Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Tork Tech/Chicane Intercooler Install

Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikebna
could be, but it sounds like you know them well enough, don't you?
Yeah....I know them pretty well. It's just because the labor hours are mounting up for this project. Oh well!

I'm headed up to check out the car tonight and see the progress.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM
tailsshrout

well good luck I cant wait to see the outcome
Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Latest update:

1. Firewall was cut and painted. Had a little bit of trouble getting flat black paint to match....but he found something that will work (I haven't seen it yet).

Perhaps my motor sits slightly farther back than other people's motors....but the nipples on the back of the intake plenum still barely have clearance after cutting out some firewall. It will fit but it's still really tight.

2. Manifold, new intercooler, new intake plenum, and supercharger are back on the car.

3. Stock GT EGR has been installed, but it still won't fit correctly with the adapter that Tork Tech gives you. So we're scrapping the EGR adapter and stock GT EGR. Anyone else that does this in the future take note!!! DELETE THE EGR OFF THE BAT and ditch the egr adapter that they give you with the kit. You will save yourself time and headaches.

4. Hopefully everything will be installed and tuning will commence next week. I'll post an update.

PS-Just a corrective note for an earlier post......my shop quoted me 10 hours TOTAL (which includes the intercooler install). He's still trying to stick to that. I was under the impression that I was already on the hook for 10 hours and the time was continuing to mount. Not the case. whew!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Some other random notes:

I spoke with Jim III at JDM. They installed 2 of these kits on series II cars in the past and had similar headaches. Their approach was to delete the EGR off the bat, reroute the heater hose (I can't remember exactly how....but you could ask), and change the fitments on the back of the intake plenum to 90 degree fitments. They also had some problems on one of the installs about the intake tube hitting the oil fill area. They had to shave off some material to get it to fit.

I spoke to another person that installed the Tork Tech kit and they said that they simply took out the fittings on the back of the plenum, filled them, and then drilled some new holes for the fittings farther down the plenum. They also rigged up a solution on the heater hose by cutting two hoses and sticking them together (which they admitted doesn't look very pretty).

Info is hard to come by on these kits since they're new and only a couple of people have them hooked to series II superchargers.

Hopefully this thread will help someone down the road.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:11 PM
tailsshrout

when you had you temperature sensor installed for the intercooler h20 temp, did you use a new sensor? If so where did you get it?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:00 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Yep. Used a new sensor (one with the range of something like 60 degrees to 220 degrees which is similar to the old one). I think he got it at NAPA auto parts.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Tas
2nd Gear Member

Question

car running yet?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Still no. He ordered a temperature sensor that he thought would work....but it turns out it was a GM sensor that required an extra part to work. So he scrapped that one and ordered another one. We've been waiting for a week for that one to come in and apparently it was lost in transit. Scheduled delivery date is today.

Couple of other notes:

1. If you have the LFP supertank, the tork tech heat shield will not fit.....even if you relocate the tank to the right. It will fit if you have the stock intercooler reservoir.

2. PM me if you want to buy a heat shield for your air filter.

3. While my car was in the shop this past week.....one of the helpers was disconnecting an extension cord from a ceiling outlet. While he was yanking it out from a distance....it suddenly flew out and knocked something heavy off a shelf near my car. So now I have a dent in my car right above the wheel well.

So now it'll have to be hammered out and resprayed.

4. Hoping to have dyno results by the end of this week as long as the sensor comes in and the weather gets better for dyno testing and tuning. After I get it back, though....it'll go right back into the shop to get the dented panel repainted.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:57 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Quick Update:

Numbers are in! I'm going to pick it up tonight. I'll post dyno charts and pictures soon.

New numbers: 387 rwhp/ 394 rwtq

(timing is 14 degrees and was not adjusted from Saleen's tune)

Gains across the entire spectrum for both.

Last edited by eviligloo; 05-05-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 PM
tailsshrout

congrats. can you find out what temp sensor was used I need one too. I cant wait to see these pictures and dyno sheet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tork Tech/Chicane Intercooler Install