Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Roush and GT500 Owners / Drivers Chime In!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default Roush and GT500 Owners / Drivers Chime In!

Help me make some decisions on my next car here!

I'm in the process of doing my homework on the GT500 and the Roush. For the past year or so, I've been eyeing the GT500 as my next car (current lease is up in four months), but the Roush has really grabbed my attention lately.

They both seem like great cars, but from what I've read, the Roush (427-429R) is more of a well-balanced machine (power, torque, braking, handling, etc) than the 500. The 500 has the edge in straight line power, but all that weight up front seems to get a lot of negative press.

Has anyone owned / driven both, and if so, what is your take?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Redfire427

As an owner of an '07 Roush 427R, I can tell you that you would be very happy if you purchased one. They handle like a dream, and plenty of power. I make custom pulleys for the Roush supercharger and my car makes 495 crank horse ( 421 rwhp ) so with lighter weight, beating a GT500 in straight line power is no problem.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 PM
ctann
1st Gear Member

There are some amazing deals to be had on Roushes - my local dealership still has BlackJacks and 428Rs backed up on the lot, with the 428Rs advertised @ $36k, Blackjacks @$43k. Personally, the name turned me off the 428R - a "428" without a 428 engine just seems somehow like false advertising to me. I loved the BlackJack though, which is pretty much the same setup as the 428R, and I was really close to getting one. I finally went for the S302E, but it was a close thing...

Chris.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:44 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

What do you want out of the car? If you want unlimited hp potential than the GT500 will be hard to beat. As for handling you "could" make the GT500 handle as well as the roush but it will cost you more in the end. Its going to come down to what you prefer. Two different cars built for two different purposes.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ +1

Jazzer
Old 01-30-2009, 11:35 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Ideally, I'd like a nice base with as many "goodies" as possible to start with "out of the box," which seems to be the Roush. Other than cosmetic, I can't think of anything else on the car that I would do right away. With the GT500, I'd be looking at brakes and suspension right away, while the Roush already has this. Plus, entry level on a GT500 right now is a few thousand more than a 427R, but you don't get the suspension, brakes, etc., etc. of the Roush.

On the other hand, the Shelby will be worth more in the long run from a collectability standpoint. When I think high performance Mustangs, the name "Shelby" comes to mind.

Are the performance and characteristics on the cars really that much different though?

Originally Posted by S281 E
What do you want out of the car? If you want unlimited hp potential than the GT500 will be hard to beat. As for handling you "could" make the GT500 handle as well as the roush but it will cost you more in the end. Its going to come down to what you prefer. Two different cars built for two different purposes.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM
SMOKE
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Are the performance and characteristics on the cars really that much different though?
Out of the box ... off the showroom floor ... yes, but as mentioned, "If you want unlimited hp potential than the GT500 will be hard to beat".

The trend for many first time ROUSH owners, I've noticed, is getting a Stage 3 variant and enjoying it quite a bit in the first year or two of ownership while putting on 'mild' mods. Trying to maximize the ROUSH enhanced Mustang GT for power and some limited handling. But, after reading various forums and seeing the big dyno numbers of the 5.4 or even the S/C DOHC 4.6 .... many owners look to 'upgrade'.

Personal observation, once the owner gets comfortable in the aftermarket upgrading world ... they want to tackle the big boy of the time. During the late SN95 run it was the SVT Cobra. With the new platform, S197, it's the SHELBY GT500.

Take it for what it's worth, but either vehicle would provide great experiences during ownership. The ROUSH family is tight, new and up and coming, whereas the SHELBY contingent is 'well-established' and legendary.

Based on your comments ... I think the ROUSH Stage 3 (any variant) would really fit you well but, dependent on you deepest desires, only time will tell if you make the jump the SHELBY side.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Do your self a favor and don't even consider these cars as investments. If you sell either one your going to lose money. If you want to look at it in these regards you should buy the one you can find at the cheapest price so in the end you won't lose as much dough.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

From what it sounds like I would stick with the roush. UNLESS you plan on trying to make some big numbers on the dyno and have suspension and handling in a distant second.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

It's a win-win situation.

Personally, I'd go GT500 because Ford hit a home run with the forged 5.4L. It can handle whatever upgrades you can throw at it. Suspension upgrades are cheap compared to how much $ it would take to match the GT500's engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roush and GT500 Owners / Drivers Chime In!