Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Pictures from SMS Supercars on January 27, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:03 AM
MARZ
1st Gear Member

Where's the 2010-11 SMS 460/460X Mustang variants? First I heard, they were supposed to have shown in at the LA Auto Show back in December. Was it back to the drawing board for them once they saw Saleen Performance Vehicles' 2010 S281?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:51 AM
SC1039
1st Gear Member

It appears from the pictures that they are doing *something* with Mustangs.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

The SMS Mustangs are indeed coming!

I am not at liberty to say when, but it will be well before the summer show season -- now don't quote me on that, as I'm just covering my bases here with plenty of fudge factor.

Steve wants to unveil the Mustang to the press as a production car. While the design and much of the engineering has been done for a long time, the task of production tooling is now being completed, parts are being manufactured and so on -- and it takes as much time as it takes to get it done right.

If you want to put a deposit down, I'm sure they'd be glad to build you one to your liking, and give you a better idea as to when to expect it. Be forewarned that part of the timeframe also relates to Job 1 of the updated 2011 Mustangs and when those start shipping to SMS, as I understand all of the 2010 SMS Mustang allocation has been sold.

If you have an SMS Mustang on order, you can contact SMS for details.

If you don't have an SMS Mustang on order, you can just wait patiently along with the rest of us.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Why don't they have their new mustangs already on display? I can see they're working on plenty of Camaros and Challengers. Why not stick with the bread and butter of what got Saleen in the business to begin with? I need to think twice about ever buying another Saleen(or Saleen new variant) product. They may skip out and shut down all of a sudden and not warrant their products, in my opinion.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:37 PM
LovinLife
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jim D.
The SMS Mustangs are indeed coming!

I am not at liberty to say when, but it will be well before the summer show season -- now don't quote me on that, as I'm just covering my bases here with plenty of fudge factor.

Steve wants to unveil the Mustang to the press as a production car. While the design and much of the engineering has been done for a long time, the task of production tooling is now being completed, parts are being manufactured and so on -- and it takes as much time as it takes to get it done right.

If you want to put a deposit down, I'm sure they'd be glad to build you one to your liking, and give you a better idea as to when to expect it. Be forewarned that part of the timeframe also relates to Job 1 of the updated 2011 Mustangs and when those start shipping to SMS, as I understand all of the 2010 SMS Mustang allocation has been sold.

If you have an SMS Mustang on order, you can contact SMS for details.

If you don't have an SMS Mustang on order, you can just wait patiently along with the rest of us.
How in the hell are they going to get 2010 Mustang chassis to build from. I thought the order bank was already closed as production will be winding down in ~4 weeks for the switchover to 2011 cars. I would be surprised if SMS already has a 2011 pre-production car to work with and doubt they have access to CAD models to design their supercharger to fit the new powertrain. I don't see them having a forced induction option until at least September.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 AM
jdivad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LovinLife
How in the hell are they going to get 2010 Mustang chassis to build from. I thought the order bank was already closed as production will be winding down in ~4 weeks for the switchover to 2011 cars.
The 2010 GTs for 460 conversion are in-stock, ready to go. Once the 2010 vehicles are completed, production will move to the 2011.

Originally Posted by LovinLife
I would be surprised if SMS already has a 2011 pre-production car to work with and doubt they have access to CAD models to design their supercharger to fit the new powertrain. I don't see them having a forced induction option until at least September.
Surprise!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:38 AM
MARZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdivad
The 2010 GTs for 460 conversion are in-stock, ready to go. Once the 2010 vehicles are completed, production will move to the 2011.

Surprise!
Any idea as to when SMS will unveil the 2010 SMS 460 / 460X models?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by brad281
Why don't they have their new mustangs already on display? I can see they're working on plenty of Camaros and Challengers. Why not stick with the bread and butter of what got Saleen in the business to begin with? I need to think twice about ever buying another Saleen(or Saleen new variant) product. They may skip out and shut down all of a sudden and not warrant their products, in my opinion.
Part of the reason the old saleen closed was that Steve wanted to work with other cars, not just Mustangs.

I did notice the "plug" though under the Yellow Saleen Stang, "Customer car in for warranty work" This has been a huge point of contention for Saleen's Mustang customers...Warranty. Not a topic I would bring up in this forum

I've never bought a saleen product but I've read both sides of the story. Pretty shady IMO.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 AM
LovinLife
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Any idea as to when SMS will unveil the 2010 SMS 460 / 460X models?
2012?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Derf00, good post. I especially like the ending comment. I just find it very strange that a company like that would change things up and move so swiftly. Without there being a reason the public wasn't aware of, as this was a private company.

Quick Reply: Pictures from SMS Supercars on January 27, 2010