Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Tork Tech/Chicane Intercooler Install

Old 03-12-2009, 12:14 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Default Tork Tech/Chicane Intercooler Install

Ok...so here's the first update.

What I'm having installed:

1. Chicane Intercooler
2. Tork Tech Intake (entire intake side including cobra TB, intake plenum, filter, 90mm maf, etc)
3. 42lb Ford Racing Injectors
4. Temperature sensor is being welded in/installed into LFP supertank

I just talked to my tech and he's starting to run into some problems for the tork tech kit. First...the heater hose is in the way and seemingly needs to be relocated. Second...the EGR adapter turns everything 90 degrees and makes it an awkward angle.

Looks like it'll take quite a bit of work to get everything to fit right. Ugh.

I just went to the website and emailed him some installation instructions. Hopefully they'll help a little bit. The kit doesn't come with any instructions when they ship this stuff to you.

On the positive side...the intercooler is about as straightforward as you can possibly get. And as an added bonus of doing all of this at once....the injectors are easily accessible. So no labor charges for that. Yay!

One last note: If anyone is looking for 42lb injectors....I'd recommend buying them used and going to a ford lightning forum. They come with 42's as stock. Just a helpful tidbit.

*EDIT*- D'oh!!!! Just got a call from my tech again and it looks like the outlet tube on the chicane intercooler is crooked.

*EDIT #2*- After installation my tech conveyed that the intercooler install is, in fact, not the most straightforward install. It takes some wiggling and negotiating to get it to fit....especially with variability in the production. The first one fit perfectly, but had a bent nozzle. The second one the nozzle fit perfectly but the rest didn't fit as well as the first one.

Last edited by eviligloo; 04-29-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Werecow
2nd Gear Member

Default Questions...

I believe you started another thread on this, but I have a few questions:

If I am not mistaken, you are trying to install the Eaton M90 on this intake?

I thought the Tork Tech intake used the stock Cobra I/C, so are you using the Chicane I/C for the original intake or a Chicane upgrade for the new intake?

I am curious about the thermostat mounting. It appears it kind of floats between the intake and radiator using a modified radiator hose. Can you clarify?

Do you happen to know the flow differneces between the stock Saleen intake vs the Tork Tech intake?

I hope you are going to have this Dyno'd so we have an idea of before and after numbers. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Werecow; 03-13-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Notification setting
Old 03-13-2009, 02:45 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werecow

If I am not mistaken, you are trying to install the Eaton M90 on this intake?

I thought the Tork Tech intake used the stock Cobra I/C, so are you using the Chicane I/C for the original intake or a Chicane upgrade for the new intake?
The FULL Tork Tech kit does use the stock cobra intercooler...but it also comes with the cobra manifold and supercharger. Pretty sure that full kit wouldn't fit on a saleen without getting a new hood because of the clearance needed for the M112. I like my hood too much to ditch it.

I only bought the intake side of it....so everything on the intake side from the supercharger down to the filter. So I am upgrading the saleen intercooler to the chicane one in conjunction with this part of the kit.

I am curious about the thermostat mounting. It appears it kind of floats between the intake and radiator using a modified radiator hose. Can you clarify?
Sorry....I meant the temperature sensor that is stock mounted in the bottom of the coolant tank for the heat exchanger. It turns out I'm going to buy a new sensor and then get it put in place at the bottom of the tank so I can monitor the intercooler temperature again.

Do you happen to know the flow differneces between the stock Saleen intake vs the Tork Tech intake?
Not sure....but it's a big difference at least visually. Check the other thread and I posted pictures. I just started a new thread because that one was getting crowded.

I hope you are going to have this Dyno'd so we have an idea of before and after numbers.
Yep...but the numbers will be with the addition of the torktech inlet (not the full kit), lfp heat exchanger and supertank (which I already have installed), and the chicane intercooler.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Quick update: The EGR and heater hose will not work with this kit if you have a stock S/C'd saleen.

The heater hose is going to need to be modified because it gets in the way of the intake plenum. Stay tuned for an update on this one.

The EGR mounting position in the s/c saleens is a problem. I have to order a stock GT EGR and will have to use that in order to get the EGR adapter from this kit to work. The other alternative is to delete the EGR.

I took a bunch of pictures at the shop today. I'll post them on monday.

My tech has been trying to get a hold of Joe at Chicane about the bent outlet tube. No such luck yet.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 PM
sycho

ditch the egr, all it does is heat soak the aftercooler!! lower the intake temps!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 AM
04#231

Hey Evil, Just checking in to see how everything is going? Have you been able to work through the issues?

Peace.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Well....one of the issues will be solved soon. Joe is going to mail out a replacement intercooler....so that's coming in from california. No idea when it will get here so everything is on hold. I'm not even sure if he has to make one first and THEN ship it out. We'll see.

Everything else has to be fitted in the engine bay based on where the plenum, supercharger, and manifold are. Then we can deal with the heater hose problem.

Locating the EGR using the same configuration as the GT should solve that problem....so the stock GT EGR is on its way.

I'll post something more when I get some news.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:17 PM
04#231

well, good luck on it. I'll look for your updated posts then.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:15 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Here's the latest update:

The good:

Chicane intercooler is installed.

A fitment was welded into place in the supertank to locate a temperature sensor for the intercooler fluid.

The stock GT EGR was ordered and installed in order to get everything to work. Good that it's solved and installed. Bad that Tork Tech didn't mention upfront that you'd have to return it to stock GT form in order to get this kit to work.

The heater hose has been rerouted now that the shop found a fitting that will create a 45 degree bend. Again....would've been better to know that upfront.

The bad:

The fittings on the back of the intake plenum hit the firewall when installed. The kit won't fit without cutting out some of the firewall. So that's the route that's being taken right now. Tork Tech's approach is to cut the nozzles in half in order to get everything to fit and then use zip ties....but I just talked to my tech and there's still no way to fit it by doing that. It's a depth problem, not a height problem so that doesn't solve it.

So far the install is about 10 hours in. Still got more to go. This is only for the intake side of the kit....I can only imagine how much more work it would be for the FULL kit.

PS- Is it bad when the shop asks for a deposit midway through the install?

Last edited by eviligloo; 04-03-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:46 PM
mikebna
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eviligloo
Here's the latest update:

The bad:

PS- Is it bad when the shop asks for a deposit midway through the install?
could be, but it sounds like you know them well enough, don't you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tork Tech/Chicane Intercooler Install