Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Tork Tech/Chicane Intercooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:01 PM
StangKing
2nd Gear Member

very nice numbers!!! Congrats.. and the sensor can be order from Saleen for about $35.. I just order one this week...
Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Tork Tech Intake, Chicane Intercooler, and 42lb injectors.

Before:

340 RWHP / 368 RWTQ

After:

387 RWHP / 394 RWTQ

conservative tune
14 degrees of timing (same as stock saleen tune)
A/F ratio 11.8 until higher RPM's....then it's 11.6.

Before:

During Install

After Install:

Dyno Sheet with Conservative Tune and Stock Saleen Timing: (Red line is before the mods, Blue line is after)
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Recap

The numbers are pretty sweet but they're only one part of the equation. I decided to go with a conservative tune and keep the timing the same as what saleen has stock. This will ultimately "hurt" the final numbers. If you check out performance autosport's install of the chicane intercooler...they added several degrees of timing after install and came up with their numbers. I did not.

You can make dyno numbers look incredible by tweaking a bunch of factors. I did not pack ice, spray nitrous, use race gas, leave my car on the dyno overnight to let it cool, dyno it on a different dyno, or any number of things to inflate the results. My tech dynoed it after driving it 35 minutes to the dyno, strapping it down, and hitting it immediately (no cool down). It was done under virtually the same conditions (temp, humidity, etc) as the previous time to get a good comparison.

Honest results..that's the "gloo promise!"

Things to note:

The accelerator sits lower now than it did in the stock position because of a different length throttle cable for the single blade throttle body. Took about an hour to get used to....then I liked it.

After the addition of the Tork Tech intake and TB.....the supercharger is now louder (because of more air) and has a slight "woosh" sound when I get into boost because of the single blade. Sounds freakin awesome. I'll get a video this weekend if the weather clears up.

If you have the LFP supertank, the heat shield for the air filter will not fit (this is an optional piece you can buy). I even relocated the supertank farther to the right to give the air filter clearance and it still would not fit.

Installation by someone that hasn't done this before will be a real pain. Tork Tech doesn't mail you instructions. You can download some from their website, but the are for installing the FULL KIT with the M112 supercharger on a MUSTANG GT. The saleen is configured differently than the GT and things like the EGR adapter, heater hose, etc. will give you problems.

Also...the saleen series II sits farther back than an M112, so clearance at the back of the engine bay can/will be an issue. My firewall had to be cut into and then repainted in order to get the kit to fit. Even then it still just barely fits.....and I mean barely.

Your tech will be sifting through hundreds of hoses at your local auto parts store trying to find some that will fit (no hoses are included with the kit). Also...the instructions tell you what to do but not how to accomplish it in many cases.

Review of the Tork Tech Kit

Install is a royal pain as specified above. Not much help from Tork Tech.

After driving the car last night I had one thought:

"Holy $*%&!" Scary fast.

The throttle response is unbelievable. Here's a reenactment:

-Stock to Accufab 75mm TB: "ooh...that's nice"
-Stock to large single blade oval TB: "oh WOW! this
should be illegal."

Kinda weird....but if you look at the dyno chart..I actually gained more torque after 3,200 RPM's than I did before 3,200. I thought it would be the reverse with this kit. It's weird to be cruising in 4th gear and be able to punch it with a roots supercharger!

The driveability of my car is much improved. Now when I hit the gas it really wants to take off.

So that's my review. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try and get videos up as soon as I can.

PS- Stangking....I can't use the temp sensor from saleen because I had a different sized thread welded onto the bottom of my LFP supertank. The new sensor will be coming/installed soon and I'll have my gauge back.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 AM
StangKing
2nd Gear Member

very nice write up... A+++
Old 05-01-2009, 11:57 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Glad to see you got it all buttoned up Good numbers. Now put a couple more degrees in it The Saleen tune sucks *****!

Casey
Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HaneyMotorsport.Com
Glad to see you got it all buttoned up Good numbers. Now put a couple more degrees in it The Saleen tune sucks *****!

Casey
Haha....it's a custom tune but with the same timing that saleen had at stock. My tech added 2 degrees (global) timing to it during tuning (just for fun) and he started to get a little detonation. We decided to scale it back.

We could have tweaked it to get more power, but I told him to keep it very safe. I don't want to blow out the non-forged bottom end!

We'll see what happens in the future....but my car already feels VERY fast. I have a convertible anyway....so my car is mostly for show....but it still packs a good bite now.

Last edited by eviligloo; 05-01-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Very nice Igloo....some of the best numbers I've seen coming out of a Series II! Heck, they are really good for a modified Series IV set-up 03 or 04 SC for that matter.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Tas
2nd Gear Member

awesome. what kind of boost numbers and temperature do you see?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:51 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tas
awesome. what kind of boost numbers and temperature do you see?
Since I kept the same timing....i still see around 10lbs of boost at the top end.

Not sure about the temperature yet because I still need to get a temperature sensor that works. The one that's installed at the moment didn't end up working. There's one on order right now.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:45 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Week 2 and I still love my new setup.

There's only one thing that still bothers me. I'm still confused about their claim of all this down low torque you're supposed to gain. If you look at my dyno chart there was almost 0 gain down low.....it's all up at higher RPM's.

Don't get my wrong...my car feels a lot faster and I love it. It's just weird that they specifically made that claim and I saw the complete opposite. Still can't figure it out.

Maybe it's because I didn't change the timing? Maybe they tweaked their numbers from the "before" dyno and detuned the car to make the final numbers look better.

Any guesses?

Quick Reply: Tork Tech/Chicane Intercooler Install