Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen Gauge Question: round 2.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:30 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Saleen Gauge Question: round 2.

Ok, so after an afternoon of basically pulling my entire car apart to run the wire harness for the Saleen gauges, I'm stuck.

I hooked up everything as instructed by Saleen, minus the actual hook of the wire to the ACT sensor (missing the female end of the plug, of course), and when I turned the key the gauge doesn't light up, and it just pegs all the way to the right.

Any idea what I screwed up?

It's wired up AFAIK like as instructed here:
http://www.saleen.com/installation-m...%20Rev%20A.pdf

Here's my original thread asking about the difference between the gauges I have and the harness, too.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/sale...-question.html

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the help. Once I get this gauge working properly and reground the radio, I"m officially done messing with this thing. It's time to simply drive it and enjoy it.

Alan
Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 AM
AMS MIKE
2nd Gear Member

it only lights up when you turn the lights on.

without the ACT lead hooked up, it WILL peg....it needs the sensor output.

Hook up that ACT wire properly and Start the car and watch it read correctly. With no sensor hooked up, some will PEG and some won't depending on MFG.

EDIT: If it still doesn't work properly....check Power and Ground with a multimeter AT THE GAUGE to make sure its getting the correct voltage. If you wired correctly, you should have 12v when key is on ACC.

Last edited by AMS MIKE; 02-06-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt
Ok, so after an afternoon of basically pulling my entire car apart to run the wire harness for the Saleen gauges, I'm stuck.

I hooked up everything as instructed by Saleen, minus the actual hook of the wire to the ACT sensor (missing the female end of the plug, of course), and when I turned the key the gauge doesn't light up, and it just pegs all the way to the right.

Any idea what I screwed up?

It's wired up AFAIK like as instructed here:
http://www.saleen.com/installation-m...%20Rev%20A.pdf

Here's my original thread asking about the difference between the gauges I have and the harness, too.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/sale...-question.html

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the help. Once I get this gauge working properly and reground the radio, I"m officially done messing with this thing. It's time to simply drive it and enjoy it.

Alan

The gauge only lights up when you turn your headlamps/parking lights on.

If its not lighting up at all, then you've got a wire not getting power. The harness pulls 2 kinds of power from the SJB box, one is for the lighting, the other connects to the ACT. I'm not familiar with what you've done, as far as running the harness, but the SJB is where all your power starts.

Its pegging to the right, I think, because its not hooked up to the ACT.

Seems like I remember my gauge doing the same thing until I had the harness completely hooked up.

Last edited by unclemilti; 02-06-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:56 AM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMS MIKE
it only lights up when you turn the lights on.

without the ACT lead hooked up, it may peg....it needs the sensor output.

Start the car and see if the other gauge resets to read correctly. Many gauges sweep all the way peg and then drop to normal when the car is started.

If it still doesn't work properly....check Power and Ground with a multimeter AT THE GAUGE to make sure its getting the correct voltage.

Also make sure the lead on the boost sensor is tight and getting a good connection.
I have noticed that with my gauges..they peg to 0 when starting the car, then jump up and sweep to the current reading.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Mine's pegging to 200 degrees. (Far left.)

I have to see from where I can get the cylindrical female connector that you splice into the ACT harness.

Can I just cut the harness at the end and splice the wires directly? (I'd much rather have the proper harness connection.)

I'm still not getting the gauge to light up, though. That's my biggest concern. I'd be pretty disappointed if the backlight was bad and not a part you can replace.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Haven't heard of this on yet. MIght need to ask Red Devil or Jess.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

I just PM'd Jess to see if he's got the harness piece I need.

Hopefully I hear back from him soon.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt
Mine's pegging to 200 degrees. (Far left.)

I have to see from where I can get the cylindrical female connector that you splice into the ACT harness.

Can I just cut the harness at the end and splice the wires directly? (I'd much rather have the proper harness connection.)

I'm still not getting the gauge to light up, though. That's my biggest concern. I'd be pretty disappointed if the backlight was bad and not a part you can replace.

Thanks guys.
Bad news for ya...the light is not replaceable..its a soldered in LED.

Have you ran power from the battery to the gauge to see if it will light up that way?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

I'm afraid to start messing with things.

Do I simply run the power and ground, then run a 12 volt source to the illumination wire?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Oh,and Jess completely came through. He's got the harness piece I need and he's sending it over now.

Quick Reply: Saleen Gauge Question: round 2.