plow through turns. It will probably hold together better than most Roushes or Saleens (both for engine and body/trim issues) simply because Ford put the time and $$$ into putting together a reliable car that they can sell in large numbers (27,000+ over the first 3 years alone).

But here's my take. Having a Saleen that puts out close to 500hp (at the crank), I think I have pretty much all the horsepower that's practical for street use. For the Roush or the Saleen, you'd likely want a custom tune that gives you better throttle tip-in/response so that you launch off the line faster. You'd probably also prefer 3.73 gears (my guess is the Roush comes with 3.55, although I think the stock 2008 and 2009 Mustangs are now down to 3.31 stock for epa/mpg reasons).

With 500-550hp, and 3.73 or 3.90 gears, you can easily melt your rear tires without much effort. In fact, you may find that it's hard NOT to melt your rear tires without much effort. So what's the point of having 600hp, let alone 700hp or more that you could get with a Shelby? Not much unless you're putting on racing slicks and doing 1/4 miles on a track.

That being said, I'm still considering picking up a 2010 Shelby GT500 (in addition to, not in place of, my Saleen) just because it's such a cheap way to get 500hp and a 6-speed stick. And I like the new sheet metal.

Just my $.02.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by elburrito99
The Shelby GT500 is amazing for what it is, a mass-produced, fully-warrantied car with lots of horsepower out of a big (and heavy engine). It has unlimited hp potential, but at a big price. It is very, very nose heavy. That means nothing in a straight line 1/4 mile, but it's a serious issue when you're trying to plow through turns. It will probably hold together better than most Roushes or Saleens (both for engine and body/trim issues) simply because Ford put the time and $$$ into putting together a reliable car that they can sell in large numbers (27,000+ over the first 3 years alone).

But here's my take. Having a Saleen that puts out close to 500hp (at the crank), I think I have pretty much all the horsepower that's practical for street use. For the Roush or the Saleen, you'd likely want a custom tune that gives you better throttle tip-in/response so that you launch off the line faster. You'd probably also prefer 3.73 gears (my guess is the Roush comes with 3.55, although I think the stock 2008 and 2009 Mustangs are now down to 3.31 stock for epa/mpg reasons).

With 500-550hp, and 3.73 or 3.90 gears, you can easily melt your rear tires without much effort. In fact, you may find that it's hard NOT to melt your rear tires without much effort. So what's the point of having 600hp, let alone 700hp or more that you could get with a Shelby? Not much unless you're putting on racing slicks and doing 1/4 miles on a track.

That being said, I'm still considering picking up a 2010 Shelby GT500 (in addition to, not in place of, my Saleen) just because it's such a cheap way to get 500hp and a 6-speed stick. And I like the new sheet metal.

Just my $.02.
I agree for the most part. But, I will only throw in my 2 cents that you can NEVER have enough HP, or HP potential. Afterall, why buy these cars if you can't brag a little?

And, the 2010 Shelby does address the nose heavy issue with re-rated springs and a bigger roll bar I believe.

Last edited by unclemilti; 02-04-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by elburrito99
With rumours of a light-weight 5.0l engine on its way (Coyote), I would be waiting to see how that pans out. I'm surprised that Ford has't revived the "Boss" name yet, and my predicition is that it will be the next-big-thing from (ex)SVT, powered by this new engine - somewhere around 2011.

Chris.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Wyomustang

Originally Posted by unclemilti
I agree for the most part. But, I will only throw in my 2 cents that you can NEVER have enough HP, or HP potential. Afterall, why buy these cars if you can't brag a little?

And, the 2010 Shelby does address the nose heavy issue with re-rated springs and a bigger roll bar I believe.
I would agree, it's the reason why we buy these cars. I have an 09 Shelby GT-500 and I never even like Fords until I drove this thing, I had to have it. The quality alone amazed me and you can just feel the potential by just sitting in it.

Great car and it looks awesome

Quick Reply: Roush and GT500 Owners / Drivers Chime In!