Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

AC Pulley Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
SnowXRacer

Default AC Pulley Rattle

I did some searching on here and noticed that there are others with similar problems as what I am having but I don't think exactly the same thing. I have a rattle on the AC Pulley. The plate on the front with the three bolts can be spun freely with the car off. Right behind that pulley there is a flat plate. That plate has enough clearance on it so that I can move it around. The rattling that I am hearing is this plate moving around when the pulley is turning. I will assume this is not normal. Is something loose or has my pulley/AC clutch worn out? Thanks for your help!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:28 PM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SnowXRacer
I did some searching on here and noticed that there are others with similar problems as what I am having but I don't think exactly the same thing. I have a rattle on the AC Pulley. The plate on the front with the three bolts can be spun freely with the car off. Right behind that pulley there is a flat plate. That plate has enough clearance on it so that I can move it around. The rattling that I am hearing is this plate moving around when the pulley is turning. I will assume this is not normal. Is something loose or has my pulley/AC clutch worn out? Thanks for your help!

with the a/c off it should spin freely because its not engaged . the sound your hearing could be the compressor getting ready to check out on you.i would get it look at asap because a seized compressor can and will ruin your whole a/c system
Old 04-11-2010, 01:34 PM
SnowXRacer

Thanks for the response. Like I said, The plate with the 3 bolts/pins (can't see them that well) does spin freely so that is good. I know where the noise is coming from and its not the compressor. If you look directly behind the front plate with the three bolts, there is a metal disk. Reminds me of a huge washer. Its the off-color plate in the picture thats about 3/16 wide and touching the back side of the plate with the three bolts. That large disk is free to move. When the pulley is spinning at idle, that plate vibrates and hits the front plate causing the noise I am hearing. When the car is off, I can touch that disk and move it back and forth and spin it around. My question is should that disk be that loose, should it move freely, and if not, do I need to rebuild the AC pulley?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 PM
justinXcore

I am having the EXACT same problem as SnowRacer! Can someone please answer his questions as I am a bit worried about that big brown washer (anyone know the name?) that is rattling too.

Any input is apprecaited!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Werecow
2nd Gear Member

This doesn't appear to be a Saleen specific issue. Perhaps you can take it to an AC shop and have them check it for you. There are a few that do free inspections.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:56 PM
Chance Lee

Default A/C Clutch Assembly

You need to replace the Clutch itself. It's a 3-piece part assembly, can be done with compressor still on the car. You can buy one on amazon for about $52+
remove the belt
remove 8mm bolt in center
pull the pulley off with a pry bar being careful not to damage inner shaft to compressor...
then just reassemble. Very easy quick and simple fix. Much cheaper than replacing compressor... compressor isn't cheap, not counting having to recharge entire AC system... clutch went out on you and it's all that needs replacing. They're bad about going out before the compressor is actually needed to be replaced.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:45 PM
Soulless302

Originally Posted by Chance Lee
You need to replace the Clutch itself. It's a 3-piece part assembly, can be done with compressor still on the car. You can buy one on amazon for about $52+
remove the belt
remove 8mm bolt in center
pull the pulley off with a pry bar being careful not to damage inner shaft to compressor...
then just reassemble. Very easy quick and simple fix. Much cheaper than replacing compressor... compressor isn't cheap, not counting having to recharge entire AC system... clutch went out on you and it's all that needs replacing. They're bad about going out before the compressor is actually needed to be replaced.
LOL I think they may have fixed the problem by now. (10 years later)

Seriously though, where did you find a $52 clutch assembly? I'm currently having these same issues and need to replace mine but the cheapest I've found is $165! Mine has completely failed. There is molten rubber thrown all over the engine bay and the outer part of the clutch is now crushed into the inner part. I've cut the belt off but I can't find the C clip and the 8mm bolt is missing. I'm hoping it didn't snap off inside.