Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 PM
tmclaas
2nd Gear Member

Default Saleen Exhaust Question

So i swapped a cobra motor into my 2002 s281 and sold the stock engine tranny and full exhaust. I bought the full bassani exhaust now and have run into a problem. I figured that a regular GT bassani catback system would fit. However the problem i am having is the tips do not drop down far enough to fit out the rear fascia properly. My question was did Saleen custom make the hangers on the their exhaust? If anyone can help me out with any information that would be great. thanks

Tom
Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

Saleen didnt make their exhaust, it was made by Borla and then later by Maganaflow. I dont think any special hangers were made. You may want to check to make sure your rear fascia is aligned properly and not sagging.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:53 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

^+1. Saleen just replaces the exhuast. I don't believe they do anything special.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

My recollection comes from the SN95 days, but theories should still apply...

Take into consideration that Saleens were lowered, the exhaust routes through a lower rear fascia and in the end, the angle of the exhaust needs to not point down. So I'd say you may be looking at a longer hanger as well as possibly a different bend coming away from the rear axle.

Even if only the hanger needs to be changed or extended, you're at least looking at adding some tip length to clear the rear fascia, so I'd start with that and see if you can work the right angle at the tip or a combination of both.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Saleen Mike
2nd Gear Member

Text deleted....no need to take a direct stab at a guy for responding and trying to offer assistance.

The exhaust mounted the same way as the OE did.

Zip ties were factory equipment

Last edited by sowaxeman; 10-22-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

I don't think lowering factors into how the exhaust sits. Also I think the Saleen fascia sits at the same spot as the OE in regards to exhaust because you can use any aftermarket exhaust with it and ive never seen a problem...
Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

^+1 thats true.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:15 PM
tmclaas
2nd Gear Member

I found out today from saleen that for 99-04 saleen ahd flowmaster custom make axle back systems for them. They used stock ford stuff until after the muffler and then had flowmaster custom make the over the axle pipes. This is because they narrowed it up about 2 inches and dropped it a good inch and a half. Stock exhaust on a GT measures 49 inches from center of exhaust tip to the other tip. A Saleen measures 47 1/4 about. So saleen had to narrow up the pipes. They also made a special hanger which drops the exhaust to come out of the fascia properly. So now wondering if anyone has a old stock saleen exhaust i can buy.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Saleen Mike
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tmclaas
I found out today from saleen that for 99-04 saleen ahd flowmaster custom make axle back systems for them. They used stock ford stuff until after the muffler and then had flowmaster custom make the over the axle pipes. This is because they narrowed it up about 2 inches and dropped it a good inch and a half. Stock exhaust on a GT measures 49 inches from center of exhaust tip to the other tip. A Saleen measures 47 1/4 about. So saleen had to narrow up the pipes. They also made a special hanger which drops the exhaust to come out of the fascia properly. So now wondering if anyone has a old stock saleen exhaust i can buy.
Whomever told you it was Flowmaster was wrong.

It was Borla, then it was MagnaFlow.

They were the "cat-back" kits for Mustang GTs. You can order these kits from Borla/MagnaFlow.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:56 PM
tmclaas
2nd Gear Member

Saleen Mike, If you have a 99-04 Saleen go measure the distance apart of the exhaust outlets in the rear fascia. It is right about 47 from center to center. Now go find a GT and measure the same thing. ANd then come back and tell me if a GT exhaust will fit. It wont trust me 47inch compared to 49. Plus the tips sit lower on the saleen than the GT. Why dont you also call saleen and try and order a catback system for a 2002 s281. They will tell you we never installed a catback system. We used stock ford exhaust including mufflers. Then we had the company specially make the pipes going over the axle and the hangers for the tips. Once you do that you can try and tell me different. Thanks though

Quick Reply: Saleen Exhaust Question