Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger

Old 05-24-2010, 08:36 AM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Default Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger

Just thought I would pass along my experience with this upgrade. I purchased it from Lethal Performance (who I would highly recommend purchasing this unit from). I recieved it within a few days and it came with 99% of what is needed to install on a Saleen 281SC. The Installation instructions are for a GT500, but other than the differences in wiring it is pretty much the same. A few things to note during this install:
-Afco provides two 3/4" hoseswith the kit for coolant lines. One is straight and fairly long, the other is shorter and has a 90 deg. bend in it. For our cars, it was necessary for me to purchase (2) 3/4" heater hose couplers (male to male), as well as another short section of 3/4" hose with a 90 deg in it (I will explain this more later) as well as some extra hose clamps.
-Per the instructions, remove the horns, trust me they get in the way
-There is little clearance between the back of the fans and the 2 rigid lines running in front of the radiator, so be careful when putting the unit in. I would highly suggest getting a helper as I came close to dropping the unit several times.
-I would suggest (since everything is apart), adding a switch to the fans. These are some high performance fans that pull alot of air and I honestly can't believe they need to be running 100% of the time. Just a thought.
-The two ground connections for the fans was a little tricky. You may need to add an extra ground connection in the vicinity of the HE Pump because the supplied ground connections wires are not long enough to run back up to the location specified in the instructions.
-The Blue Vibration reducers provided are a pain in the a$$. They kept wanted to pop off when I was trying to position the HE onto the new mounting studs.
-I had to make a minor modification to that plastic shield under the vehicle, there was some interference between the new HE and the cover, so I cut off a small portion of it (as seen in the picture) and it fit back perfectly.

When plumbing the new HE with the stock Saleen pump, because of the orientation of our pump and the orientation of the inlet on the Afco unit, you'll need two 90 degree bends and a coupler. It is tight, but I was able to get it to work using the one supplied 90 degree and one I had lying around and a coupler to tie them together (see pics). You will notice that I had also added a piece of meshing onto the opening of my Saleen bumper to protect the new HE. This was easy once I had the bumper off. I can provide some details if anyone is interested.

Overall, an excellent and easy install (for an amateur like me anyway). Unit works great. We had 90+ deg temps yesterday and over the course of a 30 minute drive the intake temps never got over 100 deg.
Attached Thumbnails Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger-102_2497.jpg   Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger-102_2499.jpg   Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger-102_2500.jpg   Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger-102_2506.jpg   Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger-102_2507.jpg  

Old 05-24-2010, 08:39 AM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Additional pics.
Attached Thumbnails Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger-102_2496.jpg   Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger-102_2498.jpg   Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger-102_2504.jpg   Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger-102_2501.jpg   Installed: AFCO GT500 Dual Pass, Dual Fan HEat Exchanger-102_2508.jpg  

Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 AM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by esanger
Additional pics.
looks good. what has been the net effect of intake temps after the new HE. Before and after temps would be great info.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
esanger
2nd Gear Member

Well, I don't have anything data logged, but I can tell you that last summer on the hot days I was seeing on average around 160 deg on my Saleen gauge (which probably isn't real accurate) and now with the hot humid weather we have been getting the past week I am seeing around 130 max with it averaging around 120 or so..
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM
mustangt500

Great setup