Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

New Saleen VI.5 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default New Saleen VI.5 Supercharger

Has anyone seen a pic or heard any news about the new Saleen VI.5 supercharger? I have looked on saleen's site, brenspeed, and jdm, but no pics. I have talked with each and they all say they have been testing them. The new model supposedly comes in a 3 piece design, a new lid, and something with the water crossover integrated into the unit? The VI will be discontinued the rep from Saleen told me. They have the pricing listed on Saleen's site, but I don't believe the picture shown is of the new sc.

Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on this? I am in the market for a Saleen sc for my 06 gt and you guys know best.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 PM
mikebna
3rd Gear Member

They look the same on the outside, but Saleen has ported them and knocked off the rough edges inside to reduce the turbulance on the airflow, Brought the screws in house for manufacturing, and upgraded the SC bearing in the snout.

I don't know anyone who has one but I did snap a pic at SEMA.

I would not be afraid to buy one from SPV as they will stand behind it 110%.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Get that bad boy as you will love the new found power over stock
Old 03-12-2010, 04:46 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys and great pic. I was just having trouble thinking of what the new upgrade was? I'm assuming they want to provide the market with something a bit different under the new owners than Steve's. I'm sure the base design is the same but with a little tweaks. The tuners, didn't say anything to me about them being ported and the edges smoothed out, not even the Saleen rep. I'm not sure about that, that would be good if they did.
Mikebna or Snakebite, can you tell me anything else about this blower? I have the money saved and I really want to pick the right one. it's about going with the 6 or 6.5? If there were any real upgrades, I would rather go with the newer one if need be. I don't understand the idea of a new lid or hat? Would that just be a new top lid design for the Sc? I already like the looks of the VI, amazing.
Thanks guys.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 PM
mikebna
3rd Gear Member

I spent two days at SEMA talking to the SPV Reps, and Jess Albright and I discussed the VI.5. They are not trying to make it just their unit they own the rights to it as is and all Saleen parts . The old design was good but they found several ways to improve it. PM Jess or email him for more info.

I just recently had my lid ported for better air flow, not sure what lid you are referring to though.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

From my understanding it was just ported, but I could be wrong. Jess is on this forum and could chime in. Unless they want to keep those secrets tucked away for a little longer. Either way the VI was a great blower so I would imagine the VI.5 would only be better.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Yea, I'm thinking a revised VI.5 may be better than the VI, and for the money, I need to somehow choose the right one.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Jess Albright
1st Gear Member

Series VI.5 represents a series of changes to the original design. The first was the rear bearings, we changed those to make the way more durable and last much longer. Second we changed the snout bearings for the same reasons, third we changed the entire manifold housing, we made the new castings much cleaner through the runners, tighter bore dimensions for quieter operation, and machined out the back where the air flows through essentially porting the unit. The next change will be the lid, I can tell you that if you like the looks of the one now, you will still like the look of the new one. That will be ready within the next few months. After the lid we will be making the screws in house, we have some made up now and are doing testing on them as we speak, no date as to when those will go into retail units though.
We took everything that has been learned about the Series VI over the past 5 years and applied it to making the VI.5 better. I don't think you will be at all disappointed in this supercharger.

Thank you
Jess
Old 03-14-2010, 02:58 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Wow, thanks Jess. I noticed you said the screws will be made in house and the lid will be changed? So I'm assuming the VI.5's already being sold have the original VI.5 screws and the lid from the VI? Summer's coming up and I'm getting excited about adding a saleen sc to my 06 gt. Our Illinois summer's don't last too long.
Now I still got to think over whethger I should go with the VI.5 on the market now or try to wait for the new lid? I wish you guys had a prototype pic online of what it may look like?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Either way you'll be better off waiting. When the VI.5 is released I would imagine the pricing on the VI would come down.

Quick Reply: New Saleen VI.5 Supercharger