Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Steve Saleen presents: 2010 SMS 460 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 PM
jdivad
2nd Gear Member

Default Steve Saleen presents: 2010 SMS 460 Mustang

Steve Saleen presents: 2010 SMS 460 Mustang

Orange County, California. (07/20/2009) Yesterday, Steve Saleen and his company SMS Supercars unveiled the first CAD illustrations of the 2010 SMS 460 Mustang at the “Mustangs Northwest Roundup” event in Seattle. The SMS 460 Mustang will be the only Mustang authorized to bear Steve Saleen’s name, to use the benefit of his heritage and to incorporate his performance innovations derived from over thirty years of racing and manufacturing experience. Steve Saleen, President and CEO of SMS Supercars: “The SMS 460 Mustang embodies everything I stand for. It reflects my unrivalled tenure in the Mustang business, my passion and love for the Mustang brand.”

The SMS 460 Mustang’s striking design separates it from any other vehicle in the market. Chief Creative Officer of SMS, Phil Frank notes, “Steve Saleen’s new SMS 460 Mustang is a dramatic, timeless and iconic visual statement that confidently leads the pack, continuing the evolution of the image of the Steve Saleen brand.” The SMS 460 Mustang is in final tooling and prototype testing stages and the market launch is planned for later this year.

The SMS 460 Mustang will offer a 4.6 liter V8 engine featuring 470 hp and 427 ft-lb of torque, while the even more powerful SMS 460X Mustang engine with all new internals and extensive headwork pumps out 655 hp and 600 ft-lb from the enlarged 5.0 liter V8. Both use the new (patent pending) SMS 296 Supercharger for their incredible horsepower and torque gains. Transmission options are a 5-speed automatic or 5-speed manual on the 460 or a 6-speed SMST manual on the top of the line 460X. Performance for both cars is striking.

The SMS 460 Mustang accelerates from 0 to 60 in under 4.5 seconds, while the 460X manages the same in closer to 4. In addition to engine output, handling, road holding and braking improvements, the 2010 SMS 460 Mustangs will feature Steve’s signature Watt’s linkage suspension with all-new geometry. New SMS 15” six piston front and 13” four piston rear brakes deliver impressive stopping power to match the jaw-dropping acceleration. An available 21" rear wheel upgrade will help harness those mighty ponies. The SMS 460X Mustang will also feature the unique (patent-pending) Steve Saleen Red Butterfly Induction System. The interior with all-new Alcantara and leather SMS performance seats features the patented Signature Series chevron stripes. Multiple seat chevron and SMS unique exterior colors are available through the SMS Tailor Made options.

Steve Saleen receives Lee Iacocca Award for “dedication to excellence”

On July18, 2009, Steve Saleen was honored with the prestigious Lee Iacocca award for dedication to excellence in perpetuating an American Automotive Tradition during the “Mustangs Northwest Roundup”. Says Steve: “I am humbled to receive this award, it reflects my over thirty years of ongoing involvement in the passion and love for Mustangs.”

About Steve Saleen’s SMS Supercars – Speed, Science and Style

Steve Saleen’s SMS Supercars, a company founded by renowned race driver and automotive icon Steve Saleen, is a manufacturer of high-end lifestyle performance vehicles, technical performance parts, lifestyle accessories and apparel. Steve Saleen’s SMS Supercars designs, engineers, tests, certifies, manufactures and assembles all of its own products and vehicles. SMS Supercars’ first products, the SMS 570 and SMS 570X Challengers were launched in early 2009, with the SMS 460 and SMS 460X Mustang models destined for market entry later in 2009.

Customers interested in buying the only authorized Steve Saleen Mustang can contact SMS Supercars directly at www.smssupercars.com or by calling (714) 400-2121.

SOEC, founded in 1991, is the premiere organization for Saleen owners and enthusiasts, with thousands of members worldwide.

Source: SMS Supercars and Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club

Exclusive portions of story © Copyright 2009 Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club
Freely distribute with proper credits
Link to this story at: The Saleen Forums at soec.org

Last edited by jdivad; 07-20-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Image Add.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

rear is terrible
Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Rear is nice, same as on the Challenger.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

If anyone's familiar with an F1 car, they can probably guess what is somewhat hidden in the center of the carbon fiber fascia.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:15 AM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Default Not Impressed

I've loved Saleens since before I bought my first fox body Mustang 20 years ago. For some reason, this design does nothing for me. This is probably the first time I've ever said that about a Saleen (except for maybe the Heritage Saleens, which didn't stir much in me either).

I think I actually like the 2010 Shelby GT500 better. I'm really, really bummed to say that.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 AM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

I just think its a bunch of ****. I read an interview with Phil Frank about how they went through the design process and they used a bunch of references to "DNA"... but frankly, anyone with any slab of intelligence can see, its the standard S281 body kit adapted to the new body style, and nothing else... dont **** in my hand and tell me its new, just admit to what your doing...
Old 07-21-2009, 04:21 AM
LovinLife
1st Gear Member

If it's the only car authorized to bear his name why doesn't he call it a Saleen 460?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red_Devil
I just think its a bunch of ****. I read an interview with Phil Frank about how they went through the design process and they used a bunch of references to "DNA"... but frankly, anyone with any slab of intelligence can see, its the standard S281 body kit adapted to the new body style, and nothing else... dont **** in my hand and tell me its new, just admit to what your doing...
Well said, Jared. It doesn't look like they put too much time in coming up with a new design.

This car has no appeal for me whatsoever....mostly because of the back end.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 AM
06SaleenX
3rd Gear Member

def not feeling it, 2010 GT500 far better looking
Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

^+1 I think everyone hit the nail on the head. Wouldn't buy, but glad to see Steve is still working on mustangs. Maybe for the next model they'll put more thought into it.

Quick Reply: Steve Saleen presents: 2010 SMS 460 Mustang