Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 AM
jdivad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Selo
I'm really glad I found this forum.
Hi Mike & welcome to MustangForums.com!

I'm looking to purchase a really nice 2007 Saleen PJ Boss 302, but I have some concerns before I pull the trigger.

First, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me the exact warranty info, although I realize the warranty is about up.
The 2007 S302 PJ featured a 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty on the engine. The rest of the Saleen package is covered for 3 years / 36,000 miles. The remaining Ford items are covered for 3 years / 36,000 miles.

Both MJA/SPV and SMS Supercars offer warranty programs for the S197 Saleens.

Second, have these been good, reliable, cars?
I have not read or heard about engines letting go, bad tunes, or these vehicles falling apart. There is a recall on the Gen I watts-links rear & all 500 PJs have their speedometers calibrated incorrectly.

I've been driving my PJ since March or April and I love it!

Can your average Ford tech work on these cars, or does it require someone with specific skill and knowledge of the product?
For the most part, yes. Your average Ford Dealer should be able to service an S197 Saleen Mustang.

In order to get a 2nd set of wheels and tires, how will I know what would be acceptable stats, as I don't think Tire Rack will have this car in their database? Standard GT data for the year? Did Saleen change the hubs, offsets, anything?
Your only concern would be to find a set of wheels that will clear the front 14" Saleen/Stoptech brake system.

At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I'm thinking of taking this car to the track for a few DE's per year. Has anyone else here tracked the car? Anything special I should do for setup? Braided steel brake lines? Of course, new pads and super blue brake fluid...
There is a fellow open tracking a PJ who posts on the two dedicated Saleen forums.

Last, how do you like the Tremec gearbox? I'm a Porsche and BMW owner and I'm used to pretty smooth shifts. The guy I'm buying the car from is a Porsche guy and he says he loves it, but then again he's trying to sell me the car!

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Mike
I think the gearbox is fine, but I find the OE Ford shifter features a vague feeling in the 2-3 shift & the 3-4. The Saleen designed short shifter is neat, but is still the OE Ford shift mechanism.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Selo

Thanks for the responses. I was pretty close to buying the car and am sure it would have been a blast. Unfortunately, I found out about the recall on the Watts link rear end and the seller could not verify to me whether or not his car had been recalled or not, and whether or not the work had been done. Cince I hoped to track the car and would be driving it pretty hard, it wasn't a risk I could take. So the deal is off for now.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses. I was pretty close to buying the car and am sure it would have been a blast. Unfortunately, I found out about the recall on the Watts link rear end and the seller could not verify to me whether or not his car had been recalled or not, and whether or not the work had been done. Cince I hoped to track the car and would be driving it pretty hard, it wasn't a risk I could take. So the deal is off for now.
MJ/SPV in Michigan would be able to verify if the work was done or not -- 800-888-8945

For what it's worth, Fritts Ford in Riverside, California has a brand new low-numbered PJ on the lot (in the 70s), and it would have a warranty. Don't know if they're dealing or not.