Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen Parnelli Jones Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
NeoGeo630
1st Gear Member

Default Saleen Parnelli Jones Mufflers

Does anyone know who OEM's the mufflers on the Parnelli Jones edition Mustang?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

Edelbrock
Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 AM
NeoGeo630
1st Gear Member

Thanks Red. Do you know if it's a fairly decent exhaust in terms of performance and sound? I like how it's painted black. The only two mufflers I know that comes in black is the Saleen PJ muffler and the Flowmaster American Thunder muffler. I want to keep everything on my car black. Also I'm looking for that old school muscle car sound. But from what I've read it seems that's not easily possible with the 3 valve modular V8's.

Originally Posted by Red_Devil
Edelbrock
Old 05-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NeoGeo630
Thanks Red. Do you know if it's a fairly decent exhaust in terms of performance and sound? I like how it's painted black. The only two mufflers I know that comes in black is the Saleen PJ muffler and the Flowmaster American Thunder muffler. I want to keep everything on my car black. Also I'm looking for that old school muscle car sound. But from what I've read it seems that's not easily possible with the 3 valve modular V8's.
ever heard a car with frpp cams?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 PM
NeoGeo630
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
ever heard a car with frpp cams?

No I have not.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Red_Devil

I don't know, it sounds pretty awesome, but the PJs sound came from the cams and such mostly. Honestly, most cat back exhausts sound the same to me. I would say 90% of most "sound" talk is exageration (unless you have some stupid glass packs or something). Your not gonna hear a lot of differance until you start switching headers and mid pipes.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

^+1. Gone through a couple of different exhuast setups and the biggest sound "makers" were force induction (Obviously), midpipes, and headers.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 PM
NeoGeo630
1st Gear Member

I don't know, it sounds pretty awesome, but the PJs sound came from the cams and such mostly. Honestly, most cat back exhausts sound the same to me. I would say 90% of most "sound" talk is exageration (unless you have some stupid glass packs or something). Your not gonna hear a lot of differance until you start switching headers and mid pipes.
I kind of figured the sound from the PJ must have been more than just mufflers. I know headers and midpipes make a big difference. Too bad I live in California. Can't run long tubes here or change out midpipes legally.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Red_Devil

Originally Posted by NeoGeo630
I kind of figured the sound from the PJ must have been more than just mufflers. I know headers and midpipes make a big difference. Too bad I live in California. Can't run long tubes here or change out midpipes legally.
sure you can, ford racing makes 50 state legal shorty headers as do some other manufacturers. You can also get catted mid pipes that will pass.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:24 AM
tonylop33
1st Gear Member

sure you can, ford racing makes 50 state legal shorty headers as do some other manufacturers. You can also get catted mid pipes that will pass.
Isn't there a law about not replacing cats with anything other than OEM?

"New catalytic converters sold or installed in CA must be designed to meet the following requirements:
1. Must be an OE replacement only - no "high flow" or performance cats
2. Must be granted an ARB exemption
3. No used or rebuilt used cats can be installed

Briefly, this means that you are now required to obtain a new ARB-exempt catalytic converter for your specific vehicle if you require a replacement. The street use of aftermarket performance "high flow" units and aftermarket mid-pipes with non-exempt cats is not legal in CA. For more information on this legislation, visit: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/aftermktcat.htm

The catalytic converter plays a major role in the emissions reduction of a motor vehicle. The vehicle manufacturer has matched a specific catalytic converter to the vehicle to minimize emissions output. Both CARB and the EPA do not allow the replacement of a catalytic converter with non-exempt "high flow" performance replacement unit. In fact, it is technically not legal to even replace a converter unless it has been proven by technician to have failed, and then it can only be replaced with an exempt OEM equivalent unit. (However, enforcement of this requirement is difficult and is the primary loop-hole that allows the usage of so-called "high flow" catalytic converters. Many of these units are sold with the disclaimer as being a "race" component and are not intended for street use.) Due to the hundreds of vehicle models produced over the years, it is virtually impossible to determine by glancing under a car whether the converter is the original unit, a legal OEM replacement, or a non-legal aftermarket "high flow" performance unit. However, changing regulations require imprinting the exemption number, manufacturer code, and manufacture date, making it easier for technicians to determine the origin of the product and the intended application."

Quick Reply: Saleen Parnelli Jones Mufflers